PDA

View Full Version : The Banks, Poor Truckie !

jackson4300
27-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Well after a few 'setbacks' we were off, as we came onto the highway,, we saw a truck, carrying what looked like rubbish from a building site on its side, coming onto the highway from the roundabout near synergy park. No cops or fireies there, but a few good people helping :) , the driver was still in the cab and that was the side the truck had fallen onto :-/ . Not much we could have done, decision was made to keep going. Was at about 10 past 11 in the morning, Saturday the 24th. If any one has any more info on it would you mind posting, hope he got out alright.
Anyway, got to the coast no more hassles, put the boat in and off we went, found the first school of tuna, first cast from me with me new line and I was on, a nice 5kg Mack tuna. That was it, nothing else all the way, flicking at nearly every school until we decided that we were going to the banks and not chasing bait all day ;)
Was about 10nm miles from 'The Knob' our spot X, and one of the blokes yelled out that he had just seen a marlin. we were like yea sure, u been smoking those cones again ;D but as soon as that the sounder would have had at least 35m from top to bottom of a bait ball :o !!!. Trolled around it for about 5 minutes until the jet head got hit by a nice hoo. That was it from the bait ball, no marlin no nothing. Anyway started heading to the banks AGAIN.
Got their and some blokes we know we already there and said it had been slow, not to much happening apart from schools of undersized red emperor. Anyway to spot X we went. Dropped the pick and got into a couple rainbow runners, 1 big one, got a couple hits on floating baits as well with no hook ups :-/ .
Got a reefie here and there, and a lot of red emperor, all around 40-45cm's, great looking fish.
About 8pm, got a run on my floating bait, nice solid hook-up. The blokes onboard didn’t help out to much by yelling out comments like, its a shark. Got it boat side, and a stonker of a Spaniard, estimate of between 15-20kg. Nothing else after that so we sounded around for another spot. Good shows around the place but no real fish. The snapper didn’t seem to be in schools, never got 2 in the same hour, only 1 here and 1 a lot later on.
Next morning, first drop down and i was ON and i mean ON!!! :D
It was good fish, until i felt it go into the coral, after 20 minutes of 'persuading' it was out, got it up and its stomach was full of air like most of em get, and the boys again made a call of a giant catfish ?????
What were they doing to me, as it got closer a dash for the net was made, estimated 8-10kg spangled emperor, using a paternoster, only had my top hook which was all the way down its gob, bottom hook and sinker were lost on the reef in the fight, lucky as hell i am.
Final tally for the day was 22 fish between 3 blokes and Sheila. :D
Pics to follow

jackson4300
27-03-2007, 09:30 PM
The Photos

snapperm8
27-03-2007, 09:43 PM
now that is a nice bag of fish there deffently came home with a nice feed

cheers dave

DazSamFishing
27-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Productive session... Well done!

I am yet to do a Banks trip... Any suggestions?

Daz

-spiro-
27-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Nice catch there. what days did you go out there?

ffejsmada
28-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Well done, is that 10 or 11 or 12 species you got there?

jackson4300
28-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Saturday evening and sunday morning, started to blow up on the way back in on sunday so we picked the right time to head back in.
There were
3 snapper
1 pearlie
1 parrot
3 rainbow runners
3 red throats
3 coral bream
1 spangled empreor
1 wahoo
1 spaniard
3 mosas perch
1 hussar
and a trevor
;D
Was no current at all whle we were there, pea sized sinkers were getting our floating baits down to fast!!!:o

jackson4300
28-03-2007, 04:05 PM
As fo heading out to the banks, give it a month or two, wait for the snapper to get there in some numbers, then it'll be on everywhere.