PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Mate Ben

Frank OO
30-03-2007, 05:22 PM
It was just one of those days when the weather was predicted to be just right. Be had asked me to take his mate from Melbourne fishing. I hate taking them fishing because then they all want to move up here. Anyhow I was forced into it.

It also appeared that two of the guys that came to 1770 with me didn’t have their arms stretched enough. So away we went with four in the boat through some of the most miserable weather I have been in. 20-25 knots from the north west through spitfire banks.

After 2 hours of motoring we reached “nowhere” and the knives went over the side. Ron immediately caught a good one , George gave up his lure and Ben Crapped himself when his rod took off. He gave his lure away as well.

Hmmmm! The AJ had stopped fighting and it was obvious that someone else wanted part of the action. A ten Kg head came to the surface.

Ben had decided to stick to the smaller fish and brought up two Bonito and a Mac Tuna. Finally he worked up the courage to catch a small AJ for starters. Then a Medium sized and Finally Big Mumma!!!

After losing about five Knife jigs George decided to catch them using Plastics. Pity he didn’t use a bigger rod. A great fight and George had his quarry.

Three good snapper also came on board ranging from 4-7kg.

The wind died at about 11:00 am but we weren’t sticking around to wait for the southerlies.

Eric, The new Pansy Stick does bend after all. What a weapon!!!!

Frank OO

kingtin
30-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Another good report Frank. I gather from the success that we may be in for a few more interstate migrants? ;D

kev

eotbmg
30-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Seven kilos on the snapper sound good. Mate i appreciate you taking Ben out even when the weather had turned t the crapper. He is already whinging about the sore arms!!!!!!!!
Cheers mate
The other Ben

Frank OO
30-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi Kev,

Yes we have had a few come up for a fishing charter.

Hi Ben (The First One) Bloody Victorian wingers. I loved it when the fourth on latched onto his rod and he said" Oh no! Not another one"

Frank OO

indy
30-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Well done frank and crew, show us the snapper never get sick of seeing them.

cheers pete....

BLOOEY
30-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Bloody hell FRANK OO you know where the big ones are mate.Your putting the rest of us to shame.Nice fish by the way,like the sounds of those big Knobbies.

murf
30-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Ah Frank OO

Youve done it again :)

top class fish

Cheers Murf

Frank OO
30-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi Indy,

If I show you some of the big Snapper they might look like this.

Frank OO

Scalem
30-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Geez what an ugly head!!!::) ::)

Well done for pushing your way through rough conditions, Nowhere does it again and again. The DVD I just finished watching is Tom Cruise's M:I:111 and for some reason I see someone putting a "Tracer" on your boat so they can find out exactly where "Nowhere" is. Am I still in the grips of the movie, or are there enough jealous onlookers to consider it??;D ;D Thanks for sharing your trips with us Frank!

Scalem

Big_Ren
31-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Ahhh ya killin us Frank.

Why don't you do some work on a Friday like the rest of us (hey Ben ((original Ben))..). Mate, Nowhere is now Somewhere....and I thought those grandpops from 1770 couldn't go offshore cause of their wheelchairs;D

Those Nuclear Chiccckkkkeeeennnnsss are appearing on so many of your posts that I now consider them SPAM......help us out here Steve and ban the Chicken.

Cheers
Paul

snapperm8
31-03-2007, 07:29 AM
geeze i was gonna say if thats wat 20-25 knots is to u i would like to see ur 5-10 knots. But i guess the winds must of dropped of.

cheers dave

Adamy
31-03-2007, 12:51 PM
You're a brave man Frank... Outsiderskip and I were out off the banks yesterday - it was rough as guts and too much for me - dont know how you could fish - we could barely stand up!! My guts are still sore today from the chucking!! So much for seabreeze predictions::)

Glad to see you got on them yet again - we found them too - but they had their mouth sealed shut - had one tentative hit on the jig and nothing on placcies - have to upgrade to the 7and 8 inch nuc chick - cause they didnt want the 5's.

Thanks for the tease mate!!;D

Adam

death_ship
31-03-2007, 05:09 PM
hey frank what leader and line class do you run for those big boys?

Poodroo
31-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Well I finally picked up the courage to read this thread. What a tease indeed! Well done guys. You obviously had a great day where the fishing was concerned. Looking VERY forward to my next trip out. From now on I am going to hold you personally responsible for the future immigration of Victorians to Queensland Frank. :P

Regards,

Poodroo

Frank OO
01-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Snapperm8,

geeze i was gonna say if thats wat 20-25 knots is to u i would like to see ur 5-10 knots. But i guess the winds must of dropped of.

The main reason I put a post on is to share information so others know what is biting and where. You have the option to either believe me or not. I include a few photos as proof of the catch. Photographs never show the actual conditions. I am not sure why but that is the way it goes. Having said that, I did mention the following.
The wind died at about 11:00 am but we weren’t sticking around to wait for the southerlies.

Her is a photo of 5 knots

Frank OO

Frank OO
01-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Paul,

The idea is to get the GrandPops out there before they get the wheelchairs.

We need to enjoy the fun while we can.. You had better come along pretty quickly Paul because you must be getting close to 60.

Frank OO

Frank OO
01-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi Adamy,

I had made the decision to turn back but the guys were still keen evem though I had two sickies on board. ( One of them was me).

We didn't get out there until about 07:30 am and the wind was coming from the west, so we were hoping that we were out far enough to miss the effects of the land breeze.

By 11:00am the wind had dropped to about 10 Knots and really pleasent.

I think it is about time that I went back to the "Banks".

Frank OO

Frank OO
01-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi death_ship,

The short answer is 60lbs when we are using plastics but 120lbs when using Knife Jigs.

We have found that if you lock the drag the AJs seem to snap al of our leaders but if you losen the drag you have a good chance of getting them in, as long as the sharks don't get them first.

The AJs don't have teeth.

Hope it helps

Frank OO

Tambo01
02-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Hey Dad,

hope the weather holds up as I am not working again this weekend - so my spot on the boat is taken already - but you already know that......

Tambo

Liberty
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Nice fish Frank! Some serious line straighteners there ...

Now are you going to 'fess up to the location of "nowhere" or I am going to have to track you out on radar?

;-)

Congrats
Nigel

Frank OO
02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Nigel,

You are most welcome to join us anytime. Everyone else hasbut I can't guarantee that you will catch fish. We are in 60 Meters just a bit to the left of where you are.

That Radar is a real threat to the security of all GPS secrets isn't it. You can just find the boat and watch its movements and simply plot the coordinates.

One day I will have to invest in a RADAR. I can simply watch the screen from home. Take a note of what boat is doing what at night time and "Hey Presto"

Call me when you want to go.

Frank OO

Frank OO

death_ship
02-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks Frank
hope someone holds your ankles when you lock up on 120! And i guess you dont need a leader if they dont have teeth. I am guessing your in the caloundra wide area?

Frank OO
02-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Death_Ship,

I know what you are talking about when you lock up. I am flat out holding the rod at the best of times.

The only reason for the leader is because the fish scrapes you over the rubble. Most often than not they seem to snap you off at either the Braid knot or at the hook.

Don't ask me whay they don't do the same on Plastics, but if you are prepared to chase them on plastics, you will most likely get them up or at least part of them.

Yes we are in the middle of Caloundra Wide North of Hutchies.

Frank OO

Liberty
02-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Nigel,

You are most welcome to join us anytime. Everyone else hasbut I can't guarantee that you will catch fish. We are in 60 Meters just a bit to the left of where you are.

That Radar is a real threat to the security of all GPS secrets isn't it. You can just find the boat and watch its movements and simply plot the coordinates.

One day I will have to invest in a RADAR. I can simply watch the screen from home. Take a note of what boat is doing what at night time and "Hey Presto"

Call me when you want to go.

Frank OO

Frank OO

Hey Frank,

>> You are most welcome to join us anytime.

That sounds like a Date. Thanks!

>> That Radar is a real threat to the security of all GPS secrets isn't it. You can just find the boat and watch its movements and simply plot the coordinates.

Yeah sounds great, until you realise that means staring at a screen for hours in 2m seas ...