PDA

View Full Version : Why are there not more Walk-Through Cabins

seabug
31-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I have been looking for a walk-through cabin design for ages,so when we knew that we were going to Tassie I PM'd snelly1971 to see if I could call and have a look at his.

While the design may not suit everyone I am surprised that the main manufacturers do not build some boats like this in their range.

I think it is the ideal fishing machine
It allows for easy handling of anchoring and tying up to piers etc.
And it utilises the full boat for fishing.
With some of the modern pleasure boats the fishing area is often less than a car top tinny.
One or two can fish at the bow ,instead of all crowding around the back of the boat.
While a lot of buyers buy a boat with bunks it is only a very small percentage actually spend a night on the water.
I was lucky that it rained where Mick had been working as he invited me to join him and his mate Steve for a run out through Hell's Gates.
I will report that trip on Reports Offshore.
Regards
seabug

nigelr
31-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice boat, Seabug, any specs on her?
Also, who built her, or was she an owner-built job?
Cheers.

seabug
31-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi nigelr
Yeah,I reckon Mick was lucky to find it.
Mick bought it s/hand from a guy in Southport.
The boat also has a door that lifts out on the Starboard side ,would be good for diving etc.

The boat is a Tri-Star ,built in Hobart.
The cabin is aftermarket,put on by the previous owner.

The boat is about 20 ft. in length.
Floor is one level all the way through.

The centre window is connected to gas struts,and holds up very well.

Sure beats me why there are not more like it.

Something similiar would sure fill my wishlist,now all I need is the cash.

Regards
seabug

FNQCairns
31-03-2007, 08:47 PM
It really is very nice, I have future plans for my boat which is about the same size and thought a typical walkaround would be the go. I think I like that boats setup better is it gunnel to gunnel either side? and glass?

cheers fnq

oops just noticed in the pic, is that a full weld down the side of the hull.

seabug
31-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi FNQCairns,
Yes ,it is a full width cabin.
I think the windows are glass.(PM snelly1971 if you want to make sure)
While the walk-arounds have a definate advantage if you are catching sharks etc,they do take up a lot of the room in the boat.
And the seats are usually very close together.

Regards
seabug

Shanoss
31-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Can i ask what all the spotlights are for?

seabug
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi Shanoss,
I did not ask Mick that question.
It could have something to do with the size of the entrance to the harbour(Hells Gate.)
It would also be helpfull in picking up beacons etc,
And lighting up tinnies with no lights.

I could have done with those lights once on the Glenelg River at Nelson,SA.
I come down the river with running lights only ,turned a bend and straight in among a dozen Mulloway fishermen fishing in total darkness.>:(

Regards
seabug

snelly1971
02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi Shanoss the lights are for our night time fishing...sharking ...craying...ect and they are very handy when coming in to berth at our ramps which have no lights....and yep FNQ that is a full weld down the side,,,had another console / dash fitted to the boat....was not happy about the end product (weld) but oh well it is just a work/fun boat...Cheers Mick