PDA

View Full Version : What are good US sites for buying rod building gear??

finga
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Gidday all,
What are some good sites from the US for buying rodbuilding gear like reel seats, thread and guides etc etc ??
I'm sure I've seen links here before and had a gander through some of the posts but alas, I can't find any links.
I'm wanting to buy and stock up on some stuff whilst the AU$ is up.
Cheers and ta
Scott :)
PS What are Rice threads like??

DR
02-04-2007, 11:23 AM
http://shop.mudhole.com/ :thumbsup:

Noelm
02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
what do you need that you cannot get here in Aus??

Rodman
02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey Finga

Rice threads are just as good as Gubebold
Yea I agree why not get it in Aussie
MO Tackle have an excellent mail order

Ken Burgess
Frazorodz

finga
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Mainly price.
Rice nylon threads 950 yards size A for US$3......450 yards size D for US$3
or the opaque threads size A the same price.
If they could go anywhere near those prices then I'd buy Aussie. :)

DR
02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
what do you need that you cannot get here in Aus??

yes, you can get it all here.... at a price.
spend $200 at mudhole & then work out what it costs to buy locally..:-X

finga
02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
yes, you can get it all here.... at a price.
spend $200 at mudhole & then work out what it costs to buy locally..:-X
And you get a free hat from Mudhole ;D
I have asked for a quote for shipping just so there is no nasties :-[

sandyd
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
This was given to me by an Ausfish Member, great range.

http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/mapomaemth.html

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I've been using Acidrods ( C & M Custom Rod and tackle supplies ) from the US. Worked out the diff between them and MO. No comparison.

US stuff was here in 7days, $13 postage and no issues at all. price wise, way cheaper.

Then again, I recently bought a piece of gear from an Aussie rod building site that cost me $8.50 delivered. MO tackle didn't have it in their online catalogue, but it would have been about $5.00 delivered. Maybe I need to get a hard copy from MO ?

Phill

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Dave, these are cheaper than mudhole for a lot of stuff.

http://www.acidrod.com/

worth a look Scott...........>>>>>>>>>

Than again, PM me about this. ;)

Phill

jan
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I ordered 30 coloured grips from the states today and cost me roughly AU$3.50 a grip plus freight so it was like the budgie.....cheap. Plus I got surgical tubing, a few tools etc etc so worked out ok. I prefer to shop locally when I can, but even my biggest suppliers here didn't have the colours I needed so had to go offshore.
Cheers,
Jan.

sid_fishes
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
jan , were the grips you ordered , were they hypalon or the other stuff eva? cheers ian

DR
04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Dave, these are cheaper than mudhole for a lot of stuff.

http://www.acidrod.com/

worth a look Scott...........>>>>>>>>>

Than again, PM me about this. ;)

Phill

thats another for the bookmarks, thanks Phil:thumbsup:

Ross van Enckevort
05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Geez Guys,
All I can say is I wouldn't want to be going to war with some of you. What about supporting Australian retailers?

Ross. www.therodworks.com.au

JB
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Geez Guys,
All I can say is I wouldn't want to be going to war with some of you. What about supporting Australian retailers?

Ross. www.therodworks.com.au (http://www.therodworks.com.au)

Last time i checked going to war and buying fishing rod building equipment were 2 vastly different things ::)

ldnicolai1@comcast.n
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/

They are next door to Lamiglas and across the highway from GLoomis.

finga
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Geez Guys,

Ross. www.therodworks.com.au (http://www.therodworks.com.au)
No offence Ross but if the Aussie shops come within a bulls roar of the US shops in price then there would be no problem in buying local.
Comes down to economics really.
If anybody can suggest a shop in Aussie that price competitively (that doesn't necessarily mean cheaper) let us know who they are. They'll get a swag of business. ;D

jan
05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
G'day Sid,

No they were EVA as I am doing trim bands with them and inlays etc so needed the different colours. I can get black, green and blue hyperlon in Australia and a few other colours from the states if i need them.

Like Finga said Ross, no offence, but I usually shop locally where I can (if they have stock I need and if I'm given good service I don't mind paying a bit extra), however in this day and age when every penny counts and if I can save close to $75-$150 on a rod because I can get the components cheaper from overseas then unfortunately for the Australian retailer they miss out. I understand they need to have a decent mark up in order to make a living and they have greater freight costs, taxes etc and it can be hard but the same can be said for all of us. We have mortgages, bills to pay, pets to feed, kids to raise etc so any spare coin in my books is worth a lot. If I can make that coin go further all the better for me. anyway this was my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Jan.

grave41
09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Try buying a loomis hsr9000-3s for $950 here and getting it delivered from the states for $450. The same for rod parts. I've purchased from Colleen at acidrod.com for a year now and cant be happier but only for parts that are hard to get here.Fuji do not supply ther full range here.
Imo Graham

sid_fishes
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
at the moment colleen has given a price for a rod lathe+ shipping that no one came come near[ but i,m waiting for a responce from a guy in sydney, but not holding my breath] so we will see in the long run cheers ian

finga
11-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Well all I've done some research and the price of runners is pretty competitive in Aussie.
Might be a dollar or two cheaper overall in the states but when postage comes into play I'll be buying them here except when they're on special in the US.
http://www.therodworks.com.au (http://www.therodworks.com.au/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1) wins for me. I asked a couple of questions and they were answered very directly and to the point taking our style of fishing and target species into account. Something the yanks can't quite do.
Information and local knowledge for me is worth the extra little bit. :)
But sadly the price of thread is too big a gap to buy here. Especially if I'm after about 40 spools :(

finga
11-04-2007, 06:28 AM
at the moment colleen has given a price for a rod lathe+ shipping that no one came come near[ but i,m waiting for a responce from a guy in sydney, but not holding my breath] so we will see in the long run cheers ian
Be carefull about the voltage of the motor Ian.
They use nancy-boy 110V ac over there.
Transformers are easy to get though and I'd probably have one in the dungeon if that's any help.
Cheers mate.
PS I've had the lathe doing overtime changing the foregrip shape. :-/

sid_fishes
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
after speaking with rick from pac bay they supply a converter, [at a small cost] but i am waiting to hear from rohit to see what the final dollars are . so did you knock to knob off the end or just round it off cheers ian

finga
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
after speaking with rick from pac bay they supply a converter, [at a small cost] but i am waiting to hear from rohit to see what the final dollars are . so did you knock to knob off the end or just round it off cheers ian
the big choppo :)

sid_fishes
12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
just an update the cost of the lathe from colleen, the cost is $530 including transport, from here $700 so why should i buy here, i work way to hard for my money

sandyd
25-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I have just found a place that sells Madeira PolyNeon 1100 spools in the US of $1.65, I had to email them to make sure that this was a current price list. That is an amazingly big difference then I have seen on any site be it international or local.

finga
25-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I have just found a place that sells Madeira PolyNeon 1100 spools in the US of $1.65, I had to email them to make sure that this was a current price list. That is an amazingly big difference then I have seen on any site be it international or local.
Well share the name with us :)

sandyd
27-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Well share the name with us :)

I Was going to wait to see what they where like for international sales, but I think I will leave that up to the individual to find out.

The price is correct as per web site $1.65US per 1100 yard spool.
To place an international order it has to be done by email as their site is not set up yet for international sales.
To find the list of threads and price you need to go into the "Master Index" up near the top of the page.

I placed an order on Thursday for 60 spools, tried to get it down to 40 but that was impossible to do, and now I will wait and see how long it takes, they do say the same day mail out.

http://www.brothermall2.com/Storefront.asp?mscssid=BM207421424501027694

sandyd
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Received the thread today which means it took 5 working days to get here. I said the cost was $1.65 US but it turned out to be $1.58 each because there is no tax for international orders, also don't believe I was charged for freight either. All up it cost me $108.00 AUS for 57 spools of Madeira Polyneon.

finga
08-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Who's a happy camper then??
Thanks for the link Sandy. You've done very well. :D
That's nearly 10 spools for the price of 1
Guess where I'm going next payday??

markos
12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I,ve bought from Mo a bit over the years but there service is very up and down, local shop is not interested and the other one twice the price of mo, Having a look at some overseas blanks and they seem quite reasonable, anyone know how much duty or tax we pay on orders around 500us.

thanks for any help.

metaloid
21-06-2007, 11:52 PM
>anyone know how much duty or tax we pay on orders around 500us

In theory there is no tax for items under $1000... however that only applies to EMS packages (ie. post-office type) as opposed to international courier (eg. Fedex, UPS). With the latter, it's a bit like lotto, sometimes you win and it's delivered to your door by magic :D, sometimes (happened to me twice) you loose and get a little phone call asking for your credit card details in order to pay for the customs duty, etc. >:(

btw, the duty on US500 is something like $80 (from memory, so I could be wrong).