PDA

View Full Version : Mariner outboard advice please

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey there everyone,
It's time to start thinking about my options for getting a boat up and running to get me out on the water. I have an old tinny that requires major trailer work and I am weighing up what to do. Should I bother going through the major exercise of doing the old trailer up baring in mind I don't have welding experience or do I just hang the expense and buy a new trailer? The other problem I have is the 25 hp Mariner outboard works but has a gearbox problem and is stuck in reverse. I have no idea how to pull down an outboard motor so any advice is much appreciated. I live at Mt.Warren Park in the Beenleigh area if anyone with knowledge lives nearby. Here is a pic of the motor to give an idea of age etc. The tinny is a 3.75 metre.

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
01-04-2007, 11:33 AM
If my sight serves me OK that's a Yammi Mariner.
Bring it around home and we can do some surgery :D
Who knows what's wrong until it's pulled apart.
Is that Brians trailer your talking about?? If so bung it on ebay and get another.

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey there Scotty, I do have Brian's old trailer here as well but the tinny is on it's original but sad trailer(missing one mudguard and the other is just hanging on there). I was toying with the idea of maybe making one trailer out of both or perhaps measuring and shortening Brian's old trailer to fit but that is going to require major work either way. I just don't have the equipment to do it so maybe go a new trailer perhaps. Maybe I should abandon the whole idea and go new 4.2 tinny. I have so many options really. I guess a good option would be to load an esky into the tinny and pack in a carton of Australia's finest beer and rock on up to your place. There is however no chance that you would sucker me into blowing into the bung holes.::) Lol

Cheers,

Poodroo

Kleyny
01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Poodroo,
Just turn the motor around.;D ;D :P
as Finga said you cant even guess until you start pulling it apart.
always keep in mind the outboard wreckers.

Good luck

Neil

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Trust me HONKY DORY I did think about bow mounting it. :D

Poodroo

finga
01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Mudguards are no troubles to bung back on.
Forget the making 1 trailer out of 2 idea. All you'll menage to do out of that is get the willies.
Bring it around and we can have a gander at the package and see what it needs.

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Okay Scotty. Thanks for that. I will organize something with you soon. Just let me know how much time you have so that I can fit in with you as best as possible.

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Monday and Tuesday are out.
Any arvo after that is fine.
:)

dnej
01-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Yep, that is a Mariner, Made by Yammie, in the early 80's.
They go and go and go and go and go.

Dont know of any box problems.

Dont try and repair a Ted, trailer, if its rusty,the more you dig, the worse it gets.
David

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Monday and Tuesday are out.
Any arvo after that is fine.
:)

Work keeps me busy 5 days a week anyhow so weekends are my only option. I could however hit the boss up for a couple of weeks holiday. He loves it when do that. ::) ;D

Poodroo

Noelm
02-04-2007, 10:53 AM
can't agree more on the trailer, been down that road before, dump it and buy/make another one, and that old motor, the gear box (if it comes apart) will be a "snack" to fix.

Noelm
02-04-2007, 10:54 AM
OH of course make sure it is not the shift linkages that are jammed/rusted before you pull it into a million bits, try the simple fix first!

Reel Hard
02-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I Got An Old 15ft Trailer Off A Member And Cut The Rusty 3ft Off The Back End, Painted It In Underbody Paint To Help The Old Gal Coating Last.
The Guards Were The Most Expenive Part And It Cost About 250 To Fix Up. I Paid 200 For It Registered Originally.
I Did All The Welding And Work Myself. It Came Up Quite Well And Will Last A Long Time Now.
Was It Worth The Effort, Only Just I Think.

Poodroo
02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Noelm. I hope you are right about the gearbox problem. If it is the linkages then I will be a happy man. Anything to save a major job. :P

Reel Hard I am going to try and get together with finga and see what he reckons because he seems to have more know how than I do when it comes to this sort of thing. If he says "Nah, chuck the trailer matey and buy new one!" then I guess I will be getting a new one. Lol

Poodroo

finga
21-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Poo's happy. Or is that happy poo. ::)
No gearbox problems, just linkages.
Only problem is you can't put the linkage back on until the power head comes off.
Oh well.
At least with the power head off it's a good chance to check everything else (like top and bottom seals, water jackets etc) I suppose.

BM
21-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Have fun with the shift linkage Finga.... Those Jap Mariners are a pain sometimes with the little ball bearing in the linkage.

If he needs any parts it will likely be a several week wait and very expensive. I went through that exercise a little while ago with a 60hp Jap Mariner. Needed new top engine mounts. From memory they were about $500 and took 3-4 weeks to come in from the US.

Poodroo, it would pay to get it up and running and then get rid of it.

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Have fun with the shift linkage Finga.... Those Jap Mariners are a pain sometimes with the little ball bearing in the linkage.

If he needs any parts it will likely be a several week wait and very expensive. I went through that exercise a little while ago with a 60hp Jap Mariner. Needed new top engine mounts. From memory they were about $500 and took 3-4 weeks to come in from the US.

Poodroo, it would pay to get it up and running and then get rid of it.

Just purchased a new Dunbier trailer to put under it. I kind of gather it will have better resale possibilities if it was all up and running with a new trailer etc. Will see how Finga gets on with the linkage. I think the motor has great possibilities. The whole boat combo is going to be a half decent rig I think. Will put a few pics up when it all comes together.

Poodroo

finga
23-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Poo's nearly afloat.
Would that then make him a floating poo?? :-/

The power head came off then the problem found...which was a broken weld that holds the pin in the gear lever cam thing-a-ma-jig that pushes another lever who'si-whats-it looking gismo backwards and forwards that then pushes the gear-select rod up and down.
A new stainless stepped pin was turned up with a cap on the back so the friggin' thing can't come out again or break off and the power head put back on.
Gearbox oil flushed and refilled and we're just waiting on the new impellor and then he's away (after rego fee is paid).
Beauty ;D

PS For those with no understanding of my technical mumbo-jumbo it's part # 12 here
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/686/150.cfm

finga
23-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh Poo I used the 25 Mariner 1980 model on that site to get the part #'s

dogsbody
23-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hope she turns out good for ya Pooman. Bet ya can't wait.

Dave.

Poodroo
23-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh Poo I used the 25 Mariner 1980 model on that site to get the part #'s

Mate I saw your work and in a word simply brilliant. I think it is a design improvement for sure so you may want to contact Mariner with the Patented idea. ;) Could call it the "Finga thingamajiggy whatsamahoogey pin cotter MK 1" ;D
By the way, I am very appreciative of the advise, time and effort you have been putting in. Once it is all completed maybe we can have drag races up and down the logan with Junior. The Logan River Tinnie Grand Prix!!! Lol

Poodroo

Poodroo
23-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Hope she turns out good for ya Pooman. Bet ya can't wait.

Dave.

Lol thanks Dave. I am getting so keen I think I am starting to froth at the mouth. All the fishing gear came out of the shed and into the house. Once that boat is ready and registered I'll be in it so fast the rods will suffer from whiplash. ;D I think my nickname is starting to haunt me somewhat. For the records it isn't affiliated in anyway with poo. ::) It is in fact a twisted nickname an uncle gave me some years ago derived from my real name which is Andrew. Lol The breakdown goes a little like this.... Andrew...... drewpoo...... Poodroo... the latter one of course is what stuck with me because it got the most amount of laughter from the large gathering of relatives at the particular party I was at. It stuck with me so badly that in the end I just went with the flow and use it even for my email address. It's original that's for sure. Lol

Poodroo

Poodroo
23-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh by the way Finga, are we able to do that transom modification before the motor goes back on? I am not doing a huge amount this coming weekend so I can help you with it. Just let me know what I need to buy to do it and I will get it.(Provided you want to do it)

Regards

Poodroo

finga
24-04-2007, 06:52 AM
We'll talk about the transom. What do you mean before the motor goes back on. It's a tiny motor on a tinny. 2 shakes of a lambs tail and it's off again.
But we'll see. I have to look to see what I have under the house material wise but we should be right.

Drag race...not up the Logan too many logs.
For that I'll break out the old 37 year old glass boat and and bung the other old spare motor I have in the dungeon on it and take ya on.
It wouldn't be worth getting 'Junior' wet for that.

Sorry about your new nickname but Brian told me to do it. Honest.
He didn't want to be the only one that I've taken the micky out off.
He's probably having a quiet chuckle right now :D

Poodroo
24-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Well I was all excited today up until Finga decided to do a compression test. Over 160psi in the top cylinder and then 70psi in the bottom... Uhoh. :-/ Forgot to ask how hard it is to pull the engine down. Oh well, it runs. Will do for the time being!

Poodroo

FNQCairns
24-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Been following with interest, the compression is a shame. I think just run it, don't forget your oars and try trips with a view to tide and wind and ramp, still a heap of fun to be had!
Consider warming it up pretty well before blasting off each time to make it last, also grab a can of the Merc/Yam/Bom decarbon spray and dose it well - certainly worth a try before pullin it down you may get a surprise! as I have in the past, also if you do a decarbon make sure the engine is near operating temp if you want the best result.

cheers fnq

blaze
24-04-2007, 11:14 PM
isnt 160psi abnormally high, I would have thought around 120 would be normal maybe 140's. Whats the specs
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
25-04-2007, 03:03 AM
Been following with interest, the compression is a shame. I think just run it, don't forget your oars and try trips with a view to tide and wind and ramp, still a heap of fun to be had!
Consider warming it up pretty well before blasting off each time to make it last, also grab a can of the Merc/Yam/Bom decarbon spray and dose it well - certainly worth a try before pullin it down you may get a surprise! as I have in the past, also if you do a decarbon make sure the engine is near operating temp if you want the best result.

cheers fnq

Yeah the compression is a shame but on the bright side at least I have great compression in one cylinder. :-/ ;) I won't push the little outboard too hard though. What I will do is just get it used to motoring again as it has not had a decent run for at least 1 1/2 years. Once it has done a couple of trips will check on the compression again and see what it reads. Will check out the decarbon spray. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blaze yeah I think 160psi is extreme but I don't think detremental however. Better than the other pot sitting on 70psi. Will see how it goes. It will be in the water real soon and then the fun begins. Time permitting the transfer onto the new trailer will happen on Friday and early Saturday morning I am towing it to Finga's place to do a transom modification. The transom sits quite low and consequently the leg of the motor reaches too far down so Finga and his ingenuity are going to do a modification to raise the transom height which will then give the motor a higher mount to get it up further. Will have a couple of benefits being a less stiff steering when motoring along and also with a higher transom I will be less likely to have wash or waves come over the back (All in theory). Glad some of you are taking an interest in my project. Will have some photos coming up soon of the work in progress.

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
25-04-2007, 06:19 AM
isnt 160psi abnormally high, I would have thought around 120 would be normal maybe 140's. Whats the specs
cheers
blaze
In all honesty matey I reckon the motor has done bugger all work. I reckon it was an auxiliary. There is stuff all corrosion anywhere on the motor as well. Just the outside is rough-as-guts (no offense RAG ;)).
It may be just a stuck ring or two on both cylinders but a short time (and some spray down the guts with the magic spray) on the water will tell.
If not a quick strip down and problem will be found.
It's only time :P. Wish there was a lot more of it though.
It is a shame about the hickup but that's how the cookies crumble.

I've even thought of a name for the boat....
quick and easy and cheap for the stickers.
Then it is a floating poo or is that a poo floater ;D....
Even convenient for Poo's wife when Andrew forgets to come home.
Mrs Poo on the phone to Andrew.... " come in number 2. Your time is up". Just like the hire boats and canoe's of days gone by.
Cheers Scott

Poodroo
25-04-2007, 05:23 PM
In all honesty matey I reckon the motor has done bugger all work. I reckon it was an auxiliary. There is stuff all corrosion anywhere on the motor as well. Just the outside is rough-as-guts (no offense RAG ;)).
It may be just a stuck ring or two on both cylinders but a short time (and some spray down the guts with the magic spray) on the water will tell.
If not a quick strip down and problem will be found.
It's only time :P. Wish there was a lot more of it though.
It is a shame about the hickup but that's how the cookies crumble.

I've even thought of a name for the boat....
quick and easy and cheap for the stickers.
Then it is a floating poo or is that a poo floater ;D....
Even convenient for Poo's wife when Andrew forgets to come home.
Mrs Poo on the phone to Andrew.... " come in number 2. Your time is up". Just like the hire boats and canoe's of days gone by.
Cheers Scott

Lol Scott. Trust you to take the #1 out of me. ::) :P

Poodroo

Poodroo
27-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Latest update. The boat is now registered and on the new trailer and tomorrow Saturday 28th. I will tow it over to Finga's place where he will unleash his awesome welding talent to do a transom modification to raise it up and get the motor higher in the process. All going well it could have it's maiden voyage by the afternoon.;D

Poodroo

blaze
27-04-2007, 03:11 PM
or you may find a nasty bit of salt inpregnated ali that wont weld and just falls on the floor in a big blob, hope all goes well for the water test.
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
27-04-2007, 03:35 PM
or you may find a nasty bit of salt inpregnated ali that wont weld and just falls on the floor in a big blob, hope all goes well for the water test.
cheers
blaze

Thanks blaze but don't put a jinx on the ali job. :P There are also plans under way to get a new paint job done with Great White. I was thinking perhaps I could put on some drinks and a BBQ at his place and turn it into a future M&G and hand everyone a sheet of sandpaper and a sanding block and have a working bee before putting on a feed. ;D

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
27-04-2007, 03:44 PM
cheers
blaze
Gees mate, don't put the hex on ;)
Hopefully we'll be right as the boat has been painted (hopefully sealing the alloy and keeping the brine out), is old (read that a lot thicker) and reasonably clean of corrosion and salty junk.
The work is only a transom extension towards the heavens and maybe a gusset or three for strength.
Hopefully a good clean-up with the flapper and/or bead blaster and we'll be right.
I don't like blow-outs. They normally land up my arms or down the boots and not on the floor :-[
You'll probably find out how we went tomorrow I'd say.
It'll be either :D or :-/ for me and if I'm :D Andrew will be :2vrolijk_08:

dogsbody
27-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Latest update. The boat is now registered and on the new trailer and tomorrow Saturday 28th. I will tow it over to Finga's place where he will unleash his awesome welding talent to do a transom modification to raise it up and get the motor higher in the process. All going well it could have it's maiden voyage by the afternoon.;D

Poodroo

Gday Floater ;D sorry Andrew had to be done. Mate don't get to carried away, thats a sure way to lead to disappointment just think that somethings going to go wrong that way it won't be such a bummer. Hope you do get it out soon, oh and the boat as well ;D.

Dave.

blaze
27-04-2007, 05:34 PM
had a hot piece of ali (moltin) go down a pair of unlaced, lace up boots once, Ya never credit how hard it is to get the boots off even though they were unlaced. Only a little bit, about a 3mm blob and it went about 1/4 inch into the instep of my foot before it stopped burning its way down. Bonus was, hole in foot with no blood, took some getting out and a long time to heal.
Yeh
I really hope all goes well and being older and thicker and transom I am sure all will go to plan, be waiting with baited breath (cant do any thing else, blowing its but off)
cheers
blaze

pickers
27-04-2007, 05:54 PM
poodroo
have a look about half way down the leg of your motor and see if you have a small cover with 2 screws in it , if you do then open it up and undo the linkage inside the leg and then try moving your gear change lever , if the top half moves it's the lower end (drop the lower leg and go for the gearbox)and if it doesn't it will mean taking the whole block off.I had a 15hp early 80's mariner and now have a 60hp early 80's motor and that other member is right , they go go go go you can't kill them in a hurry.
pickers

finga
27-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Blaze, that happened to me but I had elastic sides on.
I fell over trying to get them off pretty friggin' quickly and knocked the noggin' on something and started to leak claret from the forehead.
I've never heard the cook laugh so loud and for so long when I explained the forehead when she got home from work.
No sympathy what-so-ever :(

Poodroo
27-04-2007, 06:03 PM
poodroo
have a look about half way down the leg of your motor and see if you have a small cover with 2 screws in it , if you do then open it up and undo the linkage inside the leg and then try moving your gear change lever , if the top half moves it's the lower end (drop the lower leg and go for the gearbox)and if it doesn't it will mean taking the whole block off.I had a 15hp early 80's mariner and now have a 60hp early 80's motor and that other member is right , they go go go go you can't kill them in a hurry.
pickers

Thanks for the advice pickers however the problem has already been solved by Finga. Motor is almost ready to go back on tomorrow. I was going to see if any clever people out there could help me come up with an appropriate name for the boat but I will refrain from doing so now because I know what sort of suggestions will come out of people like Dogsbody. ::) :P ;D See you bright and early Finga. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

P.S. That engine number you gave me today worked by the way Scotty. ;) ;D