PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Flow Meter for Garmin GPS 292

Splash
28-03-2007, 10:17 PM
HI Team.

I am chasing a fuel flow meter with any associated wiring to read into my Garmin GPS 292 Chartplotter.

Can you help me determine exactly what item I need (brand name and model number)?

And, how to hook up etc..

It needs to perform the following three(3) functions:

1 - Fuel flow rate (L/h)
2 - Fuel remaining (L)
3 - Fuel economy (km/L)

Sort of urgent as well

Thanks

Splash!

mromanis
29-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Splash,
I have been researching which GPS to buy and I have settled on a 292 too.
In all my checking around here and in the US I have not seen any mention of fuel flow meters working with these units. If they did I imagine they would have to interface with the NMEA connection.
By the way how do you find your unit?
Do you have the bluechart card for your area and how do you find that?
Thanks.

Splash
29-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Well done Mromanis.

What made you decide on this unit?

You will find not many on this forum have this unit - most have earlier versions of the Garmin.

This is my very first GPS unit and very happy. The large colour screen with every feature you would ever want and with g2 capability.

User interface is friendly and easy but then most garmin units are...

Make sure you get the g2 card.

You will find none of the so-called Garmin dealers in OZ will be able to help you on anything relating to this unit (software, hardware or intellectual).

Get onto 'TheHullTruth' forum in US - been with them for 2 years - runs rings around this forum..

For sw, hw - import your gear from tigerGPS.com in US.

Good luck mate.

Splash

Splash
29-03-2007, 07:54 PM
It seems a fuel flow meter does not exist for the Garmin 292 that I can link into.

Next step - please give me a few brand names for separate units I can use on it's own...

Splash

mromanis
30-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi Splash,
Lowrance and Navman make affordable fuel flow meters. The Navaman one is very popular and I have not read a bad word about them, unlike their GPS. The guage for both units is an in dash circular digital with various items, I think most cover what you you want. The Navman sensor works with thier GPS units.

Thanks for the feedback on the 292. I have been dealing with J & H marine products <http://www.#############.com/_e/gdept/03/GPS_Chartplotters.htm> and are very happy with their help so far.
I am considering spending a little more and getting the 298 with sounder combo, as it would be good to have a backup sounder in case the Humminbird that came with the boat packs up when I'm tooling around the tidal area in Western Port.
I like the look of the the G2 cards, though I understand the vision component of these cards does not work with these series of GPS. From what I understand from reading in some US forums, there are no immeaditae plans to introduce this feature outside of the chosen areas in North America and selected areas in Europe.

Kerry
30-03-2007, 10:52 AM
FloScan ....

Splash
30-03-2007, 06:17 PM
tHANKS kERRY AND mROMAINS.

Will the Navman fuel flow meter work onit's own without the Navman GPS?

I will alos check out the FloScan

Splsh