PDA

View Full Version : What would you change on your boat if you could take it back to the manufacturer?

the_bomber
31-03-2007, 10:02 PM
No matter how good a boat looks in the brochure or in the show room you don't know the things that are wrong with its design until you actually have to drive it, fish out of it, clean it, service it or store it.
If you could get it redesigned what would you do? I am not talking about things that the designer did not design the boat for but usually little things that could improve the boat to make it perfect.

I love my boat and it does what I want it to do. It is an offshore fishing boat but has a few niggling issues that if I could change it would be better. For instance:

1. access to the batteries for inspection and servicing is terrible. The space allowed in the back of the boat and the design prevents any simple fix. The space is too small to put the batteries in boxes if I wanted to and removing the house battery requires the removal of a scewed in hatch. The batteries are slightly above deck level but taking a green wave on board would probably drown the cranking battery.

2 a floor hatch was designed without any support on the edges underneath and the floor started to flex and crack around it until I took it to a fibreglasser to fit bracing. I have looked at the latest models and the design hasn't changed.

3 the cabin door is flush with the deck and there is nothing preventing water going under the door and into the cabin where the carpet, that the manufacturer glues to the floor, gets wet takes forever to dry out and causes mildew in the cabin. This is a pain when hosing out fish guts etc and could be easily remied in design by having a lip to make it more watertight

4 the height of the bait board did not allow the outboard to tilt up fully without striking it. The outboard wasn't unusually high and a damn sight lower than some more modern motors. The problem was fixed by extending the posts for the bait board but the manufacturer could have made it right in the first place.

5. to change the globes in the port and starboard nav lights requires cutting and pulling up the cabin lining to get at the nuts holding them in place

6. the factory wiring is a dog's breakfast. Nothing like the top yank boats

7. the factory fitted electric dunny had no ball valves on the under water skin fittings. It became apparent that the dunny had been put in bfore the deck moulding and the hull were joined as the plumbing and wiring could not have been installed (or for that matter could not be removed without a series of new 'inspection hatches' being cut) after the two were joined. Very interesting out at sea and the water is coming in through the rusted out mascerator on the dunny and there were no valves. the manufacturer has claimed to me that they have never factory fitted an electric dunny but this one could only have been installed before the cabin deck was put on.

8. the frame work for the roof could have a grabrail along its length to make going forward to the bow around the outside a lot safer and easier. It is on the 'wish list' of jobs in the future but a basic design thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not wanting to have a go at the manufacturer as I think they make an excellent product. These are little things that I would hope the manufacturer would take as a means of improving the boat. These are just the things that came to mind at the moment and I am sure if I could actually get near my boat and use it for a change that I would think of more. Hopefully this may alert people to things they hadn't considered when looking at a boat.

I am sure other Ausfishers have other matters they would like to see changed on their boats that have only been discovered by using them.

OK that's way too much one finger typing for this life time.
Rob

finding_time
31-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Gees that's a big list of problems!!! Your either a little @n@l or you own a cruise craft 685 outsider!!;D ;D ;D

Ian

finding_time
01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Just one thing i did change on the old boat and would like to change on the new one would be Fuel tank size!! I always feel that most builders put to small a tank in most boats , and it's generally a pain to fix as well.

Ian

Deiter
01-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Geez Ian, i wouldn't have picked the word @n@l. Specific maybe?

I could give you a list as long as my arm without going and looking at the boat.

Baitboard height is too low, windscreen should be further forward on the cab, giving more dash space, under bunk storage should be deeper, skippers seat should be more central to steering wheel, bilge pump mounting plate should be on the bottom of the hull, not an inch and a half above, blah blah blah....

I could take up a page if i wanted to get really @n@l about it.;)

Damo

ozscott
01-04-2007, 06:00 AM
I have an old Seafarer Vagabond 21 cab cruiser. I can say that the access way through to the prow/foredeck is too squishy. I am 98kg and 6,1 tall and cannot get through without a half pike manouver. The bunks are tall, so that there is good sitting height, but that contributes to not being able to get through. I think that a verticle section should have been cut as part of the hatch, just like my old V163 haines - much smaller boat, but much better access. Having said that I installed an electric windlass a year or so ago and so I rarely need to get up there. Also there are walkaround sections (albeit only 4 -5 inches wide) so you can go outboard to get there.

Apart from that I dont have any complaints. I have added heaps over the last couple of years such as rear seats etc, but thats not a criticism of the original boat. The dash space was massive until I filled it with 2 GPS Sounders, 2 Radios and a CD and Trim Tab controls. In the lower dash (verticle) I have added fuel guage - ie Navman flow, windlass controls and some other stuff including 12 volt socket. What was already there was the Yamaha twin guages (trim and tilt, oil levels etc) and compass. Somewhere in all that is the wheel!.

The side pockets are huge, and the under seating area in the cabin has good storage also. The Twin floor tanks as standard are excellent as are the twin hatches for them. The bilge is a good size and accessable to stick in float switch and twin pumps. There is heaps of room under the hold style double outboard well (with one motor on it) for batteries x 2, dual switch, 6 litre oil container, heavy duty (ex telecom) cabling, and porta pot. The windscreen as standard is tall and is armour plate. The only other thing I would change is that the side windows are perspex and they would be better as armour plate glass also.

Otherwise she is a lovely old girl. The baitboard was made and installed before I got the boat and it was a great job.

Cheers

Roughasguts
01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Well I would love to have my Signature 492 F, wider, move the fuel tank two foot forward to better balance the weight of the boat.

Really think boats should still have a keel, for low speed control, and better cross wind handling, even just a dagger or small skeg up front, that can be pulled up or down via remote cable or something.

A walk through rear door on the transom, and huge marlin board on the back. Nice S/S railing to make it a little safer, would only use it for swimming but that's okay. Glass windows instead of plastic, window washers and wipers.

That will do for a start, hmmm nah anchor winch as well.

PinHead
01-04-2007, 01:43 PM
air conditioning

Chimo
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Carpet clipped in not glued, longer bunks (an option apparently), identity datadots on boat, motors and trailer with a myrid of warning stickers on boat motors trailer and car so "tea leaves" go elsewhere. Long sealed under floor fish bins with drainage to the outside ie not thru the bilge and separate strained bilge pumps for each. LED globes thruout. Auto pilot and radar Solar powered fridge freezer. "Kerryed" trailer brakes (with the all the mods and no more brake hassels after drowning) Could think of more but probably should keep it simple. Pinhead, how would A/C work on mine?

PS might have to send the boss back out to work for this lot!

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
01-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Mines a preyyt basic tinny so not much to compare esp as I have yet to run it.

1 thing so far is the half pods sealed buoyancy chambers on either side are constructed too lightly, which makes planed changes (like fitting a aux motor) more complex and also costly.

cheers fnq

PinHead
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Carpet clipped in not glued, longer bunks (an option apparently), identity datadots on boat, motors and trailer with a myrid of warning stickers on boat motors trailer and car so "tea leaves" go elsewhere. Long sealed under floor fish bins with drainage to the outside ie not thru the bilge and separate strained bilge pumps for each. LED globes thruout. Auto pilot and radar Solar powered fridge freezer. "Kerryed" trailer brakes (with the all the mods and no more brake hassels after drowning) Could think of more but probably should keep it simple. Pinhead, how would A/C work on mine?

PS might have to send the boss back out to work for this lot!

Cheers
Chimo

a/c on yours?? easy..install the unit..evap to feed thru duct to under the bunks..grilles supplying air there...condenser water via thru hull fittingds...gen set to run it or else use shore power...it was an option for mine but idiot me said no thanks.

finding_time
01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
air conditioning

You mean to tell me Pinhead that floating gin place of your doesn't have Aircon!!!:D

Stubbie Holder
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Have to say that 90% of the previous complaints have been addressed in our boat at the factory (680 Patriot) "Love It" but the rocket launcher is a little too high for us (over the hard top) and I have added two additional rod holders in the gunwales. Other than that it has turned out to be an almost (for us) ideal fishing rig.

Stubbie!

PinHead
01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
You mean to tell me Pinhead that floating gin place of your doesn't have Aircon!!!:D

I know..I know..missus keeps reminding me....it was an available factory fitted option but I decided against it....I am averse to sleeping on a boat with a gen set operating....could be a very long sleep with the exhaust fumes if something goes wrong. I could have gotten the air cond and would then have to be at a marina with shore power to use it...so...I said no thanks.

bastard
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
;D I have a 26 caribbean and i wish there was more room for a decent deep cycle battery.The boat comes with two 70 amp hour marine batteries which crank each engine,the house power also runs off won of the start batteries so i just fitted an 80 watt solar panel to help a bit.Also the fuel tank breather is fitted half way up the port side and every now and then you get a woft of fuel out of the breather(25mm diameter breather hose)I want to fit a bbq but am a bit worried about the occasional fuel smell,apart from that im stoked with the boat.

BilgeBoy
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Alleycraft 4.35m front steer

I would like to ask Alleycraft if...at all possible...I could have one that TAKES ME TO FISH!! This one ain't the best at that :) Other than that, maybe;

1. more of a recess in the dash to access the step through screen. That way my back don't bend like a banana pullin anchor.

2. Move the seats back about 2 inches so ya can actually straighten your legs when you stand up.

3. In floor tank option??? and battery??

Now I haven't had it that long, so I am sure as time goes on, I can add to the list. But there is a start.

Air-conditioning...for pity sake!!!

BilgeBoy

PinHead
01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
awwww BilgeBoy...what is wrong with wanting some creature comforts on board ?

kingtin
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Whittley 650 Sea Legend.

Foot pump for the live bait tank which is set in the floor to half a turn. Pops up on it's own regularly simply with the vibration of the boat. The bait tank fills quicker from the deck wash anyway so whoever thought of a foot pump must've had their head up their pumper ;D

The hatch is rebated below the roof of the cabin so therefore holds water around it. Open the hatch to do the anchor and if you've taken water at any time.......you cop the lot....it also just sits there when it's rained until it evaporates off ::)

Bait board, which clamped onto ski pole, set over the mercruiser cowl so all the crap drips onto the cowl. Have solved this by adding a marlin board and putting the bait board on the railing around the marlin board.......expensive exercise to keep the cowl clean ;) ;D

Rod holders not angled outward enough.

Side pockets too small and all those little thingymajigs that hide the screw heads have all fallen off.

Sides and clears not proper fit (Zips don't run to ends)

Windscreen wiper leaking which resulted in rainwater staining to cabin upholstery.

Trailer brakes seized 3 times in 18 months

Stainless rusting already.

Disappointing considering Whittleys reputation.

Seahorse
01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
3 ft longer and add cabin

cheers
greg

Chimo
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi PinHead

At least you will know about A/C and diesel genset min 7.5 kva for the next boat be it another like you have but I think the other one you talked about would be the better way to go as you won't be in such a rush. That really sounded like a plan to me.

A/C on mine will need to be at least double the required size to cope with the poor quality insulation and the breezes!!!! Back to the drawing board.

BTW did you catch up the post earlier today re doing a repeat of the raft up but without the "Super Gin Palace" wakes. Need to decide a suitable time tho.
ref Poodroo on the Cheech hasn't a problem thread

Cheers
Chimo

Dignity
01-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Side pockets too narrow to take even a small tackle box, batteries too hard to get in and out or even to check fluid levels, the fuel lines and breather hoses are positioned in the area where you would expect a decent underfloor kill tank. Also the floor drainage system is one of the oddest I've seen around otherwise the rest is quite ok. Allison Vision 195, 1990 model.

sam

kingtin
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah!...............and Whittleys don't even have a bung hole.........you're supposed to rely on the bilge pump to pump it out when you wash down ::) Had one put in before delivery.

kev

finding_time
01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Whittley 650 Sea Legend.

Disappointing considering Whittleys reputation.

I'm sure if you keep looking Kev you will find 20 or 30 more faults then it really will live up to it's reputation!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry mate couldn't help myself, bad bad findingtime::)

Ian

Craigo
01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
A fuel gauge that works

kingtin
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm sure if you keep looking Kev you will find 20 or 30 more faults then it really will live up to it's reputation!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sorry mate couldn't help myself, bad bad findingtime::)

Ian

I daren't keep looking mate otherwise I'll have a breakdown. The deckie bought the bugger, not me, although at the time I wasn't going to argue with her.

You want more?

A fuel gauge that showed empty when half full.

The catch on the anchor well fell off after 2 trips.

Switch the radio on and the sounder goes off.

No hour meter so I had one installed. Took the boat home in the evening and didn't climb into it till the following day...........the ignition was on and my new hour meter had 37 hrs on the clock! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif

kev.........crying :'(

trueblue
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I would have added a hard top and rocket launchers...

Steve A
01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Allycraft 540 Bowrider

The space between the consol and the seat, damn sure the desinger at allycraft was skinny. Oh and a fish box that is always full.

the_bomber
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
heh heh heh
I thought you might be lurking out there Marlin Barred.
Way too much effort in the teaser but boy it got him all excited. Shame the missus came home before the bite and I wasn't watching for the strike.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
love and kisses
Mr. @n@l

the_bomber
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Stubbie Holder
I have always admired the patriot.
What did you get sorted at the factory before you got it?

Dignity
02-04-2007, 08:42 PM
oh, and a better spot to put the oil tank - wont fit in the side pocket but sits where the kill tank should be ::) . If any one knows of an alternative skinnier oil tank for a 150hp merc please let me know then I can finally sort out the back end of the boat properly

finga
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
build date :(

TonyOW31
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
;D I have a 26 caribbean and i wish there was more room for a decent deep cycle battery.The boat comes with two 70 amp hour marine batteries which crank each engine,the house power also runs off won of the start batteries so i just fitted an 80 watt solar panel to help a bit.Also the fuel tank breather is fitted half way up the port side and every now and then you get a woft of fuel out of the breather(25mm diameter breather hose)I want to fit a bbq but am a bit worried about the occasional fuel smell,apart from that im stoked with the boat.

I have a Caribbean 26 also, and whilst hunting for a good one I saw one that was fitted with a house battery in the small compartment under the step in to the cabin, just where the water pressure pump is. It was a very neat set up, and I will be doing the same thing eventually.

bastard
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
It looks as though it would be a tight fit ,on mine there is a bracket and platform up of the bottom of the hull that has a pressure pump on it,i reckon id have to lower that platform 60mm or so.At the moment the solar panel is keeping up fine,i only have an anchor light on at night and one other light until i go to bed,i use a 40 litre wacoe and the toilet is manuel so i shoudnt be able to use more then the solar panel puts in.Does yours have a name on it mine is called fathom 2.

Luc
10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Raise the front casting platform so it's level with the bottom of the gunnels.

Would give a heap more storage space.

Luc

GBC
11-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I need one of those glove box thingy's for the car-topper.... I got caught out the the blow on the week-end and the smokes got wet - pi$$ed off I can tell you.

The signature I'd take back to get the gel coat touched up in a couple of places and the maintenance free trailer I ordered in my dreams.

The canoe is missing the gyroscopic anti tip mechanism.......

bootyinblue
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
That when the motor is in the straight ahead postion, the steering wheel is up the right way.........

Its the little things than please me!!

blaze
12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I cant blame any one but my self for any downfalls on my boat, so for me. Make it 20 foot longer and about 2 foot beamier then take the outboard off and swap it for a couple of inboard deisels that will cruise at 22knts on the smell of an oilly rag.
cheers
blaze