PDA

View Full Version : do you or have you

blaze
28-03-2007, 07:27 AM
What a bloody topic, could mean any thing
so this is it
Just reading in the newbie part about land based fisho's, waving to them (freindly like) as you motor past.
Have you ever stopped and offered these guys a spot in the boat for an hour or so, just to brighten up there day.
I have on a few times
One time
You fella doing every thing he could to help me launch my boat one day (12 foot tinnie) Quite comical really, he was about 12, done every thing humanly possible to get in the way but was so eager to help even to the point of being up to his thighs in the water hanging onto the side of the boat while I was on dry land tieing off the bowe rope. Anyway, turns out his gran was up the bank so I didnt fish as such but ended up taking this youngin for a ride for 1/2 hour or so after grans permission.
I have on occassion taking other people for a bit of a quick fish when they have been shored based.
Also, maybe not a safe practice in heavy populated areas with the dcum about these days
cheers
blaze

iank
28-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I also have done it on the odd occasion, altho the people I have offered trips to, I had seen them fishing from the bank a few time before making the offer tho.
Cheers Ian

kingtin
28-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I always had a full boat but now that has changed I'm up for offering, provided that I know who I'm offering it to.

Another side to this though, is always the "cloud" of will I put 'em onto some fish? The last couple of ausfishers that came offshore with me insisted on putting up 50 bucks each towards fuel, which I thought was unnecessary but delightful, in these times of freeloaders. They took no fish home and although weather was the main culprit, I still didn't feel comfortable about the "donation".............If you're reading guys (and where are you lately?).............it's a freebie next time :D

kev

Custaro
28-03-2007, 09:15 AM
i was at wello one day with father-in-law when two scrubber chicks tried desperately to talk there way into coming fishing with us. even if i wasn't with father-in-law there is no way these girls would have got a trip.

i wouldn't take a stranger out in the boat. i am happy to take blokes from work or friends out that would never normally get the opportunity.

Dirtysanchez
28-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Well I was fishing at Nudgee (Nundah Ck) one morning and no one offered me a trip, instead they ran over my trace, and chopped it off, gave me filthy looks and cam so close to me on their way out they would have sent any fish packing for the day !!

On a lighter note, many years ago when I was single and had my half cabin, I was about to launch my boat from a popular ramp in Gosford NSW and a couple of half decent chicks came walking by on their way home from a big night out.. They asked me if I would give them a lift to the other side of the bay, so I did !

No fishing, but it was fun

the gecko
28-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I try and steer clear of fishos on the bank, so I dont tangle their lines or scare thier fish.

If I took another local out, Id have to stay clear of my fav spots that trip. I guess Im a bit of a loner on calm water trips. Its my time out from work, so I need to relax. Ive taken a couple of ausfishers out tho, cos someone did it for me.

Andrew

84mick
28-03-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm one of those guys on the shore wishing for someone to take me out. lol ;P i have always wondered about this and asked myself what would I do in this situation? I guess it would depend on alot of things like do they look like freaks and want to do weird things to me or like a normal friendly person. If I had a boat and did recolonize regulars I would offer a trip.

Cheers, Mick.

davez104
28-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Mick, I would probably take you fishin, but I can tell you, there would be no recolonising going on!! ;) ;) ;)

Dave

disorderly
28-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Mick, I would probably take you fishin, but I can tell you, there would be no recolonising going on!! ;) ;) ;)

Dave

Yeah Dave,

This is rule number one on my boat.

Definatly no recolonising the regulars!

cheers Scott

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 07:34 PM
If I had a boat I probably would but I am one of those mostly landbased fishos hoping Blaze will zoom by and pick him up. :P I agree though about having to be careful. There seems to be more scum about these days.

Poodroo

el_carpo
29-03-2007, 03:35 AM
I have a reverse story of this. I was bank fishing one day when I see this canoe taking a very strange course. The paddlers were making a wide arc in a small bay that I was fishing and they eventually went right through my fishing spot and crashed into the bank DIRECTLY AT MY FEET. They sheepishly looked at me and appologized.

"Um...sorry....we don't know what we're doing," says the guy.

"You don't say," says I.

"Do you know how to paddle a canoe?" they ask me.

"Yes."

"Could you paddle it back to the rental place for us? We'll pay you."

"No. That won't be happening. But I'll teach you how to stear."

I tell them to paddle away from the shore. I kid you not, the girl in the back paddled forward. The guy saw her and corrected her before I had to thankfully. Off they started, both paddling backwards with all their might on the right side of the canoe until they crashed backwards into the bank about 30 feet away. I told them what went wrong and how to avoid it and before long, they were off. They didn't keep a straight course but it wasn't too bad. They next crashed into the bank about about 100 feet away from me.

"O.K. I'm going for a walk, I think."

I found them arguing but not too badly. I instructed them how to straighten their "ship" and soon, they made it under the walk bridge that connects the bay with the larger lake.

"Do you think you can make it back from here?" I called.

"NO!"

"O.K. then. Try to paddle along the bank so you can hear me."

After a nice, relaxing, mile-long walk yelling, "No! YOU paddle on the left now and HE paddles on the right and try to time your strokes better guys! and remember how I told you about using your paddle as a rudder in the back."

They made it back alive and I got some much needed exercise and some laughs and thank-yous.

finga
29-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Only strangers I've had in the tiny tinny come from here.
Mostly excellent people having a great day, some not so good.
The bigger boat mainly goes outside and is usually full of relo's so never even considered it possible.

disorderly
29-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I generally leave before sunup so this scenario is not going to happen unless its prearranged.

I have however taken out (to the reef)some newby's from other countries who have been staying with us under the wwoof program.

It,s pretty cool to put some 20 something year old person (jap,swiss,pommy etc) onto a nice 10-12 kg spanish,15+kg GT and reefies.Particularly when they have never caught anything larger than a pound before.

It can be fun,but it can also be nasty(like if they are spewing there guts up)and even hazardous (had one bloke slip into the water twice at the ramp and jump overboard about 30 ft short of the ramp..oops).

I havent taken anyone lately but would definitely try and screen them better.
Still prefer to fish by myself though.

Cheers Scott

Chezzy13
29-03-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm one of those guys on the shore wishing for someone to take me out. lol ;P i have always wondered about this and asked myself what would I do in this situation? I guess it would depend on alot of things like do they look like freaks and want to do weird things to me or like a normal friendly person. If I had a boat and did recolonize regulars I would offer a trip.

LOL..But true, it would be a hard decision, as much as you would love to take someone you see, most people are genuine i think, so I'd say yea, nice thread this one..:)