PDA

View Full Version : Horizon 540 bowrider

UAnimal
01-04-2007, 07:47 AM
hey, I'm buying a new boat and wondered if anyone has any feedback on the Horizon 540 bowrider. I'm considering it or the bluefin 525.......... both with a 115hp Yamaha. I would even like to hear from anyone that has had a Horizon alloy boat above 5 metres in length. I'm keen to know if they ride ok or if there were any issues with the build quality etc. Are they an ok boat????

Steve A
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
UAnimal

I have recently brought a new Allycraft 540 Bowrider with a 90 optimax ( uses bugger all fuel) I did at first check out the Horizon one, but the lack of free board turned me off. But have you seen the new Quintrex bowrider with the inboard 3.0 merc, very well laid out, but still lacking in free board.

UAnimal
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for that. I originally was looking at a Trailcraft and then a Bluefin 525. I went to the tinny show and saw the Horizon 540 Bowrider which to me looked to be the best all round package. I liked the 115 Yamaha because it would pull a skier and brought the package in at a reasonable cost. Trouble is I can't find any reviews on the boat and some of the posts I have seen say the build quality is pretty ordinary. I don't know a whole heap about them but when I looked over the boat and compared it to the others it looked pretty similar - welds, finish etc.

The Bluefin was a pretty good boat as well but the step down in the floor would drive me crazy, particularly with the Bimini up when trying to fish. When fishing at the stern of the boat I would walk smack into it every time I came back under the bimini as it is 6 to 8 inches lower at the stern due to the step up.

The Trailcraft I thought was by far the nicest boat but it had the highest price tag as well. It was well above my budget.
If anyone else knows what the build quality is like on the Horizon boat or knows someone with one I would love to hear from them.

Thanks again...............