PDA

View Full Version : Hoo’s… Late report

DazSamFishing
27-03-2007, 09:45 PM
G’day,

I have been meaning to post another report. Unfortunately, I haven’t had much time, until now. A couple of weeks ago I managed to get out for a troll off Southport.

I took a few work colleagues out so they could experience some good light tackle game fishing.

Wahoo were the target species for the day and I felt pretty sure on the day due to the large numbers being caught on the local and wide reefs.

The weather was great but out wide was pretty ordinary and I sensed that the ‘inexperienced anglers’ would end up being sea sick later in the day, so I set a good spread (flat lining) including a teaser and got the boat up over 12knots.

I trolled along a contour line out on the 36’s and passed a few productive ‘X spots’ on the way.

Within our first kilometer, the reeling started singing ZZZZZ’s and a serious amount of 7kg pre-test was stripped from the Tyrnos. After a blistering run the fish came in without complication and a gaff shot secured a quality Hoo. (12kg).

Another kilometer down the strip…. ZZZZZZZZZZ, which resulted in another fine Hoo (Check out the stripes!)

ZZZZZZZZZZZ signaled number 3 for the day. We had a few more hit and misses, which had me backing off the drag as much as possible to ensure a good grab.

Finally, ZZZZZZZ Again, which resulted in another good fish. By that stage, I was looking into some greenish faces and I made the call for home!

Hopefully I can get out for a fish this weekend… I’ll be sure to post another quick report. (I've also included a pic of the new boat).

Daz

jackson4300
27-03-2007, 10:12 PM
very nice fish, sounds like a great day, well done.

Smithy
28-03-2007, 10:52 AM
7kg Pretest? Platypus make the only pretested lines with the test results hand written on the spool. Most other lines for gamefishing are IGFA rated. Were you using 8kg line or some non-Platypus in 15lb?

Well done on the fish BTW. Might we worth the change to resin head lures, going at 6.5knots, decreasing your fuel consumption, increasing you chance at a Marlin which are still around but not decreasing the amount of Wahoo and other bycatch you will get.

ballsie
28-03-2007, 02:25 PM
nice fish there daz. are you getting any hoo on trolled lures out that way?

Edmo
28-03-2007, 03:36 PM
looks like a top day was had, great gilligan impression with the red shirt and white hat. Gotta love this tme of year. Cheers. new rig looks the goods.

snapperm8
28-03-2007, 04:05 PM
yer looks like a great time those hoo's look awsome

cheers dave

DazSamFishing
28-03-2007, 06:35 PM
7kg Pretest? Platypus make the only pretested lines with the test results hand written on the spool. Most other lines for gamefishing are IGFA rated. Were you using 8kg line or some non-Platypus in 15lb?

Well done on the fish BTW. Might we worth the change to resin head lures, going at 6.5knots, decreasing your fuel consumption, increasing you chance at a Marlin which are still around but not decreasing the amount of Wahoo and other bycatch you will get.

Smithy, yes it was 8kg Pre-test... not 7kg, apologies.

The reason behind the high speed trolling is that it gets me to my wider destinations quicker, and it tends to reduce the possibility of sea sickness for the other people out in my boat. I have towed some resin headed lures such as pakulas and also use X-raps, lazer pros and terminator vibs etc., but concentrate the 'slower' trolling around my X'spots. Additionally, most of the times out wide, the weather hasn't been too flash, which affects a good spread of resin heads or minnows.

Daz