PDA

View Full Version : Buying an interstate boat

mako101
29-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I just bought a Seafarer V Sea from down south with NSW rego and wondering what I will have to do to switch boat and trailer to QLD registration.
Can I use the boat for a while in Qld with the NSW rego in my name?.

peterbo3
29-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Mako,
There will be no dramas registering the boat up here. The boat & trailer will be over 750 kg so you will need trailer brakes. The Safety certificate will possibly cause you grief if the tlr needs work to comply with Qld standards. Check with Qld Transport for the fine print.

Kleyny
29-03-2007, 08:59 PM
its easy all you need to do is get a Safety certificate if the trailer is over 750kgs as already stated.
Safety certificate they will check things like lights, condition of frame, how much brake lining left (need to more than .8mm), spring condition, and whether the brakes work, brake adjustment, bearing condition, tyre tread depth 1.5mm over the whole tread, guards.
thats about it off the top of my head.

mako101
30-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I am not sure if the trailer has brakes, is the law different between the states regarding brakes?.

marco
30-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I am not sure if the trailer has brakes, is the law different between the states regarding brakes?.

for your reading pleasure ;D

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vib03.pdf

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb4b7608d082cb7/Safe_towing_information.pdf

if you need to know more just use the search engine on these sites , everything you need is in there

litenup
30-03-2007, 08:56 AM
You may find previous owner either removed them or just didn't bother with brakes. There are lots of trailers in Qld that are reg for under 750kg but are actually over. They think it saves them money(reg) and from the law.. wrong. Often the new owner thinks because it registered it is OK, but its not. If found they will have to get a tilt tray to get them home, and then get fixed before can be used. Insurance companies love to find fault so they can say your problem, not ours. Get weighed if in doubt, 750kg includes boat, motor, trailer and petrol and any gear when on road. My guess is you need brakes. Good luck Cheers Pete.