PDA

View Full Version : boating - what a depressing hobby.

Sea-Dog
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
If its not one thing - its another.

No boat, but money - couldn't find the right boat.

Right boat - Money used for something else, finance comes too late.

Save a little money - got a little boat, with a "few" things to fix

The "few" things turn into multiple time/money consuming things. Spend holidays fixing boat.

Got boat fixed - weather turns to crap.

Take boat and family for test run - boat leaks

Go home, fix leaks.

Weather improves - too busy with other things.

Weather OK, time OK - car needs fixing.

Car fixed - weather turns crappy again.

Finally go fishing with kids - Kid says "I feel sick, can we go home."

Weather fine, car OK, not busy - Tilt/trim craps itself.

Tilt/trim removed - not fixable. Decide to get new motor

Minister of finance approves new motor

Go to tinny show - secure good deal on motor.

Old motor removed at home - discover transom soft beneath motor mount.

Meanwhile - looking at reports section - Last of pelagics and prawns Now.

I consider knitting as new hobby.

Now expecting world wool shortage - Price of wool to rise astronomically. >:(

Splash
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Look on the bright side - at least you are funding your kid's future by spending into local economy..... :-)

Try hunting!

Navi
09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Arh The life of a boat owner, sounds great doesn't it.....
always look on the bright side, you own a boat.
cheers Chris

PinHead
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
LOL...just go out and buy a new boat,

Splash
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
In my view, a BOAT (by definition) means spending money. If one is not prepared to spend money on a regular basis, don't own a boat. Tough I know.

fishingjew
09-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Dont forget what boat stands for.

Bring on another thousand!

Chimo
09-04-2007, 02:30 PM
My Minister for Accounts and Finance suggests it is in fact "Bring Out Another Thousand" for that is what she claims happens around here, be it the boat, the trailer, the $WD (should be 4WD but she claims the former is correct) !

Chimo

PinHead
09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I could list what I spend a year on boating but that may depress me...better you are depressed than me.

Spaniard_King
09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately throwing $$ away is a fact of life when it comes to boating, buying smart takes time to learn when it comes to boats

Garry

blaze
09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I tell my wife it only costs
for the 20 footer, trailer rego $150, boat rego $50
12 footer trailer reg $48, boat rego $50
insurance is tied in with a heap of other (hidden)
so I keep 2 boats for $300 and I wont enter any discussion that disagree with that as she may read it.
cheers
blaze

Chimo
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey Blaze

With all those savings one day soon you will have enough for a trip over to Australia.

Good for you!

Chimo

Argle
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey its only money, you cant take it with you.

Cheers and beers
Scott

Seahorse
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
im with u scott.
here for good time not long time.

greg

disorderly
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I honestly dont mind spending the money.
But it sure is depressing looking at the bloody boat whan it blows 20-25knots for weeks on end.
I end up a bit like a junkie.Nothing else matters.Just cant wait to get my fishing fix.

cheers Scott

Vitamin Sea
09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Sometimes it gives me the sh^%s as well, especially when you get a weeks of crap weather ( refer weather report for this week )and you can't use the thing you spend so many $$$ and time on getting right >:( , was looking forward to getting the young fella his 2nd mac this week:)

Learnt a long time ago boats mean dollars, no getting away from it......however if it's what you enjoy, why not, your a long time in the ground.

cheers

Sea-Dog
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I have just discovered that the "Right Boat" has now become available again.

I'm a little suspicious.

Why do you buy a boat in November of 2006, then have it for sale again in the yard you bought it from, only 4 months later?

What was wrong with the boat?

The Minister of finance is still happy with the original "Right boat".

It is a Tri-hull custom ally plate. 18' with 100 HP yammie 4 Banger on the rump.

I suspect that the buyer may have found that it goes like a submarine and is trying to offload it to some other poor bugger. But I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I may have to throw a refundable deposit on it and take it for a test run.

Just in reviewing the new pics of the boat I noticed that the trailer rego is still NSW. The boat yard originally said that the boat was sold to a bloke from either Townsville or Cairns. One would assume that you would have the boat and trailer regos put into your own name in 4 to 5 Months.

Something smells a bit fishy here........

Pics below - Opinions?

PinHead
09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I see several members here have a Minister of Finance..methinks you need a bloodless coup and become a dictator in residence.

Sea-Dog
09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey Pinhead, I asked the boss if I was allowed to do that.

She just gave me a withering look.:-[

marty+jojo
09-04-2007, 05:32 PM
It dedfinately seems a bit suss to me. I would tell them i am interested and i want it for a day to test it. If they don't let you i would go elsewhere. A mate of mine bought a plate boat without a test ride and it is a very wet boat, maybe if he had of tested it first he may not have bought it.
Marty.

Luke G
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Sea dog,

The owner of that boat is the owner of this site www.spearfishing.net.au (http://www.spearfishing.net.au)
He recently found out after buying the boat he can no longer dive due to his ear.

Just thought id let ya know.

Sea-Dog
09-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Sea dog,

The owner of that boat is the owner of this site www.spearfishing.net.au (http://www.spearfishing.net.au)
He recently found out after buying the boat he can no longer dive due to his ear.

Just thought id let ya know.

Thanks Luke, I have left a post on that site asking Ryan to contact me.

I assume that Ryan is the one - correct?

Cheers, Ross

Luke G
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah mate.

Cheers

wessel
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Reading the beginning of the email reminds me of my neighbour. Exactly the same kind of hassles for months until the one fine day dawns perfectly. Not a breeze in the air, the boat is fixed, the car is working ...... the man is going fishing with the whole family and everybody will have fun......

So the wife, the kids, the dog, just about everything is thrown onto the boat and it is hooked behind the 4wd. It is at that point that the one wheel hub seperates from the axle due to the excessive weight placed on it. (plus it wa srusted but we will not go in to detail now)

When I came around the corner, the neighbour was standing next to the boat in the driveway busy doing up the bbq. The kids, the wife and the dog was stuck in the boat sitting on dry land and still in his drive way. Today was the day he was going to have a nice time on the boat - even if it means that water is an optional extra.

Dad wanted the family to have fun in the boat and today they will have fun in that boat. They had lunch in the boat that afternoon and apparently they had a good time.

The boat was sold the next day as is and where is.

To this day I do not dare mention that event to him or his family.

Wessel

Luc
09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
When my wife complains, I tell her "Fine, I'll sell the boat & fishing gear and take up smoking, drinking and pokies"

Boat is cheaper and healthier.

Luc

nigelr
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Nice bit of psychology there, Luc! Must make note to self........
Interested to know how the Samurai goes Sea-Dog, rather liked the look of that one myself!
Damn shame for the previous owner, like a bit of spearfishing myself, would be a very bitter pill to swallow, having to give up an activity you love passionately. Best of luck to him.
So many trueisms in this thread, sometimes I think, the more I think I know, the less I actually know!
Cheers to all.

Great White
09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I could list what I spend a year on boating but that may depress me...better you are depressed than me.

I think the cost of fuel in a trip in your boat would run mine for the next 2 years, am I getting close ?

It's only money ;D

PinHead
10-04-2007, 01:32 AM
It's not that bad Peter...a day down the pin usually runs out somewhere between $50 and $100, obviously dependent on how much I travel.

Jack Thomas
10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
boat - bring on another thousand..... or 10

Mrs Ronnie H
10-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Someone told me years ago a boat was a MONEY PIT.
And agree with former. If its not one thing its another.
If its not something wrong with the boat its the weather and so on and so on.

We all need to whinge about something and it may as well be our boats.

Have fun everyone while you're out fishing in your money pit--- we wouldn't be anywhere else.

LOL
Ronnie

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I race drag bikes now as well as the boat, all of a sudden boating looks cheap. :o Leigh

PinHead
10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I race drag bikes now as well as the boat, all of a sudden boating looks cheap. :o Leigh

waht sort of bike Leigh? something like a US pro stock or perhaps Spidermans??

dogsbody
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Hell i think about how much money i've pissed up against the wall. Owning a boat is cheap.

Dave.

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
waht sort of bike Leigh? something like a US pro stock or perhaps Spidermans??

Turbo suzuki hayabusa, which i put the motor together today for, and turbo alky wide tyre bike. Cant post any pic's as my main computer has crashed & am using my laptop. Leigh

Sea-Dog
10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey Lee, Is this why you have 8 Sec as part of your user ID?

8 Second standing quarter?

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey Lee, Is this why you have 8 Sec as part of your user ID?

8 Second standing quarter?

Yes, hopefully the busa will get into the 8's. I use the same forum id every where, i dont hide my self on any forum. Leigh

bastard
10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I couldnt stand not to have a boat ,i wouldnt know what to do with myself,i had a ball over easter even with the bad weather,the boat i just brought runs on the smell of an oily rag even with twin inboards,i left rudy maas thursday arvo went millionairs row thurs night the 5 ways friday night,went down the north arm of the coomera river sat and stayed sat and sun night at sancturay cove,went down the south arm of the river yesterday and spent last night at wave brake,then back to tipplers this morning then home to rudy maas on a total of 80 litres,and that was cruising at 25 knots,we took our own food and grog and had a cheap and enjoyable easter.I dont know how deer servicing legs is going to be though,i was going to pull one off and have a look and replace what ever needs doing i guess.I havent found any one who can recomend a good mechanic so i guess ill have to buy a manual.Cheer up life wouldnt be the same without boating.:)

PinHead
10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Lee..aim for the 5's like spiderman.
US pro stock has now cracked the 7 sec barrier reasonably consistently.

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Lee..aim for the 5's like spiderman.
US pro stock has now cracked the 7 sec barrier reasonably consistently.

Word is the some one in OZ is / has getting Jim Brantley's bike which was built by larry and is currently the fastest & quickest in the world. Should be a good season next year. My pockets arent deep enough to play with them. Leigh

PinHead
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
probably stevens or upton i would guess

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Sorry for side tracking the thread.

Will have to wait for the press release on who it is. Leigh

Sea-Dog
10-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry for side tracking the thread.

Will have to wait for the press release on who it is. Leigh

Ahh, all good threads get side tracked - that's what makes 'em interesting. ;D

Redspeckle
10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Its been a learning curve in up grading to bigger 2nd hand boat over 3yrs ago now () but I like doing projects in rewiring the boat /duel battery set up and building things for it like my portable live bait tank in doing this gives myself confidence in the boat out on the water and when brakes down no how to fix it in which I have done in the past
Here on Ausfish I have ask questions in how to do things and fix it on the boat if I bought a brand new boat wouldn't have asking many question in setting up the boat because with new boat its all there for you and anyway I like my current boat does the job
if motor goes just get another one for it and re-do it up again be fun and I am taking my niece & nephew camping on south straddle island this weekend and what better way getting there in your own boat and take all the camping gear with you and go where ever you want to / fish out of it later (touch wood)
So its not depressing hobby but something to have fun ;D with and I am lucky to get bit overtime in my job to pay theses things in my boat
Mitch ;)

mromanis
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I got into boating on a holiday 18 months ago, so when I go out now in my own boat it feels like a little holiday. Yesterday my kids caught their first fish, 14 flat heads in PPB (all released). The sparkle in my kids eyes makes it all worth every cent.

Brumby
10-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I couldnt stand not to have a boat ,i wouldnt know what to do with myself,i had a ball over easter even with the bad weather,the boat i just brought runs on the smell of an oily rag even with twin inboards,i left rudy maas thursday arvo went millionairs row thurs night the 5 ways friday night,went down the north arm of the coomera river sat and stayed sat and sun night at sancturay cove,went down the south arm of the river yesterday and spent last night at wave brake,then back to tipplers this morning then home to rudy maas on a total of 80 litres,and that was cruising at 25 knots,we took our own food and grog and had a cheap and enjoyable easter.I dont know how deer servicing legs is going to be though,i was going to pull one off and have a look and replace what ever needs doing i guess.I havent found any one who can recomend a good mechanic so i guess ill have to buy a manual.Cheer up life wouldnt be the same without boating.:)

Mate, you're trying to earn your name! (As in, "you lucky bastard") I was like a bear with a sore head all weekend, whinging about not being out on the boat. Sounds as though you had a good one - ah well, there's always next weekend. Got to agree though, don't know what I'd do without one.

ozlongboarder
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Bitch
Of
A
Thing

I have 2 boats. ::)

Thats a bit harsh.

We had foul weather this easter on the lake for most of the time but I got out in both of them with friends and family, caught fish and had fun and it only cost fuel... probably $50 total.