PDA

View Full Version : If you could take anyone - Who would it be

BilgeBoy
02-04-2007, 09:08 PM
So if you could take anyone in the world (past or present) out for a days fish...Who would it be and why.

This should get you all thinking!

For me it is simple, I would take 2 people. For the first, I would raise my old Scotsman grandfather from his peaceful slumber and take him. He died when I was about 8 or 9 and I have a lot of questions about the family history etc.

The second, Man I sure would like to spend a day on the bay with is Evil Kienival...Man would he have a few yarns to tell!

And yours...

blaze
02-04-2007, 09:44 PM
My Dad
why
he took me as a kid and show me what something that would become a life long passion.
He is still a very active 78 yo but the closest he wants to get to a fish these days is one on a plate
cheers
blaze

charleville
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Bill Corten - in his boat! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
03-04-2007, 05:46 AM
I would be along similar lines as blaze...my dad..he got me started into fishing and boating in 1968...Camp Hill Belmont AFC...they had a boatshed down at Jacobs Well..12' dinghies..bloody rowboats...but alas he is no longer with us but he certainly gave me my love of the Pin area.

Marlin_Mike
03-04-2007, 06:30 AM
I would take my wife..she always catches a fish, so at least we'd come home with a feed :):)

Mike

kingtin
03-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Britney Spears.....................so that if I didn't catch, at least I could have a bloody good laugh. It would also remind me that money can't buy everything and the deckie is sane in comparison...............better looking too;D

kev

Freeeedom
03-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Greens Senator Bob Brown - on a one-way trip
Cheers Freeeedom

sandyd
03-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I to would have too say my dad as he instilled the love of fishing and so many good memory's in the great Australian outdoors.
This man saved my finger when i tried to anchor the hand line around it while trying to bring into the boat a monster Cod, this man also took claim on catching the fish because he had to pull it in as I was only 7 years old at the time and all I can remember on the size of this fish was that its tail hang out of the potato sack by at least a foot.
this man also told me very calmly that trailing my bleeding fingers in the water would attracte sharks.
We have and still have a hut outside of Bowen where as kids spent many a week-end fishing and crabbing and if I could I would love to take him back there and take him fishing.

Dicko
03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
John Cleese for a few laughs :D

and

Linda Lovelace for..... um well,.... just for the company ;)

bushbeachboy
03-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Elle or Mimi;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bob H
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM
wouldn,t take mimmi. she,s already been fishing before,(i got the movie) bob hhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

kingtin
03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
John Cleese for a few laughs :D

and

Linda Lovelace for..... um well,.... just for the company ;)

Well, it'd have to be just for the company as you wouldn't get much conversation............mommy always said, "don't speak with your mouth full" ;D

kev

4x4frog
03-04-2007, 10:50 AM
My Dad and Grandfather. Dad passed away when I was 7 and I don't have much recollection of fishing with him but from all reports he was pretty good. My Grandfather and I fished regularly and I think it'd be a laugh to fish with them both. Grand-dad would really let go when we were alone, swearing enough to make a shearer embarressed but while mum and Grandma were around, as calm as ever:o;D...as a young bloke I would laugh till it hurt at this

Hardb8
03-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Past :- My Pop.He gave me the gift of learning to fish at the age of four,And taught me alot about fish and their world.I'm forever in his debt.

My Father.He passed away much to young :'( .Not only my Old Man,But a great m8.

Present :- Vic McCristal and Dean Butler.I reckon Vic would have forgotten more than I'll ever know.And from what I read Dean has travelled the world and captured everything with fins.He's regarded amongst his peers as one of the finest deckies in the world.These two would have a massive amount to teach.

Ausfish :- Wamjam and Mc Cod.These blokes make Cod fishin look easy.

The Greenfish haunts me in my dreams.

Cool thread.

Horse
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm with HardB8 and would like to share a boat with Vic McCristal or even the late Ron Calcutt. Their outlook on fishing changed it from a meat gathering exercise to the sport we all enjoy

banshee
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm with Hardb8 and Horse,McSea would get the seat in my boat.

Rod_Bender
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
If I was in a competition, Steve Jeston who is a fishing guide in Townsville. He pioneered the Hinchinbrook Channel over 20 years ago and basically single handily started the fishing guide industry. A true professional who can read the water so well and find fish every time. He regularly talks at seminar’s in Townsville, however, it’s not until you book a charter with him you realise how unique his service is compared to others in the same industry.

bastard
03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Teagen Presley;D

sandbankmagnet
03-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Jesus.

If you broke down, he could get out and tow you home......

kingtin
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Jesus.

If you broke down, he could get out and tow you home......

And you'd only need to catch a couple of fish to feed the whole neighbourhood ;D

kev

Bob H
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
your goin to hell for that one,especially this close to easter. bob h

sandbankmagnet
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
but think about what he could turn all that water into!!

sandbankmagnet
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey Bob H.... I'm sure He enjoys a laugh like the rest of us.

minno
04-04-2007, 01:47 AM
I would take me! Cause me , myself, and I, know what where doing, and I think thats a good thing.

minno

el_carpo
04-04-2007, 03:13 AM
Great question! Hmmm....whom would I like to fish with? I guess it depends....

1. Historical figures--> Jesus and Saint Peter. If what they say is true (and I think it is personally), one guy could command the fish to do what he said and the other guy is known as the patron saint of fishermen. With those two on board, I would almost have to finally catch a fish or two.

2. Family members--> My grandfathers. One I never met but have heard good things about him, and the other is a hero of mine.

3. Fictional characters--> Jar-Jar Binks from the horrible three newer episodes of Star Wars and Queequeg from Herman Melville's, "Moby Dick" story. Let's see Jar-Jar escape from the wrath of one disappointed Star-Wars fan and a crazy, superstitious, tattooed freak with a harpoon. Time to die Jar-Jar! Muwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

4. Ausfish emoticon Easter rabbits--> I would have to go with good old smiley ;D and this one :o. Smiley looks like he'd be fun and the shocked guy looks like he'd be on the look-out for danger. Safety first and all that. I would NOT take :-X or:D . The first guy looks sick and would be a mess on the water and the second one looks evil. It's like he's plotting something sinister with that eerie grin on his mug. Gives me the creeps and I don't trust him!

5. Ausfishers--> Any and all of you. You guys and gals know your stuff fishing-wise and you've proven that you have the necessary patience to put up with my nonsense for as long as you have.

Great thread!

P.S. Happy Easter and may the force be with you!

brian steele
04-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Rexy boy

And learn him how to take hooks out.

Volvo
04-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Angelina Jolie, cause at this age a fella could have a stroke at any tick o the clock n may need resus by a ........a...you know ...quallified??????
Ahhh Ferget it never get out much nowadays anyhows!!!!

Gazza.Boyne
04-04-2007, 07:31 AM
For me, it'd definitely be my dad & also my uncle. My dad introduced us kids into fishing just after we could walk, i think i got my first rod & reel at five.

Most of my childhood memories are of holidays at Pialba, Fraser island, Stradbroke island, Kingscliffe or weekend fishing & crabbing around the outer Brisbane area with both my dad and/or my uncle. For some reason I don't have any memories of the 10 years I had to spend at school just waiting for the weekends or holidays to come, so we could go fishing or crabbing.

Cheers Gazza.

maztez
04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
For me as a kid it would have to be my Dad .He taught me what he could whilst working 6 to 7 days a week in post ww2 days .In early married life it would definately be my father in law .Hes an old salt and even now would join us in a trip to the banks (if only his health was better )
Probably my most impressive fishing tutor was and old aborigine called Banjo who lived on the banks of the Daly River in the NT .He was my Barra mentor and taught me so much about fishing and life .Gees I miss those times.
cheers Terry

Tangles
04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Id take a couple of clones of myself, so when the first ones arms got tired/ bloody/ cut/knocked etc and too battered to continue , id sent the next clone in. In the meantime the real me would be sitting back having a beer and a laugh at what chaos Ive caused...;D

cheers
Mike

Dignity
04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
1. me dad, hes had a stroke but still loves to put a rod in his hand.

2. V.Mc - now here is a blast from the past, I didn't realise he was still around. I remember reading all his articles 30 years and more past but must admit haven't a mag in years - since I joined ausfish that is.

Crooked
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Vic McCristal is my Dad's cousin and he still lives in Cardwell, doesn't get out fishing to much these days as his eye sight is not great. Writes some great peoms though.

Unfortunately I have never had the chance to go out with him in the boat but have sat with him many times and listened to his fishing yarns. I've read his books many times and one in particular as it holds a story about my dad and his brothers and sisters, unfortunately it tells a story of how my dad watched his brother drown spearfishing.

Vic has so much knowledge and is always great to talk to. I remember going to a seminar that he spoke at and he opened his talk by delivering a "bow and arrow" cast down the aisle of people. Anyone who has ever tried this knows how hard it is.

On the forum topic, I would love to take him fishing, but also wouldn't mind going out on a day with Malcom Douglas, just to see how many times we could get the boat beached high and dry and then have to run back to it when the tide was racing in. He always seems to do this!!

cheers, Evan

shin25
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
im with the others couldnt think of anyone better than the late ron calcutt dnt know if much fishing would be done so many questions

Bob H
04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
cathy freeman,and the crisco lady to deep tempest, just not back again. bob h

onerabbit
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah,

wish I could go fishing with my grandad again, long gone,

I've been going to sea with Ida for the last 6 years nearly...........the best deckie a bloke could have.

Yeah , some of the celebs might be fun for a day, but how good is Elle gonna be when we come to a tricky bar, or if she gets a bit of spray in her face????

Hmmmm

Muzz

Dignity
05-04-2007, 05:13 AM
lets see for one way trips - Johnnie Howard, Peter Costello although he would probably tax the sharks

finga
05-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I'd love to able to get my two pops together again.
The yarns that would be told and the knowledge that would be passed to me would be absolutely unbelievable.

It seems like a lot of people have the same ideas about wanting to take someone special that are no longer with us.

That just reinforces to me to make the most of the people that are around you now.
Don't take them for granted. Appreciate them like there's no tomorrow because you never know when the full time hooter is going to blow.
This is especially pertinent to me during the last few weeks as a good mate was lost.
Noelly Morris from Cleveland.

This is one of my Poppa's at the old jetty at Wardell picking up his tackle box after someone left the lid open. It was the only time I heard him swear ;D

charleville
05-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd love to able to get my two pops together again.

It is interesting to see how many times grand-dads appear in this list. Mine had passed away long before I came along so I cannot identify with this love that people have for the oldies. Very interesting.

It always seems like a strange dynamic that youngsters and grand-parents can identify so well with one another. I have never understood why people get so upset when their grand-parents die. It always seemed too distant a relationship to fret over to me but obviously, the relationships must be very close in some families.

kingtin
05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
It is interesting to see how many times grand-dads appear in this list. Mine had passed away long before I came along so I cannot identify with this love that people have for the oldies. Very interesting.

It always seems like a strange dynamic that youngsters and grand-parents can identify so well with one another. I have never understood why people get so upset when their grand-parents die. It always seemed too distant a relationship to fret over to me but obviously, the relationships must be very close in some families.

Yes Charlie, it's amazing how a thread with what one would think of as having a "simple theme", could conjure up such mixed emotions.

I had a childhood that nowadays I simply refer to as "colourful" ::) ;D with rellies that seemed to hate each others' guts and who even seemed to have no time for their own kids let alone grandchildren cousins etc.

I am grateful that I can (at this latter stage of my life) view the responses to this thread, with merely a hint of sadness at my not knowing what others have experienced. When younger, if reading something like this thread, I would have resented other folks' happy relationships with their kin, and carried a chip on my shoulder, but nowadays, I find that I am encouraged (by things such as this thread) and convinced that there are such good family relationships, and fond memories in abundance for the vast majority of folk. I ask only that they spare a thought for those who aren't so lucky, particularly at a time such as Easter.

Whilst some kids are experiencing the love from their kin, that many of you feel for your kin, alive and departed, there are thousands of others who will never experience that, or indeed experience something that we take for granted such as the taste of a chocolate easter egg. I am not talking here about 3rd world countries but about kids on our own doorstep.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but festive times always get me to thinking about just how lucky I am to have the love of my immediate family, despite not experiencing what many people in this thread have experienced. I am indeed, a lucky feller.

A Happy Easter to you all.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_32.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_17.gif

kev

kingcobe
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Mine would probably be my dad (Kingtin) although we get to go out fishing a lot it is never just me and him alone. Another reason is that he showed me the joy of fishing and I really appreciate that.

Josh

cabfisher
06-04-2007, 09:39 AM
My wife or some one thats good company

Chezzy13
06-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Vin Diesel...:D:D So he can massage my shoulders while I fish, hee hee ;);)

PinHead
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Vin Diesel...:D:D So he can massage my shoulders while I fish, hee hee ;);)

Vin Diesel...hell that bloke has a six pack...you need a real fisherman...we all have the complete carton.

Chezzy13
06-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Vin Diesel...hell that bloke has a six pack...you need a real fisherman...we all have the complete carton.

:D:D ..Hee hee.. ;D..

Since your offering a carton then..;)

BilgeBoy
06-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I told you this one would get you all thinking!!

Hey Charlie....Calm is the word I would use!! Generally buy the time you get to being a grandparent you have walked a few roads & settled a little in life, and I don't mean slowed down. I heard a saying a while back that went something like

When I was 18 I worried about pimples and in my twenties the style of my hair. In my 30's & 40's I worried about how people looked at my career, My life & My family. Did I have a good job, was my house big enough. In my forties and fifties was it my gray hair. Then, when I reached 60, I realised that in fact nobody was looking at me at all.

I think this is why kids love grandparents.....They are calm!! The older ones have that air of presence that says "I will tell you once, listening is your choice...but if you don't...I ain't gunna get all stressed out. Life is too short!!

Have a great Easter everyone

BilgeBoy

shaman
07-04-2007, 05:05 PM
My Dad, I miss him............................................... .............
My wife as it's been over 12 years since we've been fishing, just the two of us.....

Oh & my karaoke machine, at least the fish wouldn't throw stuff at me, not like my wife & kids..................

Livey
08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
My old man,

We have an understanding on the boat and just fall into the roles when anchoring, gaffing, whatever. As much fun as it is taking new people and seeing them catch fish I would rather relax and be content just fishing with dad and not having to worry about anything

Great White
08-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Could not split it to just the one person so I went with 2

1: Jesus because only then would I be able to catch some fish.

2: Bullymore, because then I would know first hand what not to do in a boat.

But I get the added bonus of a floor show because it would need Jesus to use a miracle to get us back safely with Bullymore on board ;D ;D ;D

Dignity
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I told you this one would get you all thinking!!

When I was 18 I worried about pimples and in my twenties the style of my hair. In my 30's & 40's I worried about how people looked at my career, My life & My family. Did I have a good job, was my house big enough. In my forties and fifties was it my gray hair. Then, when I reached 60, I realised that in fact nobody was looking at me at all.

IBilgeBoy

here is why we live as long as we do
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost.php?p=601653&postcount=1369