PDA

View Full Version : new rod for ME....

jan
29-03-2007, 02:01 PM
G'day All,
Got today off and batching for the day so thought I'd make myself up a rod. I don't need one but thought bugger it you can never have too many toys. Not finished yet but I have done the but wrap so far.
Cheers,
Jan.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0582.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0580.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0581.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0579.jpg

Stuart
29-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Jan

That’s absolutely supurb thread work. It never ceases to amaze me how many talented people are out there, keep up the good work.;)

Stuart

jan
29-03-2007, 05:15 PM
G'day Stuart,
Thanks for kind words. I'm happy with the way it turned out although the thread work isn't that great. The packing has a lot to be desired but I guess one is always more critical of their own work than others.
Cheers,Jan.

Poodroo
29-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Jan you're right. Absolutely horrible thread work. Now can you do mine please? Lol Personally I think you need to pat yourself on the back more. That rod is a real piece of art. Brilliant work!

Poodroo

2DKnBJ
29-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Jan
That looks bloody fantastic.
That is what i hope to learn a bit about at the RBW.
Wouldn't mind doing a rod in those colours and calling it the State of Origin Stick.

Cheers Dazza

Stuart
29-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Jan

I know people that would pay a few hundred dollars for that level of work. If you can do that level of workman ship then you can many other styles as well. If your looking for some work please let me know.

Stu

jan
29-03-2007, 08:22 PM
G'day all,
Thank you for the compliments it means a lot. Poodroo if you get to see it up close there are a lot of gaps I promise,lol. Dazza the threads are madeira polyneon which I had to get in from the states. got 40 spools the other day. 1000m spool works out at AU$6.60 landed at your door step. Great thread to work with and there are 350+ colours to choose from. Stu PM me and I'll see what we can do. Cheers all.
Jan.

samboslayer
29-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Jan

I know people that would pay a few hundred dollars for that level of work. If you can do that level of workman ship then you can many other styles as well. If your looking for some work please let me know.

Stu

Would pay? HAVE PAID! That's awsome Jan!!

Owen
29-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Wow,
That's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Pretty good photography too!

Well done bloke. Take tomorrow off too!

sandyd
30-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Impressive work Jan.

Did that really only take a morning to do?

cheers
Sandy

finga
30-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Crikey begora :o
Nice, real nice :D
:thumbsup:

B_E_N
30-03-2007, 10:40 AM
like all the others great work work, was wondering if there i9s anywhere i could get a diagram of how to make that wrap, i really like the pattern n blending of colours, one of the only wraps i have found that i like

jan
30-03-2007, 01:46 PM
thanks again all,
Ben the best thing I can suggest is to get a copy of visualwrap and a copy of Billy Vivona's book and go from there. it makes life sooo much easier when you can let the computer do all the measuring for you. Once I had laid out the the crossover threads this wrap took me 5 hrs so not that long. Would have taken me a lot longer if I had of packed the threads a lot better.
I read that Dave at visualwrap was going to bring Billy's book in, don't know if he has it yet but try

http://www.visualwrap.com/

There is a wealth of knowledge there and Dave is only too quick to reply to whatever questions you have.
Cheers,
Jan.

roz
30-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Love the pattern Jan,

The colour choice and blend is excellent.

I would love to give it a go. Maybe you should put your name down for the '08 RBW.

One question. What sized blank is best to take that type of pattern?
Also what type of blank and rating is that rod pls?

Great work

roz.

jan
30-03-2007, 03:00 PM
G'day Roz,
The blank is a calstar 210 which I rate for smallish to medium sized kingies,lol. The differencein taper from start to finish of wrap was 2mm. it was from 14-12 so was perfect size for the job. This rod will be going in the April or May edition of "Go Fishing" as I have not done a butt wrap for them yet. The smaller the blank the harder it is to fit in although some blokes I've seen do 16axis(?) wraps on these smaller blanks but I prefer to keep my eyesight thanks. The larger the blank the more passes you have to make and the bigger the scales. If I had a bigger blank to use I would go with a shaded spider pattern or st johns cross variation. Anyway thats just me others would differ obviously. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jan.

roz
30-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm doing two at the moment & they are small light rods. The butt end of the wrap is 2.8cm and the tip end is 2.6, so I don't think that's a huge taper over a 24cm wrap.

What is the circumfrence of the calstar where you began the wrap & how long did you make the wrap? Hope you don't mind the questions.

BTW you're lucky Stu hasn't started picking on you yet.

r.

jan
30-03-2007, 08:56 PM
No Probs Roz,
the lenght of the wrap was about 19cm but I dropped that back to make the trim bands bigger. the length of the actual scale pattern is 15.5cm. butt diameter is 14mm and tip diameter is 12mm. hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jan.