PDA

View Full Version : Kill/Chill Tank in Bow, an Option?

Marlin_Mike
02-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Have under floor storage in the bow under a raised casting deck. Was thinking of glassing it in and making it a kill/chill fish storage tank. Anyone ever done this and how did it come out?? I thought it wouldnt hurt the boats stability or performance.

A drain plug in the floor to let the water out into the bilge at the end of the day, beats having an ice box taking up room on the deck.

Im talking ice in it to keep the fish, not a plumbed tank to keep fish alive.

Mike

Chimo
02-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey Mike

Not sure of your boat size and weight implications re size of what your contemplating which could be very good.

But if i was to do it I'd probably look at plumbing the drainage so you could
1, use a bilge pump to get waste water out over the side or
2, discharge it thru one of the rear bungs and so avoid potentially smelly waste water blood etc right thru the boat.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Chimo

GAD
02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
G'day Mike , have decided to do the same but putting an kill /chill bin in the front between the seats of the bow rider and will plumb it to drain out the back, with a tap and bilge to clean out the blood when moving spots , and when just cruising at the lake or beach it can be an esky, at least thats the plan .

seatime
03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Mike
It shouldn't hurt the boat performance too much if under 80kgish, but there may be some sloshing around as the ice melts, and drainage will be important, might be an idea to have a good seal around the lid for an ice slurry. Fill it to the top and lock down the lid, the contents shouldn't bruise or spill too much when punching home in a brisk SW'er, don't want to damage all those 35 fathom snapper :)

cheers
Steve

sleepygreg
03-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Mike,

I have finally found the boat I intend to buy - a 5 metre Xtreme bowrider - and one of the modifications i was thinking of was using the space under the front seats as a killbox on one side and a fridge unit on the other - as these are one of the few bowriders that have underfloor storage at the back and a plumbed live well......will be interested in the answers to your question.

Greg

finding_time
04-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Well i guess i depends how much fish you are going to bring home?? Generally when traveling home i'm running down hill( wind behind me or over the port or starboard quarters, the bow is trimmed up! The last place i want weight is in the bow, just my 2 cents

Ian

NAGG
04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
The 480 Hornet has a 120Lt wet well up front! .... A mate had his plumbed & fitted with a pump ..... The touble for him was the slosh & balance .... It really could not be considered more than a 80lt & really could hold a fish no bigger than what could be held in the rear 60lt tank ...... As a kill box there was no insultation & so you needed a lot of ice for the day if it was used as a kill box!:-/ NAGG:-/