PDA

View Full Version : Class Licences

seatime
30-03-2007, 08:16 AM
G'day Ausfishers

Do you think a Class Licence should be introduced for recreational boating?

Either a max power rating, or a LOA limit.

Something like 10-12m limit similar to the 12m limit for a commercial coxswains ticket.
Or a max HP rating for outboards, or a combination of power and length limits?

Interested in your opinions.

regards

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 08:39 AM
First we need to creat an electrical appliance limit for home use, those 2300watt jaffle irons and George foremans get pretty hot pretty fast, they could be limited to say 1600watt or introduce a wattage class limit!

Really hope there is not rumblings by those that must control everything (because they can get a way with it), anything to do with an accident on sydney harbour - Australia the kneejerk capital of the world!

cheers fnq

Flex
30-03-2007, 08:50 AM
My parents live on a boat in manly marina in brisbane. After seeing the amount of dills who try and maneuver 60f cruise boats into berth I think there should be a licence for boats over a certain size. Often the large boats you see cruising around are driven by retirees (they are the ones that can afford em:) and alot of em dont have a great deal of experience driving large boats around(not all but alot)

I have seen many accidents.Marine fingers smashed into, neighbours boats dinted. dories hanging off the back of boats crushed by other boats smacking into em. Not 4 days ago a storage box on the finger my parents boat is on was smashed to bits by a boat coming in to fast. There was also a case of a woman breaking a pelvis when jumping off to tie a mid line off, her husband came in too fast with the boat and too close to the pylon and the woman got crushed between it and the boat.

Its one thing to drive a 5m tinny, its another to drive a 60f cruise boat. Only 18 months ago you didn't need a license at all to drive a 60f boat if it wasn't a planing hull.

Chimo
30-03-2007, 09:01 AM
You forgot multiple engines and what about length of rig being towed on the road, maybe boaters should also get Australian Heavy Truck / Heavy Bus licence to operate on the roads too. Oh and what about a mechanics and auto elect ticket too in case soething goes wrong along the way. Oops nearly forgot need brake and hydraulics ticket too.

As the footer to my posts states, as well as smarts what about some common sense too; as a GOM, I know I'm going to get really smart one day, probably a little while before I start to push up daiseys (seaweed).

In the mean time we need to apply some more commen sense to the way we operate boats cars etc and we surely have enough regs and rules and licences that from what I can see have not made things a lot better, just collected fees and employed some clerks.

Have a nice day!

Cheers

Chimo

seatime
30-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Discussions on a class licence for Qld waters has been underway for a while. It won't be any knee-jerk reaction to fatal accidents in NSW.
A limit on length is more likely than a max power limit.

good to hear the varied opinions
safe boating
Steve

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Gelsec that's a shame, if discussions are underway it is now a fore-gone conclusion if history has any merit, more rules which end result is to degrade us all a just little bit more, some rules are very good, some and esp when compounded amount to nothing more justified than social engineering.

I think the most dangerous people on the water are the cashed up big rec boaters but with a wide brush a person can tar all easily, it's a blight to tar those cashed up who have not yet behaved or WILL NOT behave in an incompetent way but that's the beurocratic way - to take another slice of liberty from all instead of using the law as it was designed, dealing with those that step outside.

The battle for the future is not the environment it's getting back to the respect all of these laws have taken away, we as a nation are scared to pick up a hitchiker today not because of a magical transformation in manor after being squeezed from the loin, all people reflect back what the authority tells them they are through regulation.

Wholesale salughter on the big sea/sweat water!!!!!!..... I missed it.

cheers fnq

Kerry
30-03-2007, 10:39 AM
There does need to be some distinction as there is quite a difference between a 14 foot tinnie and a 40 foot cruiser (and beyond) yet the same licence serves both. One wouldn't like to see someone only licenced for the family car get behind the wheel of a B-Double would they but this is the situation on the water.

Dicko
30-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I've always laughed at that loop hole about no licence req'd for low speed boats. I rented a 40ft houseboat a few yrs ago. With twin 40's it was woefully underpowerd to keep it in the no licence catergory. Being a big muther & 2 decks tall with closed in sides it was also a mammoth collecting point for a 25kn breeze, ;D.

It was a damn site trickier to drive than any 'regular' sized boat.

tigermullet
30-03-2007, 02:43 PM
No I would not like to see a class licence. It just adds more regulation and a large boat is not that much more difficult to handle. Collision rules etc., which are covered by licensing are the most important part.

Handling a larger boat generally means that the operator must cope with extra windage and that they take a little longer to come to a stop. Most large boat owners learn pretty quickly. After all who would want to cause damage to their pride and joy? - even if it is a gin palace.

There is also much enjoyment in watching hire houseboats skippers climb a steep learning curve on windy days.;D

To be kind, some of those very large houseboats are difficult to control even with adequate power.

Brumby
30-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I find it difficult to believe that anyone would welcome more interference from the authorities. The law is a pretty blunt instrument and no amount of licensing is suddenly going to transform a dill into a competent boatie. He may be able to demonstrate on one day that he can follow instructions from a trainer, but that doesn't mean he will be any better the next time he comes to dock by himself.

PinHead
30-03-2007, 05:22 PM
that damn berthing can be a real bitch at times.

Brumby
30-03-2007, 05:36 PM
that damn berthing can be a real bitch at times.

Too right, I recently traded up from a 16 footer to 24 on a wet berth and find I'm not too good on the light banter when there's some tight manouvering to be done. I'd hate to think what a bigger boat like yours must be like in a bit of a breeze.

BilgeBoy
30-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Give two people a butter knife. One will butter bread, one will stab someone. It's not what it is or how big it is...It's how you use it!!

I would rather an Anti Wally policy!!!

BilgeBoy

dogsbody
31-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Gday Steve

Yes i think there should be. If your going to do a license course you may as well do one that is suited to the vessel your driving about.

If you vessel is big enough to berth you should have to do a course to be shown how to do it and not put peoples property at risk of damage. That's just a pain in the arse for everyone to get fixed.

Dave.

stark
31-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Not quite sure what a licence proves. I've had 44' boats in the past and never had a problem except when dealing with the once a year operators mooring in harbour during Easter etc.

Experience counts for everything. Most of the problems with the big boats is lack of experience and lack of use. A special class of licence won't fix that problem.

I have a 4.1M rainwater tank (polycraft) now and I just steer clear of the big uns

Cheers
John

seatime
31-03-2007, 07:27 PM
as you say stark, experience counts for everything, a 10m licence would be obtainable after experience has been gained on smaller vessels.
those once a year operators wouldn't be able to purchase 10m+ boats as their first boat, if they want the big boat they'll need to gain the necessary experience and skills to operate it.
the bigger the boat the more damage that can be done, and more passengers at risk.

Kerry
31-03-2007, 07:44 PM
It would appear the general thinking here is much along the age old discussion regardling the the simple need to be deemed competent to operate a VHF radio.

Competency is one of those things that when/if the sh$t hits the fan and the other sides insurance company is breathing down your neck for compensation for damage or the like then at least having been deemed competent then it is at least one thing in our favour.

This ever resounding "she'll be right, we know boats" attitude is probably something that is in the past, times have changed and times are probably going to change even worse.

Regards, Kerry.

PinHead
01-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Gday Steve

Yes i think there should be. If your going to do a license course you may as well do one that is suited to the vessel your driving about.

If you vessel is big enough to berth you should have to do a course to be shown how to do it and not put peoples property at risk of damage. That's just a pain in the arse for everyone to get fixed.

Dave.

no course can prepare for every occassion..wind and tide different every time...just adds to the fun.

FNQCairns
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Trouble with good ideas, is there are none that are not! Get a specific group of people together and even the most abhorent idea will reach consensus BTW I don't believe this idea is abhorent just typical of today.

cheers fnq