PDA

View Full Version : Most unusual hookup???

Raesen
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I caught a bream last weekend and thought it was a reasonable size with not much fight untill I got it in and then I was amazed at how he was hooked (or not hooked to be more precise).

The line (leader) had looped around a couple of teeth on the lower jaw and the line continued along his underbelly and around the pectoral fin (i think thats the one just behing his ar#e) and the hook had back hooked the line. Sort of like lasooing the poor bugger from underneath. No hook inserted anywhere just looped around the line and the line pulled tight from his teeth to the back fin. I even lifted him out of the water (no net used). No skill here from me the angler.

Obviously he lived to fight another day and get hooked properly next time.

I was thinking with all the fishos out there on this site there must be heaps of "hook ups" that are not hook ups or just bad luck for the fish.

I'd be interested to hear from any who have had a similar experience.

Cheers
Pete

Taipan
10-04-2007, 03:54 PM
We had a work function out at the Barra farm up here and I hooked one Barra properly and another got caught in the line when the hooked one thrashed.

lifestyle
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Most unusual hook up would be my ear. Father inlaw put the bottom treble of a viper lure through it while casting for barra. I had a 6 inch rattleing ear ring for about 3o minutes. He said it was an acident . Me wonders though.

jim_bream
10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I saw in a fishing mag last year (Bush n Beach or Qld Fishing- can't remember) a fella claimed he caught a bream by hooking the eye of a hook in its mouth already.....
My dad caught a bass in Zimbabwe which had one of his old lures in its gob- so he claims......

marty+jojo
10-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I caught a flathead by it's ####### whilst bait fishing a few years back. I got in the habbit of picking my rod up out of the holder and striking just in case something was on the end. It paid off on more than this occasion.
Marty.

Jeremy87
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Caught a barra at awoonga that went for both my lure and my mates at the same time.

ffejsmada
10-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Like lifestyle, my most unusual hookup would be me. My nose in fact. Untangling a bottom bashin' rig at night my brother flicked the dropper out of the way and oops! 5/0 tarpon hook straight up the snoz!!!!

Hooked a 28kg Hammerhead through the eye once. He sure put up a performance.

lifestyle
10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Mate that is an absolute classic the hook in the nose photo. When they through you overboard did you swim with a good action. And what were you mates thinking of catching?

sandyd
10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
My husband caught himself in the eyelid. It was at this point in our married life he found out that if he needed urgent help, I was not the person to have around. The truth is I nearly past out when he said the hook was in his eye, he was close.

Nico.d.R
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
i got a snag on the shorncliffe jetty on a shark line , budge it lose when i tried to snap the line , pulled in a 20l paint tin full off mud , when i was landing it i saw a hole in the bottom with a big muddy looking at me , off course it was a jenny .

Raesen
10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
I knew there would be plenty. From a nose ring to a muddy paint pot.
Doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks and Cheers
Raesen

Jack Thomas
10-04-2007, 11:27 PM
you guys seen the video of bill dance?

check this one out where he hooks his nose.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJWPnmqo_1g

pretty funny guy.

heres the full video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=llshJAPKDG4

Murph77
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Believe it or not once caught a small barra (35cm ish) on a Classic F-18 and the lure was wedged length ways in his gob but no hooks were stuck in him. Definately too much of a mouthful for the little fella and he wasn't able to spit it out, even with a couple of jumps!!!

sambos
11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
went freshwater flyfishing on a commerical dam down the south side awhile ago cant remember the name goodies or glassies somethin like that
any way all new to flyfisning got the big casting wind up back&forth back&forth then stop . turned around .my wife had round earings in and i,d hooked her through the left one.

Nico.d.R
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
did she put up a good fight ? lol

sambos
12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah, not the sort i was hoping for though mate.
as usual she won.

sambos
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
here,s another unblievable story. i took a builder i work for fishing ,along with my brother inlaw . we were fishing a mark north of barwons pulling good fish.the builder wasnt much of a fisherman more of a drinker .he had asked to borrow one of my rods.reluctantly i loant him a near new tld 25 setup.the builder decided he needed a piss stop so he sat the rod down in the corner instead of the holder.yeap before i could say anything ,bang ,something hits it and rips it striaght overboard .i was furious .brother in law goes dont worry ill catch it on my patternoster rig .yeah right .2minutes later he goes i got some weight .(still doubtfull as i know his ability). sure enough he pulls up the setup, but one of the dropper hooks is hooked through the little eyelet where you clip on the shoulderharnees.what a crock. fish still attached too , good snapper about 8 kg.(brother in law might be allright after all)

escott12
13-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Saw this on funniest home videos, of all places. Someone had hooked what looked to be a small trev, 25 - 30cm. Their mate was netting it when a metre plus barra came flying in after it and jumped in the net. Do you reckon some people are luckier than others????

oztrav
14-04-2007, 03:15 PM
yeah i seen that on funniest home vids too the bastards

Raesen
14-04-2007, 09:05 PM
I bet she did and I have a fair idea of who won

bushbeachboy
15-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Caught an anchor recently on my anchor, chain, rope, shackles too.