PDA

View Full Version : Haines 680 Patriot or a 7.2m Platey

620sf
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
We're looking at upgrading in the next 6 months from the haines 620 up to a bigger boat. Problem is what to get. We've really nailed it down to either a Haines 680, or maybe a platey. We've always own Glass boats, which is making us lean towards the haines. There are some great 7.2 -7.4m tinnies out there today that can't be ignored, with the large deck space and the finish. The Riptides, Fishers & AMM are the ones that are standing out at the moment.

Would love to hear from anyone who owns a 6.5m + Plate boat on there thoughts on the way they handle, and performance. Also like to hear from anyone who owns the 680 Haines or any other well performing glass boat.
Good or Bad comments

Thanks
Luke

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
If ya wanna go for a run in a 680 Patriot twin rig.. book a charter on John Goodings boat (outlaw charters) he runs a 680 patriot with twin 150's..Did you know the 680 patriot with twins is actualy 7.0m in length

Garry

snelly1971
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi luke i am a plate owner but i have been for a ride in a haines 680...bloody awesome machines...the ride was as good as it gets in a mono...but they are not my sort of boat...i am very hard on gear...hence...i own a plate boat.....i can bang it on the rocks or the ramp and pull gear up the side of it without worrying about any damage...i suppose it comes down to what sort of fishing you do....cheers Mick

Wahoo
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Luke
have you had a look at the platemaster boats
damn nice boats and with a life time warranty
http://www.platemaster.com.au/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/CASTAWAY315.jpg

litenup
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
As an owner previos owner of 5.2 plateys and Haines 17L, there is no comparison when it comes to rough water. Depends where you operate out of, what conditions are like on average day. Go the glass if it gets rough, don't think you can beat it for ride. Cheers Pete.

Luke G
06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I would choose the Haines if you preferd ride, or a platey if you like lots of room.

Cheers

Greg P
06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
There are plateys and then there are plateys. Same with glass boats - there are some dogs out there and just cause it's glass dont mean it rides soft. It's all to do with the hull.
Might be able to help you out this winter with a ride in a real platey Luke ;)

As for the 680's - something that heavy with a decent deadrise will ride well with the right power and ride position in the water. One thing that blew me away with them is that they are not as big inside as I would have thought. Beautiful boat all the same. Maybe Mark (Seasaw) can get you a first hand owner's view (I dont know if the hull is different on a Patriot v 680SF)

Cheers

Greg

chainsaw
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Luke

If thinking of platey check out the fishraiders site and the building of a "Cougarcraft" from day to day includes photos. Chap to talk to thats got a big one is Offtap1. Search the site to find him. I have a Cougarcraft side console with Suz 115 4st. Still pretty new at all this so cant give much advice

Rod

620sf
06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Garry,

So are you saying they build them alittle longer when they bolt twins on them?
If we went for the Haines we probably go with a 225 4st as usual or if the budget allows a 250 4st.

Greg, you've hit the nail on the head there. There are soo many boats to choose from but there's plenty that don't come close to the mark.
Its something that has blow us away alittle is the amount of deck space in the Platey's as well which leave the 680 a fair bit behide.
Its good to hear the Fisher will be on the water by winter. We may take you up on your offer. You'd be counting the days down until delivery.

Luke

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Luke, yes the 680 is 200mm longer for the twins setup.

personally I would go for the prowler for more fishing room. Depends on how much comfort you need to keep the missus happy :P

Garry

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
If your lookin for a serious glass offshore boat take a look at eden craft, now built in Labrador.

Garry

Kerry
06-04-2007, 07:06 PM
"Offshore" becoming a rather used and abused word these days?

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
"Offshore" becoming a rather used and abused word these days?

I don't think he's after a warship kerry, just a fishin boat :P

Garry

Kerry
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Then wonder why there's this big thing these days with inlcuding "offshore" in the name of many boats? Like it means jack schitt! Yeah ######### fall into this category based on antique 70 hull designs, they didn;t self drain then and they don;t self drain today, time to re-think the terminology.

Kerry
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Well I'll be funny that? wonder why ######### comes up all #########'s ????

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
sorry Kerry, seems like your full of ####### :P

Garry

Kerry
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
So you accept all this bullshit naming and advertising?

Black_Rat
06-04-2007, 08:42 PM
"Offshore" is a term used loosley ::)

I've taken a 4.2m tiller steer "Offshore" before ;)

Back on track :P

With a 680 Patriot on offer, i'd luv one parked in the back yard ! 8-)

Kerry
06-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes it is obviously a very loosley used terms these days!

Spaniard_King
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
So you accept all this bullshit naming and advertising?

Could be why I don't spend too much time on here anymore:o

Garry

Black_Rat
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Booooo flamin hooooo :-*

Nip in the bud now 8-)

PLATEY'S rule !

Kerry
06-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Don't see much point in deceiving the people any longer Gary, do you?

death_ship
06-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Spent a lot of time lately in a 680 with a 225 four yammy, crossed the bay in a 30 knot northerly doing 20 knots, the arse slides a bit sometimes but it was doing 20 knots. i reckon the bay dishes up worse seas than "offshore" anyway, and yes they are self draining but the foredeck drains into the bilge, not a great idea. 2 can overnight comfortably. top speed over 35 knots. not a lot of space between the seats but you got a full walk around. awesome machine and still has a roomy cabin with pretty good fishing space. Why hasnt that guy with a"k" at the start been removed for his insults?

Greg P
06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
You'd be counting the days down until delivery.

Luke

All good things mate :P:P:P:P

ozbee
07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
hope your not in a hurry for a 680 i put a deposit down in january still no delivery date case of join the queue

Stubbie Holder
07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I have the 680 Patriot with a 225 yam. love the setup more everytime we take it out. Absolutely great for overnighting even for a couple of nights with 2 people. Great ride in the rough, don't know where you are located but if you can make it to Gladstone I'd be happy to take you out for a run. Any more questions just PM me.

Stubbie!!

DALEPRICE
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
do it in class , do it in glass !!
went down this road not long ago myself and it
really comes down to which setup best suits your
needs, and the main factor budget. a lot of the bigger
glass boats dont seem to have a large back deck on them
for what they are. good luck its a tuff one.
cheers dale

620sf
09-04-2007, 06:57 AM
What did you end up choosing Dale?

Stubbie PM sent.

Thanks

finding_time
10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Why hasnt that guy with a"k" at the start been removed for his insults?

When you have been on the site a little bit longer than a month you will realize all the good info that guy with a "k" gives out to all who ask.;D

Ian

Ps.
take a chill pill death_ship

PPs. I would choose the patriot;) Awesome boat!!

bastard
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Go the hains,i dont think there is such a thing as a comfortable plate boat,i had one built and only had it 3 months,another mate has a 30 feet stingray flybridge and it still rides like shit.

Kerry
10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
When you have been on the site a little bit longer than a month you will realize all the good info that guy with a "k" gives out to all who ask.;D

Ian

Ps.
take a chill pill death_ship

PPs. I would choose the patriot;) Awesome boat!!

Well. well, well the terms some people like to imply!!!! Ah just as well all of us don't swallow some of the claims around here !!!

Comments are free and you either like them or you don't but don't start this insult BS, that's petty.

OPTI
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM
are you upset because your kevlacat wasnt called a offshore.

just_cruisin
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
OPTI, do u have any more info (articles, websites, pictures) with regards to Jenks craft boats. We recently constructed a custom centre console (26 foot) and have heard the hull was a flop of an early jenks craft. Have had great trouble researching the builder. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

finding_time
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
are you upset because your kevlacat wasnt called a offshore.

Who are you talking about Opti?

OPTI
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
sorry ,kerry of cause.he seems up set about other boats being called a offshore.
i dont have any photos of the jenks craft,but i will be over his way later in the week and see what he has got.anything in perticular you want to know?

just_cruisin
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Opti, mate that would be great.
Not after anything in particular, just interested in the history/evoloution of the design. My brother aqured the molds and was building offshore ski come pleasure boats, but recently built a top deck & console mold for a centre console configuration. People are always asking questions of its 'breed' all I know is part mustang, part Jenks, and thats about it. I will try to PM you some pics, you might like to show him how his design has evolved over the years.

Brumby
10-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Opti, mate that would be great.
Not after anything in particular, just interested in the history/evoloution of the design. My brother aqured the molds and was building offshore ski come pleasure boats, but recently built a top deck & console mold for a centre console configuration. People are always asking questions of its 'breed' all I know is part mustang, part Jenks, and thats about it. I will try to PM you some pics, you might like to show him how his design has evolved over the years.

How about you post the pics, here's one I found advertised a couple of months ago.

OPTI
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
luke sorry for leading you thread astray,i was in the same position as you,planning about a 100 k for a new rig,i settled on a ######### 233,its got more deck space than most plateys,v birth up front,argueably the best lay up of all boats built in aus,and the cheapest.id recomend you go for a ride in one.and just a note i had a 24 cat as my last boat and a 213 reefrunner ,signature 602f,v19r etc all previously and the 233 beats them all for ride.good luck with your decision.

snelly1971
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Found a few pic`s of the Jenks that i looked at buying....needed too much work ...

Smithy
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Check out these old threads.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=69827&page=2&highlight=hunter

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=68080&page=5&highlight=signature

And this one. Don't worry about the last couple of pages as it got very off topic

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=65687&highlight=hunter