PDA

View Full Version : A B8 2 Hardb8's Conversion In 1 Session.

Hardb8
09-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi all,
My soon to be Father in law was sceptical in believeing me at best,When I'd answer his questions of :- Hows ya fishin been goin? Its usually something like..30 Bass,And a couple of Yellas. "Oh yeah,On lures I spose.Good stuff" He replies.I know he's susspicious,And I was never sure if he really believed me.

He's a skilled angler,And has good knowledge of quite a few species with all his fishing has been salt based.The odd exception being the occassional Barra trip when he visited Awoonga.

I personally haven't fished the salt for some time,As I'm suffering from a very bad case of Bass fever.But upon this Easter weekend we stayed at Bribie,And I had to take a rod.

I was packin me light spin rod in the car,With a box full of my old favourites,When he pipes up...."Where ya off to?" Dunno I say,Just goin for a look around."Ya mind if I come?"I could instantly feel the pressure,And could hear the (Lures..What a bunch of mumbo jumbo,Comments already on our fishless return)

I was fishing blind,With no knowledge of this place.But after finding some real fishy lookin water.My above paragraph couldn't be further from the truth.

As we fished,I thought aloud.Saying what I was thinking,And doing,Remembering all the questions I asked my mentor when I was learning.He mimicked my actions,And retrieves,And still asked questions as we fished.

I had caught and released two fish,And explained my actions (Of release) to a puzzled onlooker.Then it happened....His first fish was the target species.A Flathead at 56cm.There was a quick high five,A couple of pictures taken,And the lenght recorded.He was happy and so was I.Then he chose to release the fish.

And I knew what was about to happen.So I got the camera ready.I could see the strange feeling come over him as he liberated that fish of his own free will.He was more excited to see it swim away,Than he was to see it come to the shallow sand bank to be landed.I too felt warm and fuzzy inside.I then took a photo of an Old Salt bait fisho,Who's just changed the way he looks at fishing...And fish.

We continued fishing,Cracking around a fish every 10-15 minutes.And to see the smile on his face throughout the session was pricless.And he almost had to be draged from the water via my Patrol and a snatch em strap.

Our end tally was me :- 14 Flathead and three Bream.Best Flatty at 69cm.
Keith :- 6 Flathead.Best one at 56cm,And a bust off from a real goodin.
All fish were released.

Keith used an old Penn rod and a 4000 sized reel that was (Half spooled) with 20lb mono.It was the most suitable setup he had at the time.I down sized his leader to 8lb Flurocarbon to raise more strikes.I usually fish 15lb leader.But it was forgotten in the hasty packing.And it was 8 or 20.Mid session I offered him a go of my stick,To give him a break from the weight of his rod.I didn't get my hands back on it.LOL.And a few more conversions were made.Mono to Braid,And glass to graphite were also done without me even tryin.

That evening he hurt my brain with questions about rods,Reels,Braid and knots.And he's sent me shoppin so his Mrs dosen't find out.LOL.

It's good to know that now on our family holidays I won't be takin all the blame for comin home so late.And I'm lookin foward to em more now than ever.

It felt like I'd come full circle,Passing on the knowledge,That was passed to me.I though it would be my kids that I hope to have in the future that would be the receipients.But in an odd way,It's the other way around.It made me proud to be able to share this with him.It'll be a session long remembered.And the first of many more.

It was good to hit the Briney again.Where it all began for me.:)

ffejsmada
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
That's good fishin mate in anyones books. Well Done!

sarg
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Nice report m8 :) . Next you will have too show him the in's and out's of AUSFISH.

Andrew

Obi _ Wan
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Well done mate, thats a great conversion, gotta warn you though, you will still be outnumbered 2 to 2 when you both get back late.
Sorry i missed you at the meeting the other night (stocking the pine) hope to see you at the next meeting.

Obi_Wan

Murph77
11-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Top read mate and sounds like a great session too. He'll be converted for life now

nuggstar
12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
wicked flatties mate

oztrav
14-04-2007, 03:10 PM
those cheeky little grins on old timers are priceless