jtpython
07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Some nice mixed bag mate
Got to love them trout
JT

ronnien
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
560haines,

(keeper reef t"ville?) if so.... one thing is that keeper always has solid trout on it!
nice catch mate.

ron.

Scott nthQld
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh! Ron, don't tell everyone, next calm day, that's where we're headed.

Good fish there 560, should've turned that trevally into more trout or nannygai

Nic
08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Those are some nice trout, well done! How did you cook them?

ronnien
08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Those are some nice trout, well done! How did you cook them?

usually in a frypan;)

ron.

Nic
09-08-2008, 02:17 PM
usually in a frypan;)
ron.

Ah, so not in a deep fryer or in the oven then. :) We crumb and deep fry a lot of our fish but I am reluctant to do that with trout, seeing as they have such a delicate flavour. Best eating fish in the ocean, I reckon!

Scott nthQld
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah nic, just crumb and shallow fry, don't over cook. You really need to cover the flesh with something such as bread crumbs or cook fillets in foil, with butter, pepper, lemon and dill in foil on the BBQ or oven, the flesh is very soft and flaky so something needs to hold it all together. delicious white, sweet flesh, with a very delicate 'fishy' flavour. Most times without knowing that you caught and filleted it yourself you'd swear you weren't eating fish.

not a lot of additional seasoning needs to be added, the taste great on their own.

If you get onto a big enough one, cut the cheeks out (if you can, a spoon, with a grounded sharp edge would be perfect for doing this), squeeze a bit of lemon juice over them, a small knob of butter on top (real butter, not that other crap), salt pepper, and microwave for a couple of minutes beautiful, and makes the most of the whole fish with minimal wasteage, the best part of the fish, and don't forget the wings, slw roast them in the oven with a bit of lemon and butter (or just on their own with a bit of oil brushed over a rack or in the bottom of the tray to stop them sticking). You'll never eat nannygai again (well, you will, but trout is just so much better)

Well, as you can tell, not much of a trout is wasted in my house, and the frames are put to good use in a crab pot or in berley, which is hopefully turned into more tasty morsels, the best bait for trout is trout itself, but I can never bring myself to waste one, a few months back, in the paper there was a report of a bloke catching a legal trout of 38cm, pinning it on a couple of hooks and sending it to the bottom to pull up a 24kg monster truck of a trout.