PDA

View Full Version : have i been told a fib???????

choppa
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
after reading a thread posted in estuary/saltwater by ""snappercoffin"" re the success he had in catching a boat load of crabs in the pumicestone passage,,, i responded this evening and advised that i too had much the same success story a few weeks back at my brothers abode in the canals around the gold coast,, we had a blinder of approx 6hrs catching crabs,,, with 3 pots,,, and the majority of our catch being retrieved on rod/reel

i took my time in replying,,, due too the following

most of the guys who i witnessed ""crabbing"" on that particular few days,, were using ""drop nets"" opposed to a pot or a witches hat

after seeing them drop them in,,, and believe me,,, there were literally dozens of em being used by each fisho,,, i had to ask the benefit over a drop net style of crabbing against the more conventional pot style,,

the answer,,,,,,, simple,,, there is no legaslation over the number of drop nets that any one person can use,,, opposed to pots/hats,,

i found that a lame response and decided to look deeper,,,, thats when i noticed snappercoffins thread and decided to continue my quest,,,, (please note,,, nothing wrong in sc's thread,,,, just the success he had using pots,,, kept my interest up)

according to scott wainwright of the dpi&f,, a drop net is not an entrapment style of net,,,,ie,, once deployed,, a crab (or any other creature of the sea) has the freedom of feasting on the bait supplied and then moving on,,,, it is up to the owner of the drop net to utilise ""luck"" or skill on retreiving the drop net to capture the crab ( or creature) to enable a successful catch,,,

for those of you you who are unaware of a drop net,,,, they are the nets sold predominately by jarvis walker under the banner of MUD CRAB DROP NET in 99% of stores,,, and come with no instructions OR legal limits on how many can be deployed at any given time,,, they have 2 rings,,, one is smaller in diametre than than the other,,, and when placed in the water they sit flat,,,, when pulled in to check your catch,,, the larger ring acts as the top of the net,,, creating a bowl shape to the bottom ring,,

the guys i saw on the gold coast had at any given time an approxamate of 20-30 of these being used,,,, EACH,,,,,,,, they would work them non stop,,,, check number one,,, move to number 2,,, and then once they got to the end start over again until they had there quantity,,, and start pulling them up,,,

i'm planning a trip back down to the brothers over easter to go and check out his statements of freshwater crayfish,,, (not redclaw) being only 1-2 hrs away from his place,,,, and was asked to pick up and deliver an order from that store in lawnton 120 of these dropnets that have been paid for and deliver to a neighbour of a neighbour who knows my brother

surely there is something that regulates this style of net practice

choppa

murf
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
NSW has a limit of 5

Q Hoop nets and Wiches hats, Not more than 5 nets are to be used (or in possession) by any one personat any one time

Cheers Murf

shaman
04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Amazing isn't it.......... if there is a way that some maggotts can rape and pillage and absolutely stuff up our fishing future and not even give a sh!t they will do it!!
P!sses me off!!!!! Between scumbag yellowcoaters destroying our prawn stocks either legally nor illegally and the mentality of these idiots you've just described and others like them operating in this mindless manner out of greed.........
Excuse me while I just go and scream for a while................ ########

shaman
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry that last word was supposed to spell "A$$holes".............

choppa
04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
murf,,, thanks for your reply but i did raise the difference between a hoop net and drop net,,, and this i think is were the confusion started,,

a hoop net (i believe) is designated by ""no size limit of the diametre of the ring,,, AND also by the gauge of netting"",, allowing the net to be utilised for a variety of species or reasons

a drop net has only 1 size criteria,,, and 1 gauge of netting,,, this does not apparently change,,, and interestingly enough,,, a drop net falls under the normal diametre size of the inner ring than that of a hoop net,,,

i agree with you on regulations,,, but i'm still confused over the definition of the legislation,,,, me and the dpi&f

choppa

choppa
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
and i forgot to mention the important part,,,, a drop net costs on average per unit $9 retail,,,, buy in lots of 10,,,$6-7 per unit,,, buy in packs of 50 or more,,, $4.50

hoop nets are also governed by a requirement of a flotation and name address details on each net,,,

drop nets aren't,,,,,

again i'm simply requesting an interpretation of what is what,,, hoop nets aren't normally purchased through an outlet over and over again,,,, ie you buy your requirement,,, ad then renet,,, its cheaper,,

opposed to a witches hat,,, hoop nets are stronger,, and the netting lasts longer,,, so you get more value for money

choppa

Dignity
05-04-2007, 05:10 AM
choppa - there is a limit to the number of crabs they can take though - agree that drop nets should be included in the limit of 4 per person

sam

murf
05-04-2007, 06:54 AM
murf,,, thanks for your reply but i did raise the difference between a hoop net and drop net,,, and this i think is were the confusion started,,

a hoop net (i believe) is designated by ""no size limit of the diametre of the ring,,, AND also by the gauge of netting"",, allowing the net to be utilised for a variety of species or reasons

a drop net has only 1 size criteria,,, and 1 gauge of netting,,, this does not apparently change,,, and interestingly enough,,, a drop net falls under the normal diametre size of the inner ring than that of a hoop net,,,

i agree with you on regulations,,, but i'm still confused over the definition of the legislation,,,, me and the dpi&f

choppa

Hi choppa

from what you describe a hoop net is a ring net or am I missing something?

I bet 5 total in NSW, QLD I don't know

Cheers Murf

choppa
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
nah murf your spot on,,,, the hoop net/ring net is normally sold/made in this way,,, the difference being is that a drop net has a smaller ring on the bottom,,, and hence is not governed by the hoop/ring net criteria,, its interesting to read though that your pic shows a limit on net gauge and ring diametre,,, this is opposite to what the dpi&f advised,,, maybe more confusion trying to differ between the 2,,

my only concern/belief is,,, if you stick to the legal requirements of how many pots,,,hats,,,hoop etc nets your allowed,,,thats great,,,,but why would anyone purchase 3,,4,,5,,6, times the amount of dropnets???????? unless they were (in my opinion) also keeping more of there catch,,,,, makes ya wonder

choppa

BAT
05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Are you picking up that order?

rob tranter
05-04-2007, 10:15 PM
NSW and Q/land laws on fisheries differ a fair bit.
I would think that NSW Fisheries would regard drop nets and hoop rings as the same thing.
You can only eat so much crab, so why take more than you need, as frozen crab meat tastes like sh!t.
If your states laws say you can only have x amount of traps per person, then dob the offender in.
Your total number of crabs caught at the end of the day is what matters.
Hoop/drop nets sound to me to be the one and same.
Write to your DPI/Fisheries and ask for them to outline the difference between the two types of trap/net in writing. If there is a difference ask them for the rules governing both.
Rob8-)

choppa
06-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Are you picking up that order?

nah,,,,and i wasn't going to,,, but the RBWH made me make a flying visit in there yesterday arvo for a repair job on the recent surgery i had,,, this (thankfully) made me miss out on all the fun of being part of the traffic heading south out of brissie,,,so my trip down there has been postponed for a day or 2,,, i believe through the brother that they organised it on transport,,,

choppa

choppa
06-04-2007, 04:00 AM
NSW and Q/land laws on fisheries differ a fair bit.
I would think that NSW Fisheries would regard drop nets and hoop rings as the same thing.
You can only eat so much crab, so why take more than you need, as frozen crab meat tastes like sh!t.
If your states laws say you can only have x amount of traps per person, then dob the offender in.
Your total number of crabs caught at the end of the day is what matters.
Hoop/drop nets sound to me to be the one and same.
Write to your DPI/Fisheries and ask for them to outline the difference between the two types of trap/net in writing. If there is a difference ask them for the rules governing both.
Rob8-)

rob to answer,,,, the first highlited response of yours,,,, thats why i rang the dpi&f

the second,,,,,i was always in the same mind,,, but then i came across a local here on the island using dropnets some time back,,, and after a bit of a chat,,, he explained much the same to me as what i was trying to confirm with the powers to be,,,the only difference,,, he had 3,,, not 20 plus deployed

then you can continue on this,,,, and ask about a 1 wire ring net,,,, with no bottom or middle rings,,,, there use to be also an elderly bloke on bribie who for the love of him couldn't master the knack of throwing a cast net,,,, so he took the lead line off,,,, cut approx 1-2 feet of the ""neck"" and inverted it onto a large ring he made out of some rod,,, he fished this of the jetty for some time catching hardy heads and herring for bait,,,

i have to admit,,, i have a smaller version of one of these

choppa

SNAPPERCOFFIN
06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Good crabs can be caught using good pots,good tides and heaps of bait in the right spot. I don't agree with the use of drop nets of the practice of treating people like scumbags that are well within the law. Also crab meat can be successfully frozen if you know what you are doing?
Same old story.

choppa
06-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Good crabs can be caught using good pots,good tides and heaps of bait in the right spot. I don't agree with the use of drop nets of the practice of treating people like scumbags that are well within the law. Also crab meat can be successfully frozen if you know what you are doing?
Same old story.

mate i totally agree,,, especially on the freezing of crab,, and as i pointed out before this thread has no bearing on your initial post,,,or the way how you had success,,, it just got me wondering on the ethics of people who utilise a loop hole within the legaslation,,, and then say,,, if there caught,,, well no-one told me,,

for instance,,, why fish with more than a dozen nets,,, running back and forth checking them non stop,,, only to catch your legal BL,,, and then release the rest,,, or where they upgrading their catch,,, i dunno,,, but it made me suspicious of their intentions,,, AND then get a request to deliver a further 120 more,,,

by the way,,, BCF gave me the following info last week,,,, their sunshine coast outlets had 3 jarvis walker mud crab drop nets in stock,,,, lawnton had 6,,,

jarvis walker themselves only sell through their distributors and gave me a few names to contact,,, BUT they did say that demand on this product is high and backorders on large quantities are not uncommon

apologise if anything was taken out of my context SC,,, again,,, i wasn't chucking mud at you in any shape form or fashion,,,,

choppa

Max Gerkin
08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
hey choppa,
who is scott wainwright, is he a fisheries inspector???? if not, i'd rather get the info from someone that is policing the waters.

Nico.d.R
09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
every where i have read says any persons over 15 may have only four traps each . traps = pots dillys scoop nets any type of crab catching aperatise . and on the ring nets the ring can not be bigger than 125mm dia .

bundylundy
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Choppa,
Asked the question to Fisheries and their reply says that collapsable pots are part of total of 4 pots/dillies per person over 15 able to be used in Queensland waters at one time. Me thinks someone out there definately telling you fibs.

Jeff.

dogsbody
10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
deleted by me sorry

dogsbody
10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
This is what i found on Fisheries site for Queensland. Only 4 pots allowed.

Crabs, prawns and lobsters

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/CrabbingGear-lindr-250_rdax_250x124.gif Crabbing gear: hoop, dilly and crab pot. Crabbing gear

Crab pots and dillies

In tidal waters, when fisshing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not ?xed to something they must have a light-coloured surface float attached, not less than 15 cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it.
When fishing for spanner crabs the frame of an inverted dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. An inverted dilly net must be multi?lament. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides.
When fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs the person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to the water immediately.

Max Gerkin
13-04-2007, 08:07 PM
choppa,
i have to ask again who is scott wainwright you said that he was from dpi&f but what is his position???????

chopjr
13-04-2007, 08:38 PM
choppa,
i have to ask again who is scott wainwright you said that he was from dpi&f but what is his position???????

max choppa has been out of action for a day or two but will be back on deck all being well by the end of the weekend but to answer your query scott is a chief prosecutor who works for the department and has been involved in some fairly well publicised stories mainly in nsw/vic but i believe also here in qld Scott knew dads father (grandpa choppa who was in his own right a well known and respected member of the force for over 15-20 yrs) when he was alive and the 2 have kept in contact over the years Scott moved to brisbane last october on a permanent basis and is under the administration Hope this answers your question
chopjr (dad)

choppa
21-04-2007, 08:39 PM
all being fair,,, i thank those who have pm'ed and asked questions on what pills the doctors have been administrating once more....

my initial question and concern tho' is not about how many nets you can have,,, or the legal requirements of each net,,,, it was mainly aimed at DROP NETS

as posted above,,, there is none that i or google or the dpi&f can define,,,, which in lamens terms equals LOOP HOLE

the name has been registered

jarvis walker has stated that there initial sales stemmed from the southern states as fresh water cray and yabbie traps,,,, they then changed the name to MUD CRAB and the fisheries have not caught on

in the last 2 weeks i have had a bit of time on my hands and i have honestly searched all formats available,,,,, not one conviction/warning/or anything resembling the name exists in LEGAL terms

hence the reason why i asked,,,,,, why buy 120

as a footnote,,, they are described as a legal net conforming to the size restrictions as i have previously stated,,,, by the dpi&f

this has not been been laid to rest,,,, trust me

as a further footnote,,, scott is a well known and respected member of the prosecution department that no 2 son posted,,, he works within the legal arms of not only dpi&f,, but also a host of others,,, he as well as 4 other members of the friendship clan have placed time into this question,,,,,,,, and yet we still can't locate a definite identity on a drop net

choppa