PDA

View Full Version : Safe and sound in Mackay

madman1
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Well after over 1000 km's and missing over 8,000 Ausfish posts we made it to Mackay two weeks ago and are finally settled in.

Gees this place is windy!!! .

I thought I would treat the family to a trip to Keswick but a spewing 18 month old on the wife didn't really hit the spot. We got half way out and had to turn bak. Better safe then sorry.

After the disasterous trip the missus said I have to sell the boat,,,,,,,,, for a bigger one!!!

How lucky am I?

I am still yet to have a fish out here but I have been assured the wait will be worth it.

As they say "WATCH THIS SPACE"

The lifestyle up here is great and I wish I had have done it a couple of years ago!!!

WOOF if you are out there I bet XXXX Gold is cheaper up here than down in Hobart!!!

Cheers

Madman

Black_Rat
04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Mad,

Convince the missus and the young'un a BIG platey is the only way to go in Mackay ! ;D

madman1
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Your telling me!

i'm still tryin to get her off of the Whitley idea, but driving past Kingtins house on a daily basis on the way to school in Bracken Ridge is making it hard!!! lol

Hows the boat your mates bought of my father in law goin???

t4topcat
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Madman,

Welcome to Mackay, so you've noticed the pleasant sea breezes (lol). What part of town are you holed up in? I'm in West Mackay near the Hospital by the way. The wind can blow its' ring out a fair bit up here and when you do get calm weather I think you need to be at the ramps at about 12.30am to get a bloody place at times (it has been known to get a little crazy) but at least you know it's popular for a reason. I look forward to seeing you on the water at some time although not that far out as I don't think the 4m Stessl Edgetracker wopuld make it out the islands that well.

Anyway cheers, and take care, just thought I'd say G'day.

Chris

mitch qld
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Mark,

Good to hear you made it all right and are enjoying yourself. Even better to see that somone's missus out there actually WANTS their husband to buy a boat!;D Top stuff lol.

To be honest with you mark, i think you should seriously consider taking up flying kites! The wind is certainly persistant up here, but it does slacken off, and when the fishin's on, its on!

Hope you can get out soon and nail some reefies!

Cheers, Mitch.

kingtin
05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Enjoy your new home Mark...............and the sea breezes! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_10.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_17.gif

kev

Black_Rat
05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Hows the boat your mates bought of my father in law goin???

Yeah great they have it out regually down the Pine River towing tubes.

The_Sloth_man
05-04-2007, 04:26 PM
nice to see you made it :)
hope you didn't need that spare wheel you were chaseing

mhdbl
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Madman

Good to see that you made it and have settled in. Great to see that the missus want t bigger boat but just to let you know the prices of boats up here are alot dearer than normal. I am soon to be looking at a bigger boat and wiil be travelling down to brisbane to look. I am all for supporting the local guy but my money is too hard to get these days and due to the boom here the local economy
is high.

Seeyay round on the water

Mark

rob tranter
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Mmmmm
North Queensland, blowing a gail all the time::)
Calm buggerall of the time:-*

It would seem to me that while you lot think you have the best fishing and weather, in Queensland, it actually blows that much that you don't get out all that often.
I went up to Cook Town last year, and asked when the wind would drop off.

Well we had a spell of quiet time back in December was the reply, I was there in May.
So how come you think it's so good.
Down here in NSW, we get a bit of a breeze every now and then, but we normally get out around 9 to 10 days a month on average. So that means, some months we get out a heap more.
Can't see the point in living somewhere where it blow's 90% of the time.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but be truthfull, not one eyed;D
Regards
Rob8-)

FNQCairns
06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Rob last year (or was it the year befre?)we got flogged by wind for 8 months of the year, lots of people with the fishing DTs around at the time, this year has been great in comparison, think last year was a bump in the bell curve, and to think we need paper reef protection.

cheers fnq

BobbyJ123
07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Good to see you made it ok, mate. If you want a safer area to launch the tinny, try Seaforth at the Victor Ck 3 lane ramp. Barra in the creek and the Newry Island group only 6 km off shore.