PDA

View Full Version : Sensa Brake Controller

Brumby
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm looking for a trailer for the new boat; one possible has a Sensa Brake unit installed. Does anyone know roughly what the controller costs, fitted? I understand that Sensa Brake need their own brand controller and I was kind of hoping to get some info before the agents open again on Tuesday.

Cheers

Carl

shonky1
08-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Thats correct, they need their own brand of controller or you will burn it out. I dont know how much the controller alone is but the whole unit cost me $2300. I purchased it from http://trailerparts.net.au/. They sell the controller seperately. Hope this helps.

Brumby
08-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks Shane,

That's exactly what I was after, they have a controller kit listed at $533.

Carl

Grand_Marlin
08-04-2007, 06:44 AM
G'day Brumby,

You probably already know, but ALKO at Springwood is an agent for Sensabrake.

Cheers

Pete

Chimo
08-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi Pete and others

As a matter of interest, and for my information, when I upgraded my brakes it was suggested to me by one of the trailer makers that there were some issues with durability of the Sensa brake system. I also had some concern re the cost of it and its controller cf to some of the others.

So that being said can you comment on whether the issue of durability and reliability was really correct or not?

Thanks

Chimo

dazza
08-04-2007, 09:07 AM
hi all,
have had sensa brakes on the trailer for a few years now, no problems, yet!!
$533 sounds a bit steep, off of memory (which is a worry!!!) i think an extra set up was about $300 or so, but that was a couple of years ago. i have to get the controls to put on my vehicle, last time i e-mailed sensa brake in new zealand and they put me onto a supplier.
brumby,
i will pm you any prices i get, hopefully we should be able to find them a bit cheaper
cheers
dazza

Grand_Marlin
08-04-2007, 09:32 AM
The sensabrake has a very good name for reliability & functionality.
It is simple in its design, and is very effective.
It also has an over ride function should the system fail, so you are not left stranded with locked on brakes.
It also doesnt rely an a separate battery on the trailer (which has to be kept charged)

There was a rumour of the compressor not cutting out when the sensabrake reached its operating pressure, but I have not spoken to anyone (including ALKO) who can confirm this.

Apart from that - I have not received any negative comments on them.

If I were fitting brakes, sensabrake would be my choice.

Cheers

Pete

Brumby
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Pete, Darren, Chimo

Thanks for the input, I'm on a steep learning curve as far as power brakes go, always having had smaller boats before. I've had a look at all the posts that a search threw up and although the claims of unreliability are a worry, it seems that plenty of knowledgeable people swear by sensa brake too. The trailer is already fitted with the unit, so unless they really stuff me around I'm committed.

dazza, I'll see what I can dig up as far as prices go and we can compare notes.

Cheers

Carl

Chimo
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Carl

They do sell lots so good luck with it. As you may have seen with older posts I ended up going with the Carlisle Hydrastar with a Tekonsha Voyager in car controller that when wired correctly operates the brakes really well. Because of the weakness in the trailer brakes re salt water and calipers slides pistons cups etc I keep the brakes out of the water and use the powerwinch with an idler pulley to retrieve the boat and an absailing "8" to control the boat speed off the trailer as it pulls the double cable out from the winch.

Seems to work ok and hopefully the maintenance on the trailer and brakes could be minimized using this methodology. So far so good. Time will tell.

Cheers
Chimo

searay215ec
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I have had one for about 4 years now, no probs

But you may want to check out fishnet forums, fair bit of negative feedback there

No Tiller
09-04-2007, 10:14 AM
We Have a trailer with Sensa Brake System. The only problem i have had is in wet weather. Not good driving up range north side of Taroom with a semi up your ass and the brakes lock on.
Filled connectors with petroleum jelly and have not had a problem since. Would recomend Highly

Kerry
09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Yes there have been some apparent issues with these brakes as per searay's post.

sempre
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
After having my Sensor brake fixed 3 times , with a waiting period of 3 weeks each time , i decided it was the biggest waste of $2500 that i ever spent .
Got the Carlisle and never looked back .
Sam...

Smithy
10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes we have had issues with our Sensabrake as well. I will be looking at something else next boat.

rat_catcher
25-05-2007, 05:56 PM
The trailer is already fitted with the unit, so unless they really stuff me around I'm committed.

dazza, I'll see what I can dig up as far as prices go and we can compare notes.

Carl - I am in the same situation as you were. I am looking at a boat with a Sensa Brake system already fitted to the trailer and need to get a controller unit to install in my tow vehicle.

What did you end up doing? What prices did you get?

I am in Rockhampton and as far as I can tell there are no sales or service agents here, so it looks like I will be on my own!

If I purchase the in-car controller kit, how hard is it to install and calibrate?

Brumby
25-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi rat_catcher

I ended up not buying the trailer as the seller was a bit unrealistic with his price - for an extra $1000 I've ordered a brand new one with the full sensabrake kit (trailer and car) and best of all if it goes wrong, it goes straight back to the dealer! Both dazza and I ended up with Allstate Trailer Spares as the cheapest for the controller alone, $376 if memory serves. As far as fitting goes, I think its probably an auto electrician job, but I understand calibrating isn't a big deal. There were a couple of threads a while back about it; I know Darren, boatboy_50, had one fitted and had some hassles initially and got some advice from a couple of members.

So is it the 702SB that you're looking at, or have you found something else?

Cheers

Carl

kingtin
25-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Carl - I am in the same situation as you were. I am looking at a boat with a Sensa Brake system already fitted to the trailer and need to get a controller unit to install in my tow vehicle.

What did you end up doing? What prices did you get?

I am in Rockhampton and as far as I can tell there are no sales or service agents here, so it looks like I will be on my own!

If I purchase the in-car controller kit, how hard is it to install and calibrate?

The installation is an auto electrician jobby and from memory I think it cost me about $240 for installation. Calibration is easy and the instructions make it sound pretty basic.............it has to be for me to follow ;D

kev

BM
25-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Sensa-Brake has been a serious issue here in Vic, with many errrr, rather upset people...(putting it grossly mildly). In fact even poor old Dave Gasmier in WA has been through the wringer serveral times trying to get his Sensa-Brake issues sorted...

Far less issues reported with the Hydrastar system.

But i don't know yet what systems are offered in the QLD neck of the woods. Dunbier and Mackay seem like foreign words in QLD!!!! Interestingly trailers appear to be cheaper in QLD but they also appear to be not as well constructed (generally) as the Dunbier and Mackay products available down south.

Cheers

kingtin
26-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Sensa-Brake has been a serious issue here in Vic, with many errrr, rather upset people...(putting it grossly mildly). In fact even poor old Dave Gasmier in WA has been through the wringer serveral times trying to get his Sensa-Brake issues sorted...

Far less issues reported with the Hydrastar system.

But i don't know yet what systems are offered in the QLD neck of the woods. Dunbier and Mackay seem like foreign words in QLD!!!! Interestingly trailers appear to be cheaper in QLD but they also appear to be not as well constructed (generally) as the Dunbier and Mackay products available down south.

Cheers

The Whittleys marketed in Brisbane come on Mackay trailers and although mackay are about 2 grand dearer than some other similar trailers, they are fitted with sensa brakes.

I bought a whittley so I ended up with sensa brakes :-/

kev

boatboy50
26-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi rat_catcher

I ended up not buying the trailer as the seller was a bit unrealistic with his price - for an extra $1000 I've ordered a brand new one with the full sensabrake kit (trailer and car) and best of all if it goes wrong, it goes straight back to the dealer! Both dazza and I ended up with Allstate Trailer Spares as the cheapest for the controller alone, $376 if memory serves. As far as fitting goes, I think its probably an auto electrician job, but I understand calibrating isn't a big deal. There were a couple of threads a while back about it; I know Darren, boatboy_50, had one fitted and had some hassles initially and got some advice from a couple of members.

Cheers

Carl

Guys,

Yes, I did have one fitted to my 3.0T boat. I bought the trailer second hand, and when I got it the motherboard in the unit was stuffed (waterlogged by previous owner). It was repaired under dealer warranty ($900), and I never had a problem after that. I bought a controller from www.alko.com.au, costing about $380 from memory. It was confusing to calibrate (mechanic friend fitted), but we eventually got it sorted. Had about six months hassle free use after that before selling the boat.

The system when working is faultless. Someone unplugged my lights while I was at the ramp, and the 100 series couldn't move the empty trailer because the brakes were locked on.

Worked very well and would buy another.

Regards

Darren

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Both dazza and I ended up with Allstate Trailer Spares as the cheapest for the controller alone, $376 if memory serves. As far as fitting goes, I think its probably an auto electrician job, but I understand calibrating isn't a big deal.
Thanks for this. Where is Allstate Trailer Spares located and do they have a website? I am in Rockhampton.

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 08:14 AM

I have a shortlist of a 702SB with a 200hp Yamaha 2-stroke and a 702L with a 250hp Suzuki 4-stroke.

Still haven't made a final decision as their are advanatges and disadvanatges of both.

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 08:16 AM
The installation is an auto electrician jobby and from memory I think it cost me about $240 for installation. Calibration is easy and the instructions make it sound pretty basic.............it has to be for me to follow ;D

kev

Are the instructions available to download from the internet someplace?

Brumby
27-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for this. Where is Allstate Trailer Spares located and do they have a website? I am in Rockhampton.

Outsmarted myself on that one - its www.allstatestrailerspares.com.au (http://www.allstatestrailerspares.com.au), I forget about the extra "s". Not sure where they are based.

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Outsmarted myself on that one - its www.allstatestrailerspares.com.au (http://www.allstatestrailerspares.com.au), I forget about the extra "s". Not sure where they are based.
Got it thanks. Looks like they are located at Tuggerah north of Sydney.

kingtin
27-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Are the instructions available to download from the internet someplace?

Instructions for calibration or installation?

kev

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Instructions for calibration or installation?
Just found them on the Sensa Brake website;

http://www.sensabrake.com/page.cfm?id=36&sub=5

I was actually after the controller installation instructions, but found the actuator ones too.

reef_king
27-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Sensa brakes are full of probs. My unit has been fixed 4 times with a cost of about $620,$550,$220, and then another $620 each time. They aren't very weather proof and if u go fishing 4 the day and it rains on the unit it always plays up due 2 water getting in the circuit board/electrics ect, which causes the brakes 2 lock on and off, which usally resluts in towing it home with no brakes. I wouldn't go another sensa brake again and 3 of my mates have sensa brakes and they have also experinced probs. The guy that fixes them said 2 me that 1 in 2 units is full of probs while the other 50% are fine

reef_king
27-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I foregot 2 mention its a wise idea 2 make a metal box to go over it to keep it dry from rain, hosing off trailer ect.