PDA

View Full Version : Taller transom - any problems?

Sea-Dog
06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I have made the discovery that my transom needs to be replaced - again. :'(

I was a bit surprised as before I bought the boat (just before Christmas), I swung off the motor etc. and got No movement. I tapped all around where I could reach, and it sounded good. The place where the damage has occurred was all pretty much covered by the engine mount/tilt trim gear.

It's not terribly bad at the moment - no bolt heads pulling in at all, but digging inside the engine mount bolt holes produces some damp fairly soft timber.

A blade screwdriver can be pushed into the timber to a depth of about 8-10mm inside the bolt holes.

If you squeeze some scrapings between finger and thumb, from inside the bolt holes a drop of water appears. Way too much moisture. :(

This is just an old cheapie second-hand 4.5M glass half cab of early 80's vintage.

Someone has previously done a partial replacement on the transom.
I discovered this by removing bog from the outside surface of the transom to find some joins in the glass where approximately one-half of the previous transom has been replaced (from the outside).

Why bog? To cover up crappy work I suppose. The bog looked crappy too.

I reckon it was a real shoddy job, because the new central bit has rotted, whilst the original bit still remains solid.

I didn't think you could successfully replace only part of a transom. It looks like I'm right in this instance.

Anyhow the boat sat a bit low in the bum, courtesy of a heavy old 115HP V4 Evinrude, dual batteries and portable tanks all sitting at the rear end.

Add the weight of a person or two who walk to the rear of the boat to fish, and she can take a bit of slop over the back and into the splash well.

No harm, of course, but I'd prefer to have a bit more freeboard on the bum.

The current transom height is about 510mm (20.5")

Are there any dramas with building a taller transom, to bring it to the height of 635mm (25" - extra long)

The extra hundred and twenty five millimetres would probably make a big difference to any slop coming over the back. The height of the gunwales is approx 700mm from the chines. So that is sufficient height I'd reckon.

I have to get a new motor anyway so I suppose the extra price for the extra long over the long isn't going to be that much of a killer.

I still have to investigate the condition of the stringers - I suspect they're OK.

If I did have to replace the stringers, I suppose that I could install a centrally mounted fuel tank to move a bit of weight off the rear.

I could also probably relocate the batteries forward, but this is far from a preferred option.

(I wish I could ask a quick question without writing "War & Peace")

So, has anyone raised the height of their transom on a glass boat?
Any problems?

Cheers, Ross (Sea-Dog)

Grand_Marlin
07-04-2007, 06:51 AM
G'day Ross,

Ask yourself the question first "Is the boat worth it"?

If yes then go ahead ... if not, ditch it and get what you really want, as it is going to cost you quite a few biccies to get the transom done properly.

Yes the transom can be lifted to 25" with no problems - dowell the extension and then re-glass the whole lot.
The glass is what gives it the strength in this type of repair / modification.

If the transom isnt too bad to start with, maybe you could re do their repair... again a partial replacement is ok if done properly.

It often pays to get someone to look at a second hand boat before buying, as there are quite often other signs to look for (apart from the obvious swinging and tapping)

Cheers

Pete

Sea-Dog
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
G'day again pete,

PMs sent.

Too long to post here - even too long for a single PM (limited to 6000 characters)

Even in school, I couldn't keep to word limits in reports/essays.

Some nasty folk might say that I talk too much. ;D

Spaniard_King
07-04-2007, 12:25 PM
JUst had a V16R transom replaced and built up before xmas to take a 90hp 25 " Honda. the guy who did the job repairs tunnel race hulls and like folding stuff cost just over $1,000 but he is located in Burleigh on the gold coast.. pm me if you want his number

Garry

Sea-Dog
07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Garry,

I may be in touch.

dnej
07-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Sea dog,
Send Grand Marlin a pm.He does good work.
I recently moved up to a 90 hp Yamaha.
I went to the 25 inch, as the motor then sits higher off the water.

It was a great move for me, so I would think the same for you.
David

clownman
18-04-2007, 09:08 PM
i have done the same thing and have the same motor 115 johno bout 77 model and a evinrude 115 same year i think they look exactly the same ripped out the transom to replace what you doing with the old motor does it have a tilt/trim pump cause thats all i need really

Sea-Dog
19-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Clownman,

Unfortunately the tilt/trim pump is cactus. That was the primary reason for removing the motor in the first place.

Any other bits you need for your motor? Mine seems to work fine - just no tilt/trim now.

- Ross