just heard this on the radio and looked up BOM

Cooktown from 0931am 02/04/2007
Cairns from 0949am
Gladstone 1139am
Mackay 1144am

Daz

FNQCairns
02-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I just heard it also, crikey how interesting!! Going to put bung in boat!!

cheers fnq

fishingjew
02-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Cooktown from 0931am 02/04/2007
Cairns from 0949am
Brisbane 1033am
Gladstone 1139am
Mackay 1144am

Kiktz
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Surfs Up......... Whooooo Hoooo

just heard on Sky that the entire east coast is on the look out

Aj

Wonder if any fish will wash up ....... free feed

whichway
02-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi

I would have thought that the reef would stop a tsunami, but there you go.

Guess we'll know in the next few hours.

Whichway.

frankgrimes
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Threat to Australia has been revised:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21488464-1702,00.html

A Geoscience spokeswoman said the resulting tsunami would be between 10 and 20cm, posing little threat to residents in isolated areas.
"It's not a really big (threat) for the coast of Australia," she said..

FNQCairns
02-04-2007, 09:59 AM
We have gridlock in places here in Cairn's (never happens) the road to and the lookout (can see it from here it is chocker!) the road south from the northern beaches (low lying is blocked according to the radio. Helicopters in the sky, a few vehicle accidents. Kuranda range was or is very busy.

Getting to be like a tv show by the reports.

I got the bungs in the boat and the genie, engle and stuff inside.

It's all very interesting!!

cheers fnq

Wahoo
02-04-2007, 10:12 AM
LOL i just tried to head into town, what a damn joke, turned round and come home

Daz

Grand_Marlin
02-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Just grab the boogie board and a crash helmet :laola:

FNQCairns
02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Got an email from someone and they say the highway is littered with cars from accidents trying to get out of town, cairns city parking places are deserted. No food at at least 1 supermarket

Going for a drive soon to get milk (if there is any)

Tell ya all, this really got the population moving like nothing else!!

cheers fnq

roydsy
02-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Well if anything can be considered good from this incident is that people can now take the risk of tsunami as possible and be aware of evacuation in the event of future quakes.

It is only a matter of time before one heads our way according to the white coats.

Owen
02-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I have to say it was a bit of an eye opener.
Having been in Thailand a matter of weeks before they got hit, it was a bit eerie to sit here in gladstone wondering if this was going to be similar.

FNQCairns
02-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Got milk, food was easy to find, only saw 2 bingled cars, lot's of people about. Looking forward to the local news to see what was up.

Yeah a eye opener I agree.

The gov has nothing in the ocean to relate the risk, suspect their only conserned about mopping up.

cheers fnq

darryl13
02-04-2007, 01:34 PM
it hit bondi beach also but just our luck the wave height was only 15cm
if it was higher we might have been able to get some money back from indonesia
hahahahah

craig51063
02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
may be it was one of iraqs wmd s
they didnt show up either

lol

Chezzy13
02-04-2007, 02:57 PM
It is only a matter of time before one heads our way according to the white coats.

Yea I agree there..Even though we missed this one, there is always a risk of another bigger one, scary really.:o

tigermullet
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Scary? Copy the Indonesians - grab a wardrobe and head for the surf.;D

Chezzy13
02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

disorderly
02-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Well if anything can be considered good from this incident is that people can now take the risk of tsunami as possible and be aware of evacuation in the event of future quakes.

Good advise there,roydsy.

When I first moved up here permanantly 11 or 12 yrs ago,the missus and I rented a beachfront place at Mission beach(could have bought it for 185 grand at the time,bummer).
There was only one row of houses along the main drag here because there was a steep rise directly behind.
I used to collect pumice from the base of this rise to put in potting mix.
After talking to some of the old timers I discovered that it was deposited back in 1918 from the storm surge from a very destructive cyclone that pretty much destroyed the fledgling community at the time.

The point is that the coastal plains have been inundated by sea water up here before and will be again.
Its great to see that modern technology is being used to give us prior warning for such a potential disaster.

As roydsey says "its only a matter of time".

BTW we now live 20km inland.

cheers Scott

Poodroo
02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Got an email from someone and they say the highway is littered with cars from accidents trying to get out of town, cairns city parking places are deserted. No food at at least 1 supermarket

Going for a drive soon to get milk (if there is any)

Tell ya all, this really got the population moving like nothing else!!

cheers fnq

Just milk the first cow that floats past the front door mate. ;)

Poodroo

tunapikus
02-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Can u send a pint to me as i dont want to leave the bath tub as me and my cartoon r quite snuggly at the moment i dont know about tomorrow though misses will get sh*ts for shore

fishingjew
02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
What I would like to know is how do you warn the people if it happens at 1am given the time frame for it to hit the coast was only 3 tro 4 hours when every one is asleep do we adopt what hawaii has with there sirens or wait till it happens then say well we should have had them? I think it was a good wake up call to a possibiltiy that a lot thought would never happen.

Deadly Tsunami Sweeps Solomon Islands

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070402-tsunami-solomon.html

But this does not explain why other regions appear to have been spared the tsunami's effects. Tsunamis generally propagate most strongly in a direction perpendicular to the fault zone, which in this case should have sent a wave toward Australia, Okal said.

NEWBY
03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Gladstone residents didnt seem to give a sh!t. Streets were as usual. Most waterside businesses got evacuated as precaution. I rang the marina to see if they wanted boats moved and they said they werent sure. They had a cyclone plan but no tsunami plan. I think Gladstone has now completed the set. i am now sure I have seen and heard it all. Anyways, i was ready to send the missus and kids to higher ground and hop on the berty and head out into the harbour. Needless to say, none of it was necessary. Interesting day but all the same.

PinHead
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
some people have criticised the authorities unnecessarily..the poor buggers cannot win...if they don't issue a warning and one does arrive they lose..they issue a warning and it does not arrive..they lose. Better to issue a warning and have nothing happen than to not issue and have a disaster.

tigermullet
03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah I agree Pinhead and even feel sympathy for Peter Beatty on this one.

Not that I care either way - if there is a one in forty five million chance of winning lotto then the odds of being taken out by a tsunami would be about one trillion to one. Not worth worrying about.

FNQCairns
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Missed the milk jokes -funny:) :)

Well it is official (sort of) we had a wave, can say I have lived through one now :) .

http://media.jcu.edu.au/story.cfm?id=768

cheers fnq

Wahoo
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
some people have criticised the authorities unnecessarily..the poor buggers cannot win...if they don't issue a warning and one does arrive they lose..they issue a warning and it does not arrive..they lose. Better to issue a warning and have nothing happen than to not issue and have a disaster.

i agree with ya 99%

but PPl seem to forget or dont even think how much the Media ( TV- paper- radio) blows things out of controll and it really scares the the SH#T of some PPL >:(>:(>:(

Daz

FNQCairns
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I have not heard of people crirising the authorities over the warning.

I have heard of many critising the Govermnent over the inability for the people to assume what risk was apparent throughout the warning and rightly so, considering the reason we had no idea it was only small was because the federal government was not real conserned because hey!... what are the odds of a public relations problem occuring.

This event was large and more importantly was an upheaval form of quake so we did get away with it very well, could have been a much much different end result.

Human nature is interesting, the two lane road to Kuranda was blocked with all of the very self conserned people deciding that a single lane was too slow so they took it upon themselves to force the entire road way for upland travel!
I find that amazing! I also find it amazing people did not consider 200ft above sea level a safe enough height!!!!

cheers fnq