PDA

View Full Version : Alvey reel - do they wind backwards?

adriang
03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I saw the 30% off fishing rods and reels in Kmart, and picked up an Alvey 500BC for a song.

Unpacked it, and started looking at it, and now I'm a little confused. To wind line onto the reel, the handle needs to spin backwards when compared to a fixed spool reel. Is this correct or have I ended up with a lefty model, or I'm loosing my marbles? :-[

Noelm
03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
not too sure what you mean, but an Alvey is used in the right hand as you would an overhead , maybe you have mounted it backwards on the rod, or just started off turning it the wrong way when you spooled it up, but I am still unsure of what you mean, so maybe more detailed info or a picture will get answer.

Tangles
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Like Noelm siad unless you started winding the wrong way which would mean you have the line going to the top of the Alvey thats the only thing i can think off, attach your line to the Alvey, put your line in a bucket of water and wide forwards ;D

cheers
Mike

adriang
03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I think the difference is that I hold a fixed spool rod reel combo so the rod is in my right hand, and I'm winding with my left.

Noelm gave me the tip, which came clear when I found this site http://www.surfcasters.iinet.net.au/UsingAlveyReels.html

Using an Alvey involves holding the rod with your left, and winding with the right. This makes sense, as it means the line is entering the bottom of the reel, and the handle is being turned the right way.

I think I'm going to take the reel I just bought back, and swap it for a lefty version so I am consistent in holding the rod with the same hand, and winding with the same.

tigermullet
03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh dear!;D Just buy a left hand mount.

Kiktz
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Thought it was a joke when I first saw the title...............

Now I am just smiling................

Andrian, they are great reels, Mate you will just have to wind
with your right hand. Will take a lil getting used to but
in time managed easily

Aj

cammac
04-04-2007, 12:25 AM
you can wind line onto an alvey backwards or forwards but youll be the odd one out if you wind backwards ::) although i did know guys that did this a few times as they reckoned it helped with line twist:o dont know if you can get a 500bc in left wind but check it out anyway if thats what u prefer