PDA

View Full Version : A question about butts??

finga
09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Gidday all,
A quick question......
Why does everyone use cork on their butts and not wood???
Is it availability, or grip, or ease of shaping, or weight, or.......??
Cheers Scott :D

Parra
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey finga,

I don't know anywhere near as much as a lot of guys here but just to give you my take on the subject i believe it could be because,

1 weight ; traditional cork is very lightweight.

2 feel ; to me cork just feels nice in the hand. Warm in winter but not to hot in summer and is not too firm or soft.

3 looks/tradition ; cork just plain looks good on a lot of different rods and has been used for a long long time. I know some people think it should be used only because, thats the way it was always done. I don't really believe that as such but as u may be able to tell i do like a nice cork handle for a lot of reasons.

4 durability/workability ; if looked after cork can be quiet durable and can be worked with easily. It can be turned into just about any shape and size. (some limitation do apply though) and designs can be placed into the cork itself using various techniques, which for some reason u just don't see on many of the shelf rods.

Before i start sounding like a cork salesman i must point out that good quality cork is becoming very expensive and hard to come by these days. and poor quality cork just looks shabby and has limited durability.

Sorry i can't talk much about wood as i have not used it yet. I love well turned wood and iam sure theres advantages and disadvantages to using it for butts, iam sure somebody here with more experience will be able to fill us in.

These are just my opinion so far and other will disagree with a lot of what i said, and have a lot of other reasons, but it will be good to get other opinions for this is how we learn.

Cheers parra

BilgeBoy
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I was kinda hoping the rod might float if I oopps loose a rod over the edge again. Have been meaning to drop my rod in the Neighbors pool to see if it does.

If not...Well I recon it feels a lot nicer in the hand and definitely has a a more traditional look to it!!

BilgeBoy

Parra
09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
BilgeBoy,

might float with just a really light rod and extra long butt, but doubt it.

Once you add a reel then straight to the bottom i would say, but hey could be wrong.

Parra

choppa
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
mrs choppa has a nice butt,,,, firm and feels nice in the hand,,, think its some kind of neoprene rubber,,,, but its always shiny and easily maintained with a quick wash with warm sudsy water,,,and she's had the same one for a few years now,,

but i believe cork was traditionally used due to its lightness and ease of forming shape,,,with newer products becoming available and the cost effectiveness of synthetics,,, it went out of trend for a while,,, but its getting to the stage again that your seeing more and more cork butts in the shops,,

the thing that i have noticed over the years is the old cockroach likes the ""foam"" style butts if there not stowed away and cleaned properly,,,i don't believe cork or wood have this problem,,,,

choppa

PinHead
09-04-2007, 12:09 PM
have both a wooden and cork type.

roz
09-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I'll give this one a miss.

r.

PinHead
09-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll give this one a miss.

r.

butt why?? don't you think mine look good ???

finga
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Whick do you prefer Mr Pinhead???

If I remember correct (and if I go down into the dungeon) most old rods had wooden butts so the cork theory is gone as a material used traditionally. (well the 8 or so oldies I have here dating from the 1930's whick are cane, split cane and glass anyways)

The only reason I'm asking is I've been thinking about Owens mouse hick-up and Choppa's cocky problem to the EVA grips and the longtivity of the rod.

Here's a more traditional one I made the otherday out of saddle wood.
The butt section is 140mm and the foregrip is 80mm. The weight is just under 80gms so weight isn't an issue IMO.

I might be a bit biased but the different grains and finishes possible in wood is endless if the mind allows.

I think I'm going to have to try making some different corkies now to see which I like best. ;D

I wished I could make the rest of the rod now....come on RB M&G 8-)

PinHead
09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I like the rod with the wood butt...but that is because the rod in total is great to use...I got it made by some bloke up the Sunshine Coast...very light and well balanced.

Stuart
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Have you taken that rod down off the wall and got the thing wet yet mate? Have you taken it fishing yet?

Stu

PinHead
09-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you taken that rod down off the wall and got the thing wet yet mate? Have you taken it fishing yet?

Stu

several times..I had it out on Sunday for a bit of a fish...no success..coupled with a Shimano twin power 1000 it makes a very easy to use set up.

sid_fishes
09-04-2007, 06:26 PM
scott, mate i have to ask, what is it with you and butts???? [ just joking] but i am a bit worried about the look of the 2 butts[second and third pics]. sorry i didnt make it up today but i had a fellow ausfisher here to sought out some work he wants done, i have to learn to say no cheers sid

darryl13
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
you get better feel with cork handles rubber/foam next then wooden butts last
you dont get a lot of feel with wooden handles

Stuart
09-04-2007, 07:32 PM
you get better feel with cork handles rubber/foam next then wooden butts last
you dont get a lot of feel with wooden handles

Not to sure how you come to this conclusion Darryl, would be interested to hear it though. In my 20+ years of rod building, I have always found timber to be the best for feel and sensativity. Cork would come a second and EVA/Foam would be the last choice. Cork is great, dont get me wrong. But in reality, cork is extremly porous and will and does loose some sensation. Timber is solid with no voids and once glued to a blank becomes one with the blank.

Stu

finga
09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Is that wooden one one of your creations Stuart??
What do you finish them with??
Nice, real nice. ;D

finga
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
i am a bit worried about the look of the 2 butts[second and third picscheers sid
Holly crap Batman...:P
I just asked the cook about that and she reckons it looks like a big doodle :o
Bugger, bugger, bugger, crap :P

Guess where it's going tomorrow.....:-/
Time to edit the pictures now :'(

PinHead
09-04-2007, 07:58 PM
finga..stuart did build that rod for me... more than happy with it. It will be here on the RB weekend if u want to check it out but be warned...stu will probably brag about it...LOL

sid_fishes
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
stuart braggs about everything, thats why he,s an ausfisher[ and he is good at what he does] but dont tell hey we,ll never hear the end of it

Stuart
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Na, You will never hear me claim a number 1 as a rod builder. Im sure you have heard that claim from many others. I just like pushing design ideas with blanks, butts, thread and what ever I can think of. Their are many great rod builders in this country, there are also many that shouldnt be building rods but do. I have some new timber rod butts coming out very soon that will look better and feel better in hand. Pin Head, you may have to buy another one mate. :P

Stu

Great White
09-04-2007, 11:14 PM
finga..stuart did build that rod for me... more than happy with it. It will be here on the RB weekend if u want to check it out but be warned...stu will probably brag about it...LOL

I don't know if I am on the right page here Greg (cause I have been lying low for a while) but after reading this thread this kind of talk sounds like something out of sexpo;D

roz
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't know if I am on the right page here Greg (cause I have been lying low for a while) but after reading this thread this kind of talk sounds like something out of sexpo;D

I think it's wise to steer clear, it could be some form of strange male bonding thingo.:o

PinHead
10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
tis ok Pete..at the RB weekend last year Stuart demonstrated to everyone how to hold their butt...lubricate it prior to insertion and the correct amount of glue to use..then came the insertion and the correct amount of force require to get a satisfactory result...I think everyone (including Roz) was pleased with the insertion into the butt and then onto fitting the guides etc.

Stuart
10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Pin Head

Spoken like a true "Male Pro". Sounds like a you have gay tendencys mate, I will keep my Butt well and truely away from your front end. How did this thread get turned into some homo topic besides PinHead starting it.::)

Stu

PinHead
10-04-2007, 10:46 PM
gay tendencies???? I just described how you instructed everyone to glue the butt onto the blank...dunno what you were thinking as you read it.

finga
11-04-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm just sorry I started this thread now. :'(
Not really...all good fun in the end ;D
I think we're going to have to come up with a new name for butts.....just to save the confusion.
I'm not game to say to Roz...gees you've got a nice butt just incase the :gorgeous: (the cook) sees it or Roz sees it and they get the wrong idea then it'll be biffo to me 'til I look like this :confused: and then this :freak: then I'd be like this :wreck: for the rest of my life waiting for the next round.
It funny how the mind wonders though isn't it??

Any suggestions for a new name for butts??;D

sandyd
11-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Scott what about shaft.

To me it seems more like that then butt. I never could understand why it is called a butt and even had to ask where it was in relation to a rod.

roz
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Scott what about shaft.

To me it seems more like that then butt. I never could understand why it is called a butt and even had to ask where it was in relation to a rod.

Shaft!!!!! PinHead's going to have fun with that!!!

Sandy what on earth were you thinking.

We are going to become an endangered species if we bat on with this.

Lucky_Phill
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
This thread has a Certificate of Censorship from Australian Rodbuilders Incorporated, Julian Clarey and the Tribal Worshipers of Wood Butts:-

PG

( apparently ? )

PinHead
11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Shaft!!!!! PinHead's going to have fun with that!!!

Sandy what on earth were you thinking.

We are going to become an endangered species if we bat on with this.

I am not going to say word on that one Roz..way too many one liners spring to mind.

BilgeBoy
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey pinhead

That butt you made...could be a good donga;D

BilgeBoy

sid_fishes
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
shaft,,,,,,, bat on with this, the mind boggles

sandyd
12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I am not going to say word on that one Roz..way too many one liners spring to mind.

I must have read previous comments incorrectly, because this is not the reaction I expected. :-[ wasted my time throwing the bait. ;D

ldnicolai1@comcast.n
17-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Cork is aesthetically nice but it is fragile. For saltwater, you see little cork. The rod holders and rocket launchers would surely take their toll.

For durability and ease of replacement, a cord wrapped butt can't be beat. We use tarred net cord and finish it with spar varnish. Often, the reel seat is omitted and the reel is bolted directly onto the cord using the reel clamps provided with the reel. Foregrips are generally hypalon, at times wrapped or shrink-wrapped.

Here is the newest option from Lamiglas. They area straight-walled graphite tube in two I.D.s and several colors. This one is a Seeker 870 with a Fuji reel seat.
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/rod_handle.jpg

roz
18-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Cork is aesthetically nice but it is fragile. For saltwater, you see little cork. The rod holders and rocket launchers would surely take their toll.

For durability and ease of replacement, a cord wrapped butt can't be beat. We use tarred net cord and finish it with spar varnish. Often, the reel seat is omitted and the reel is bolted directly onto the cord using the reel clamps provided with the reel. Foregrips are generally hypalon, at times wrapped or shrink-wrapped.

Here is the newest option from Lamiglas. They area straight-walled graphite tube in two I.D.s and several colors. This one is a Seeker 870 with a Fuji reel seat.
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/rod_handle.jpg

I find cork a viable option for saltwater rods. I have one beach rod passed down to me that would be at least 60 years old & the cork on it is fine.

It definately would have seen it's share of sand spikes. There are three other rods in my collection of various ages, with cork grips. None of the cork has had any finish applied

One is a freshwater barra rod, the other light estuary/bass, their condition is excellent considering both get placed in rod holders frequently.

At the same time I've noticed synthetic grips both hypalon and the cheaper version begin to look a bit sad after a few hot summers out on the water. If I could buy cork fore grips and maybe rear grips to fit a few of my heavier boat rods, I would'nt think twice.

r.