PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest catch

longtail
07-04-2007, 08:51 PM
G'day ,

Has anyone else seen the above program on discovery during the last week ?

About crabbing in the Bering sea north of Alaska , those guys fish in some huge seas . working the deck of a boat in 20ft swells looks bloody scary :o

Discovery channel 1030pm weeknights during april.

Jason.

Navi
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
been watching the last two seasons bloody scary job but good money, the green horn ( new guy ) got $3600-00 us$ for 3 days work ...ok he got 12 hours sleep if he was lucky but hell thats great money if you can handle it...(well some could, may be not me ) great show don't miss it , did you see the one when the boat sank??? only two crew were found but every boat out there went looking, they didn't care about the money they were losing it's mate ship which as boaties i have found a lot of.....

cheers Chris

snelly1971
07-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Yep i am an avid watcher...stuff the money....too bloody cold for me...

Chezzy13
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Yea Its an excellent show, My goodness I take my hat off to them guys, talk about scarey alright..I got really nauseous watching the Trawler rock, :o
And talk about cold, Brrrrrrr....

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w123/Chezzy71/cold.gif

Tangles
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Amazing show, in fact at 7.30 on Discovery ( thik it dealing with MOB) , definitely a hard slog to get the crabs. I have had thse King Crabs over in the states, big bucks for 3 crab legs, with garlic butter sauce,,, yummo.... only thing i found was hot they melt in your mouth, as they cool off it seemed that like a membrane around the crab flesh hardened,, which you had to peel off.. But definitely one of my favs

cheers
Mike

trueblue
08-04-2007, 08:50 PM
The reason they get big money is the method of payment for all fishing boat crew in the U.S. Their pay is based on percentage of catch, not a regular salary, or weekly wage.

The more lucrative the catch, the more they all get paid.

Tangles
08-04-2007, 08:53 PM
For that sort of risk, it seems a fair way of doing it, in one season they lost 5 guys before the season started i think

Herm
08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Another one that loves this show! But, alas, no Foxtel here but get to watch this great show and lots of other not so "quality" viewing when visiting Mum and Dad!:D

When I was travelling in Alaska, I, too, have tasted King Crab, and I agree with Mike

I have had thse King Crabs over in the states, big bucks for 3 crab legs, with garlic butter sauce,,, yummo....

Cheers
Janine

Black_Rat
08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Gotta agree it's a good show.

Chezzy13
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
For that sort of risk, it seems a fair way of doing it, in one season they lost 5 guys before the season started i think:o:o Thats really sad..What about their families, mind you, being in a job like that, you would wonder if they had immediate families..Like I said before I really "Admire" and take my hat off to them..People sit back and enjoy the tasty seafood, I wonder how many give a thought to "How" it got on there table.

tackle world rox
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
The crabs cost about $70 australian each

trueblue
09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
For that sort of risk, it seems a fair way of doing it, in one season they lost 5 guys before the season started i think

All crew members in the US get paid by percentage of the catch, regardless of the species or the risk involved.

same deal applies to fellas in the tropical south line fishing for cod and cobia drinking tinnies as they do it.

just the way it works over there. The cash they earn is directly related to the market price. Higher the market price, the more they get paid as well.

Dezzer
09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
The reason they get big money is the method of payment for all fishing boat crew in the U.S. Their pay is based on percentage of catch, not a regular salary, or weekly wage.

Same in Aus, at least on the prawns anyway

2rods
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I love the show... one of the best on cable IMHO.. yes it's cold and rough but thety know that before they head out each season.

It is the same in most jobs where you get big monet... you put yourself at risk to get it... I use to work underground in the mines and off shore on the oil rigs..... and trust me they are both dangerous jobs..... but well paid.

;D

Black_Rat
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Quick get off the computers it's on now;D

Jack Thomas
10-04-2007, 05:33 AM
ya its pretty crazy. I just home some of theose fisherman are making eenough money thats worth risking their lives.

camsharkman
10-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's a link for the fans.http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Chezzy13
10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Excellent link..Thanks for that..:)

Nico.d.R
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
got foxtel today so i can watch it tonight sounds good .

Nico.d.R
10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
holly sh!t i looked in the guide and its on now 5.30pm

Black_Rat
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's a link for the fans.http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Cool link & oh yeah Sig Rules ! ;D

Tangles
10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Nico, with Foxtel mate youll find there are re-runs after reruns etc etc etc,,, what you miss today you can usually see tommorrow,, then wait for the back to back reruns of an entire series,, i think its on again tonight afain ;D
cheers
Mike

NEWBY
13-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Bloody fantastic show, makes some of the jobs we do or have done look pretty good when you see the hell those blokes go through. I have been watching it for a couple of years as well. the current series is a repeat and I still watch it. Havent watched a show twice since Pulp Fiction and I had to watch that twice to understand it.