PDA

View Full Version : thumbs up fisheries patrol

bigbrian47
07-04-2007, 04:57 PM
had a morning fish with mr bean yesterday:)
on our way back in around the southern end of bribie we were stopped and checked by fisheries for all our gear plus fish.
they were two young blokes who were courteous/thorough & most importantly
helpful with questions that we asked them
so good on you blokes keep it up
cheers brian

DALEPRICE
07-04-2007, 05:23 PM
good stuff brian,
sounds like your blokes were a little bit more
friendly than the police patrol who
bailed us up at tempest. pack of mongrels who
were difficult and down right rude.
cheers dale

Chezzy13
07-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Thats good to hear..:D Sounds like they are doing a good job.

Lucky_Phill
07-04-2007, 07:57 PM
mmmmm Bigbrian and Mr Bean........... sounds like a M & G practice run ?? ;D ;D ;D

I always advocate to treat the officers with the respect you would expect them to treat you with.

Phill

Eagle
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
We were stopped by the police twice in one day. The first time was about 100 meters from the entrance to Roslyn Bay Harbour and the second time was out at Outer Rock, about 30 klms out. They were two different crews but each one were very courteous, polite and helpfull. I cant say enough for them. I thanked them for being there and having to perform such a difficult job when faced with irate or drunken people and especialy for being there when help is needed. The water police get my vote every time. They are all top guys in my book.

Eagle

-spiro-
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
i had a hot police women board my boat out at Hutchies years ago. Nice bird to

Navi
07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
guys and gull's doing a job thats not easy at times, nice to see they still treat the fisho as a human with respect, my Hat's off to them, you only get worried when your in the wrong.

cheers Chris

Max Gerkin
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
i hear the fisho's at gladstone are a pretty professional and friendly bunch anyone else had any dealings with them???????

sambos
08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
one of my best mates from school is a fisheries officer. his theory is be nice to him he,ll be very leeniant if its a minor offence, but slightest bit off attitude he comes down like a tonne of bricks .apperently its pretty much across the board ,but occasionally youll find the stern ones

Great White
08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Have only had pleasent dealings on the water with the fisheries patrol:D

Good to see they are picking the right type of people for the job.

charleville
08-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Have only had pleasent dealings on the water with the fisheries patrol:D

Likewise. I try to not break any rules and I appreciate their role in getting the cowboys into shape.

tigermullet
09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
one of my best mates from school is a fisheries officer. his theory is be nice to him he,ll be very leeniant if its a minor offence, but slightest bit off attitude he comes down like a tonne of bricks .apperently its pretty much across the board ,but occasionally youll find the stern ones

Does this mean that if he comes across somebody having a 'bad hair' day or senses that he is not being treated with the utmost respect, or cringing, that he will throw the book? What if he just plain does not like some person undergoing the inspection?

Has he taken note of the concept of impartiality?

This will probably stir up a hornet's nest so, before it begins, let me say that every Fisheries officer met on the water has been very fair, pleasant and even handed but it is distressing to read that one should, to avoid being thoroughly investigated, fined or whatever, adopt a meek profile in the face of authority and accept them as the arbiters of attitude, rules, life, the universe and everything.

Feral
09-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Thats the way with anyone in authority, give em lip, expect grief. Learn't that when I was about 3 years old.

I suspect he has heard of the concept of showing respect to authorites!

sambos
09-04-2007, 10:48 AM
nearly didnt even bother replying .thought it was fairly straight forward .if its a genuine mistake be polite youll be all right .do it wrong deliberatly and be a smartarse and get severly punished,.common sense ,so what if your having a bad hair day manners are cheap

ovakil
09-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Got pulled up by police as I had forgotten to put my dive flag up.They let me off with a verbal warning & told me it was $150 fine.
Can't complain

Luc
09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Never been checked by the law on the water.

They do a good job, just a shame that there's not more of them especially on weekends and nights.

Luc

Marlin_Mike
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
More night checks for idiots with no lights

Mike

samson
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Had my fair share of encounters with inspectors i'm alway's polite and courtious but one time my flares were out of date by two months and no lenience was given just a $150 fine but the thing was my boat was on the trailer not in the water i just got an arrogant inspector.
Another time i got pulled over by an inspector in the tweed river trolling lures for trevally he pulled me over and put two big scratches down the side of my old mans brand new allison half cab back when inspectors had tinnys not inflatables only for him to turn around and threaten to fine me for not trolling down the right the right hand side of the channel, i was never compensated for damages and he acted like he was doing me a favour for not fining me since then this officer has left fisheries with no arguments from me.
I totally agree with peoples opinions regarding being polite and courtious but it doesn't do any good if they have a bad day your just the next in line to cop the flogging.

Cheers Samson

Bream_Reaper01
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I was suprised to be checked by fisheries at the Diamond Head boat ramp in the Pimpama on Easter Sunday.He was polite and courteous and was surprised to see that i had a 38cm whiting in the esky,one of the biggest he's seen for awhile in the Pimpama he said.He had a Ausfish member helping him record details as well,but didn't get his name.The only thing i asked of him(fisheries officer)was if he wanted to inspect what i had caught i asked kindly if i could clear the ramp first and he had no problems with that request.Treat with respect and that's how you should be treated in return.

Cheers
Bream Reaper

P.S. He also checked my pfd's,i didn't know that was their area,thought that was upto the police,but i showed him anyway.

sandyd
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Last year at the Boyne Tannum Hook up we had the new local fisheries patrol come and address the crowd. Don't remember his name but what a sense of humor and it was great that they came out and introduced themselves and let the locals know what they could expect in the future and what they where about.

bundylundy
10-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Seen in today's local that 2 boaties caught over the limit by the water police over the weekend, one in the Calliopie and one at Awoonga. Some people never learn, warning was put out before Easter that they would be on the water.
I have never had prolem with the fisho's or the water police, they have always been friendly to me.

Jeff.

Braddles
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I have had a few dealings which have been overall positive. The harbour patrol boats in the Brisbane River are a professional, friendly bunch... They have often come along side at night (probably to check us out) to ask how the fishing is going and on one occasion told me how he caught some impressive squire the night prior and gave the exact location... Another time I had dragged anchor after a large wake from the Tangalooma flyer but was in the middle of a good bite but drifted within the regulatory 50m from shore.. and they flew over, me thinking I was about to get in trouble... He understandingly said "When you land that one you need to motor back out" andleft it at that...

The Water police have pulled me over in a large RIB centre cab looking thing early hours of a weekday morning between St Helena and Mud Is.... My mate and I came off the plane at the site of the pretty blue lights and they came astern with a night sun (super powerful spot light) completely blinding us which was pretty stupid / dumb so I yelled out to turn the "XYZ light off us" and he appologised...

After the spots had cleared (completely blinded us for ~30 secs) he introduced himself and explained we had been stopped for a random breath test (which he did) and safety check. He asked if we had individual items of safety gear (life jackets, flares in date etc) but didnt ask to see them (stowed under front deck). The spot light operating mate then asked how many people were on board (which I thought was pretty obvious in a 5m centre console) so I just smiled and looked back at the other guy who smiled back at me (as if to indicate his partner was a tosser). They wished us a good night, told us that the factory fitted stern anchor light was not legal (not visable from 360deg with people standing in the boat) and would need to be re-located to the wind sheild, and left.. I could argue that the light was a factory standard fitting and a person blocking out 2-3% of a 360deg all around white light was picky etc - but the rules clearly state that, and I knew If I pused it - I was likely to get the fine... Afterall he was being reasonable enforcing the rules that are just that - rules...

The ONLY bad experience "on the water" was with traffic police (road) with a laser speed gun at Grand Hotel Jetty at Labrador on the Gold Coast, doing speed checks on passing boats / jet skiis then fining them when they come back into shore / ramp. I noticed a distraught elderly lady in the car park of the adjacent seafood shop whil;e we were getting ready to launch... Her car had been broken into - and I advised her to go see this police man... His response was along the lines of "I can not help you, you need to call the police".... I seen red...

On the whole though - they are doing their job to keep us safe, and if we do the right thing, we have nothing to worry about. There are good and bad eggs in every walk of life.

bushbeachboy
15-04-2007, 07:21 AM
I can ony add to the praise for the fisheries officers. They stopped me in Groper Creek the other morning and checked safety, esky etc. Good blokes. I had some parts of the rego numbers that had fallen off the poly, but they just gave me a bit of advice on how to maybe get them to stick better next time. No lectures, no tickets, no dramas (my safety kit is all good, boat registered etc). It was good to see them out there.