PDA

View Full Version : New Spearfish 15

Edencraft
29-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I am building a new Spearfish 15 at home, being a boat builder and not being able to find the boat that I wanted commercially I decided to build one myself. Luckly Ron Cambell (Bullet Boats) helped out with the moulds. The boat has been layed up in all viynalester resin using both chopped strand mat and triaxial cloth. The hull sides have been cored with 5mm divinicell. There is a 130ltr internal fuel tank built from viynalester and epoxy. The hull has a complete matrix stringer grid and the floor slopes 2" from bow to stern. I have attached a picture of the hull prior to all the underfloor areas being flow coated and the floor fitted.

I have allready fitted the floor and will be glassing it in this weekend. I should also get the pod and centre console finished and fitted. I will post some picks up over the next few days. The boat is being built as a mini game boat capable of fishing offshore in reasonable weather and also throughout the Broadwater for jews and sharks when the weather is a bit iffy. Engine is a 90hp Mercury 2-stroke, electronics are dual optima batteries, BEEPS dual battery controller, BEEPS battery isolators, GME 400hz EPIRB, Furuno sounder, Navman GPS/Plotter, icom vhf, gme cd/radio/speakers, navman fuel flow sencor, internal deck lighting, forward and aft flood lights etc. I am also having a custom stainless t-top built for the centre console with plates for relax outriggers, all rod holders are also heavy duty relax items.

Owen
29-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds like you have a pretty clear picture of what you want in a boat.

I take it the two tubes are balast tubes?
If so, what's the reasoning behind having the right angle fittings at the bow end?

Edencraft
30-03-2007, 02:49 PM
One of the tubes under the floor is for running the fuel line to the engine as the fuel tank is under and forward of the centre console and the other tube is for running electric cables from the engine to the dual batteries. I was the production manager at Haines Hunter and worked for ######### for a while and now am at Riviera so have built a boat or two and really couldn't find what I wanted on the market plus it's a heap cheap to DIY.

SgBFish
30-03-2007, 03:01 PM
#########.
Why didn't you just take the Mustang 1600 Tornament you make each day at Riviera and modify it.
Scott

bay_firey
30-03-2007, 03:45 PM
#########

sounds like it is going to be a top rig
Keep the pics coming

Edencraft
30-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Sorry but we don't make any Mustangs at Riviera? When for a run in the new 60ft Fly Bridge the other day and it would fit my needs perfectly the only problem is I don't have enough money to fill it with fuel let alone buy one:D

Edencraft
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Glassed the floor in yesterday.

Edencraft
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Deck, pod and centre console close to being ready.

FNQCairns
01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
######### thats pretty trick work for at home? I have done a few hours of glassing and have got to ask "do you own a chopper gun?" from my experience what you have attempted would be too unbearable to contemplate!!! It all looks really good.

cheers fnq

Ninja
01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Very nice mate......mine is still in the shop but he has till tuesday to get it right>:( . Thanks for all your advice. If....and hopefully...IF....something else goes wrong again I'll see if you can have a look at it for your opinion. By the rate you're going....yours will be floating before mine::) . If not....I still owe you a trip;) .

Cheers, Ninja

Edencraft
01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey Ninga hope your boats out soon and fixed right. If its not than as I said bring it around and we will get it done in no time. FNQ Cairns no chopper gun all bucket and brush hand lay. At Riviera I run the new RTM and vacume infusion closed moulding shop so going back to hand lay has reminded me how much I like closed moulding. Not a big job though as I have seen the boys at Sunseeker in the UK hand lay a 80ft hull all bucket and brush about 40 of them, the longest resin bucket line I have ever seen.

I got the deck on the hull today as well as glassed the flange on the pod and trimmed it. Finished up the bowsprit ready for it to be bonded and bolted in place. I should get the pod bolted and bonded over easter as well as the deck on and bonded to hull and the centre console completed ready to be bonded. I am putting an insulated box under the seat at the front of the console. All in all had a product day on the boat would have got more done but had to work Saturday.>:(

SgBFish
02-04-2007, 10:17 AM
You'll be on the water for Easter at this rate.
Looks great.
Be careful, backyards is where most big businesses start.
Scott

Edencraft
02-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I was thinking of building a mould for a 17ft centre console mini game boat but to build the finished boat using the best materials such as vinynalester resin, all 316 stainless hardware, divinicell core for sides, vacume infused hull, deck and internal liner etc etc it would probably cost a fair bit more than your normal production or imported boat of the same size.

Most people really don't know the difference between a poor, average and well built boat and are more concerned about the bling bling than how well the boat is built.

I have attached a couple of pics of the boat after trial fitting the deck. And a picture of the fuel breather, fuel filler and bolts to be used to fit the pod, all are 316 stainless. This is where the production builders scrimp and supply fittings of 304 stainless which will rust and leave unsightly staines or they supply super cheap plastic fittings.

pilchardjones
03-04-2007, 08:38 AM
great thread #########. please keep the photos coming - its looking great.
steve

Edencraft
23-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Have been to busy at work to get much done to the boat lately however got some work done this weekend, attached the pod and bowsprit, finished front bulkhead, fitted access door to console. I think I will join the hull and deck tonight.

BM
23-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Nice to see the pod mounted close to the bottom of the hull. :)

just_cruisin
23-04-2007, 11:40 AM
#########, please tell me u used a roller, not a brush to wet out the glass. I totally hear what u are saying about the materials/constructrion vs bling factor, unfortunately reality.
Pocket sportfisher, i like it!!!

just_cruisin
23-04-2007, 11:40 AM
what the hell are these ######'s

Blackened
23-04-2007, 12:00 PM

G'day

I dare say they are the website filters. You must have been trying to spell
e d e n c r a f t ?

Dave

frankgrimes
23-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Looks like the auto-filter doesn't like "E_d_e_n_c_r_a_f_t".....much like when someone types "a_m_a_r_t"

Edencraft
23-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeh I used a wetout roller, roller, check roller and brush to do the laminating would have been nice to vacume infuse it but the hull and deck mould have hardly any flange.

ffejsmada
23-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I built a 12' sailing dinghy a while back, I know how much work went into that.

To build something like you're doing is a huge effort.

Looks great, can't wait to see the end product.

Good on ya mate!!!!

sid_fishes
23-04-2007, 05:40 PM
i was at a mates shed in boat park at labrador the other day when someone drove in and asked where e-d-e-n-c-r-a-f-t were, so mate tell me so we know where to send them, pm me if thats ok cheers ian

Edencraft
23-04-2007, 08:35 PM
######### is the next driveway east on Brisbane Road shed 10/ 215 Brisbane Rd

philh
24-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi E_D_E_N_C_R_A_F_T

Takes a bit of getting used to so things don't get edited out.

I bought one of thes hulls off a guy like you (not saying that it is you). The mould came from the same manufacturer though.

Apparently the guy i bought it from didn't pay his bills so warranty was void (from the same so called manufacturer) even though it was 6 months old.

I have several mates who were on the boat when fuel spilled out of the crappy designed tank (who would love to see the guy on the gold coast who built the boat)

they were also pissed when it pissed out again after being fixed.

If you know the guy who sold the rig (assuming it is not you) and put people at peril then PM me as I would like to stick a 6.2m stabicraft right up their ASS along with a dozen other people.

One concern of mine is that the pics you have posted look very similar to the backyard of the guy I bought my previous boat from. that would make you the person that people are looking for. Maybe I am mistaken.

Given past experience, I wouldn't touch a hull that was even close to the designer that is mentioned on the gold coast.

If anyone would like further detail please PM me.

philh
24-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Mr E__den__craft

just to put my mid at rest that you weren't the crook that perpetrated the fuel debacle, would you like to post a pic of yourself before I drag your name through the mud. I wouldn't want to defame the wrong person.

Spearfish....unstable.......unseaworthy.......leak s fuel........got screwed.

Ninja
25-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Philh...i read your post with interest as I also have a spearfish and also have had mine returned to the builder 3 times because of leaking petrol. From my opinion...EDENCRAFTT, as know on here, is not your man as all I have gotten from him so far was advice on how to fix the original builders problems. He even predicted some of the problems I encountered before I told him about it. PM sent.

Mtx
25-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I was on the voyage with philh when his POS started leaking fuel. We headed back to ramp straight away. After being back at the dodgey bugger on the coast, it was sent back with a plastic fuel tank on top of the deck so the boat could be used. Guess what.. even the plastic fuel tank had a leak in it. After numerous attempts, PhilH gave up on the boat and the manufacturer who quite frankly screwed him over.

I for one would NEVER look at a spearfish boat due to the extreme poor quality of build and the even poorer after sales service.

Edencraft
25-04-2007, 05:51 PM
High philh, sorry mate but i'm not your man send me a pm with your email address and I will post you a picture I will even give you my address and phone number and your more than happy to come over and have a look at both me and the boat. There is nothing wrong with the hull shape it is just the way they are built. When they have built the fuel tank they bond the floor straight over the tank, there is no support for the floor other than the quite flexible top to the fuel tank.

After time the flexing floor will crack the fuel tank. There is a fix but it is not easy, you need to tear the floor up, build a full timber grid stringer system which is glassed in, runn two logitudal stringers the length of the boat that go from 2" above the tank at the bow to level with the transvers stringers at the stern. Find the crack in the tank and repair with viynalester resin, now cut and glass in an entire new floor this is the only way to really fix the problem.

This is the first and only Spearfish I have ever built, hope you catch up with the person you are after.

Edencraft
25-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the support Ninja, I have no idea who the built the boat the they are talking about except I know it wasn't me. Have you got your boat back yet.

Ninja
25-04-2007, 09:21 PM
NO..>:( ....::)

Edencraft
26-04-2007, 05:24 AM
He must have had that boat for 6 months now what the hell is he doing you could build the queen mary faster than his repairing a 17ft glass boat.

bastard
26-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Mr E__den__craft

just to put my mid at rest that you weren't the crook that perpetrated the fuel debacle, would you like to post a pic of yourself before I drag your name through the mud. I wouldn't want to defame the wrong person.

Spearfish....unstable.......unseaworthy.......leak s fuel........got screwed.How long ago did this happen,they were being made up here in brisbane for a while to,Ive seen so many people build boats and flop moulds,the only way to be safe with a boat purchase is build it yourself or stick with the big names.Its a pitty this happened mate but this is not uncommon.

Edencraft
27-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Philp

I pm'd you a couple of days ago and am still waiting for you to post up saying I am not the person who built the boat you where talking about.

Cloud_9
29-04-2007, 10:36 AM
when are people going to get smart.
fiberglass tanks DON'T LAST....
they've been makeing them since the early 70's and they all end up the same way.
CRACKED and LEAKING.
the weak link is the last side to the tank cos they flow coat the inside to seal the glass its the attaching the the last side with probond and glass or epoxy or what ever you want to use its all the same.
you need to learn from everybody else's lesson.
GLASS TANKS ARE CRAP.
a properly installed ally tank will last as long as the boat.

there's a guy with spear fish that also spilt dew to too light a lay up
guy from spearfish use SIKAFLEX to repair it.
not very professional.
Chears cloud 9

PinHead
29-04-2007, 11:58 AM
How long ago did this happen,they were being made up here in brisbane for a while to,Ive seen so many people build boats and flop moulds,the only way to be safe with a boat purchase is build it yourself or stick with the big names.Its a pitty this happened mate but this is not uncommon.

and some of the big names are certainly well over priced..esp that R one.

Edencraft
30-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Sorry have to disagree with you cloud 9 about glass tanks being bad, every Riviera, Hatteras, Blackwatch, etc etc over 28ft has a glass tank, just has to be built right. The ones I have seen from Ron's factory the top pf the tank is way to light needs about 1600g more glass. To make matters worse they then bond the floor straight to the top of the tank this is very poor practise, only a matter of time till it cracks. Fortunatly mines not built like that.

Edencraft
30-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Ninga

What's going on with your boat? I am going down to Ron's today so will have a look around.

Todd

Kristo
08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I to have a 21ft spearfish with a leaking fiberglass fuel tank,was wondering if anyone knows if the fuel tank goes under the center cab,and whats involved in replacing it with a stainless steel tank

ashleyhj74
08-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Kristo. The tank in my 21 is stainless, and i know it runs right up to the base of the console, and back to just before the kill tank. As i recall when i had the carpet out to clean it when i bought it, there was a inspection hatch, thats about it.

Edencraft
15-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Thought I would post a couple more pics of the boat. I have finally joined the hull and deck, installed the console and live bait tank. At the moment am building the electrics box with dual battery issolators, voltage sensitive relay, blade fuse box etc etc that will be mounted in the console. Hopfully will finish the insulated esky in the front of the console and fit the gunhale rubber this weekend. All that needs to be done after that is install the stainless bowrail, console screen and rig the engine and all the electronics and it should be good for first run.

Todd

myusernam
07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
when are people going to get smart.
fiberglass tanks DON'T LAST....
they've been makeing them since the early 70's and they all end up the same way.
CRACKED and LEAKING.
the weak link is the last side to the tank cos they flow coat the inside to seal the glass its the attaching the the last side with probond and glass or epoxy or what ever you want to use its all the same.
you need to learn from everybody else's lesson.
GLASS TANKS ARE CRAP.
a properly installed ally tank will last as long as the boat.

what utter billshxt.
Glass tanks are great. If done properly they are the only thing that will last. Just because someone hsan't used the material correctly doesnt mean it doesn't work

myusernam
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
High philh, sorry mate but i'm not your man send me a pm with your email address and I will post you a picture I will even give you my address and phone number and your more than happy to come over and have a look at both me and the boat. There is nothing wrong with the hull shape it is just the way they are built. When they have built the fuel tank they bond the floor straight over the tank, there is no support for the floor other than the quite flexible top to the fuel tank.

After time the flexing floor will crack the fuel tank. There is a fix but it is not easy, you need to tear the floor up, build a full timber grid stringer system which is glassed in, runn two logitudal stringers the length of the boat that go from 2" above the tank at the bow to level with the transvers stringers at the stern. Find the crack in the tank and repair with viynalester resin, now cut and glass in an entire new floor this is the only way to really fix the problem.

This is the first and only Spearfish I have ever built, hope you catch up with the person you are after.

WTF? you shouldn't have to do anything! as you stated in your original post you got the moulds of the bloke that owns them to build yourself a hull. Why should you have to provide a picture of yourself etc etc. For some strange bloke to come at you just because you are using a mould of a boat that has been built poorly in the past BS I would have told him to jam it

And phill just because your boat is a POS has nothing to do with the mould or the hullshape. Just the internal build.