PDA

View Full Version : Aging Canvas Treatment

Wyoming
09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm wondering if there is a magic product that protects canvas and particularly the stitching. I have a 5 y.o. boat that lives on the water and the bimini canvas is in good nick, but the stitching has gone to God. It has literally just fallen apart.

I wash it occasionally, but I don't lovingly attend it each time I fish. Is this the usual thing? Is ther any product that I should apply?

Thanks
Neil

MobileBoatCanopies
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Generally if the stitching is a cotton thread then it will last about 3yrs before the canopies will need to be restiched. Check with your local trimmer when it is being done to make sure they are using one of the newer synthetic threads that will last a lot longer at the expense of not swelling and sealing as well as cotton threads.
It is better to get it done before the panels come apart as that can make it more difficult and possibly a little more expensive.

Cheers
Terry

Wyoming
10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks Terry, but do you think I need to dress the cotton and / or the canvas with any special product?

Mrs Ronnie H
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Terry

Are you as you suggest-- mobile boat trimmer.??????????? at Narangba?????????????

Ronnie

MobileBoatCanopies
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Wyoming: There are some products you can apply to the stitching to help seal it but nothing that will really protect it.
The thing that does the most damage to canopies is pollution. If you keep them clean and dry as much as possible they will last longer. Give them an occasional clean with mild soapy water every now and then, more often if you live near a busy road, and make sure they are stored dry.
Avoid using harsh chemicals like truck wash or chlorine bleaches as they will do more harm then good.

Ronnie: I am a boat trimmer, but we are no longer mobile. However as the name has been around for over 20yrs it makes it easier for previous customers to find us if we keep the name.

Terry

Wyoming
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your help here Terry.