PDA

View Full Version : To report or not to report?

84mick
27-03-2007, 04:18 PM
G'day,

Is it worth posting a report if you haven't caught anything? I have been thinking about this for a little while now (probably cause i never catch anything anymore) and have come up with the reasons to post and not to,

It would let people know "I" didn't do any good so dint bother and
What a waste of time reading this? :-/

Cheers, Mick.

kingtin
27-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Mick, reporting, even when you don't catch, can be beneficial. If you describe your methods, others may give you feedback as to how you can improve. If your methods are ok, then it let's them decide whether it was just an "off day" in the area that you were fishing so that they can either give it a go themselves or give it a miss.

Of course, if you simply report with no mention of method, then others can glean nothing from your report and therefore give nothing in return other than hazard a guess as to what went wrong.

I always describe my method (hook size, bait, presentation etc) and if I have been successful, then others may wish to give it a try. If I have been unsuccessful (as I often am) ::) then others may wish to tell me how to improve what I am doing. I have been given much advice from others by reporting, even when it's been a duff day.

If nothing else, a word of encouragement from others, when you are dipping out, goes a long way to motivate you further, and there are always words of encouragement here at Ausfish.

kev

Freeeedom
28-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Agree with Kingtin completely. Knowing that someone else has fished a location without much or any success can be useful in planning your next trip. For example information about how bad the weed is at Bribie, Teewah or Fraser can save you a lot of time, petrol and frustration. I recently spent 4 days fishing Tin Can Bay for b*gger all on the fish side even though I fished hard every day and tried every technique and trick I knew to find a fish. I reported the trip, despite it being unproductive, for the benefit of anyone else who might be going up there soon. The fishing may improve with changing tidal run and will certainly change with the seasons as different fish move in and out of the estuary system. Keeping a detailed record of when you didn't catch fish at a location helps you build up a database of fish movements and behaviour. I will sometimes, before planning a trip, sit down with my diaries and read where I fished and what I did or didn't catch in a particular month over many years. I can then eliminate locations which did not produce at that time and go somewhere esle
Cheers Freeeedom

finga
28-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Diddo
I'm used to doing the 'no catch' report now though. :(
Cheers Scott :)

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Something I realized is by making a few posts and by contributing to other threads gets your name recognized. The more you post the better other members will get to know you. From there friendships can be formed and you even get to know other members who live close by. I have met in person several members from Ausfish and have enjoyed fishing with them and going offroad with them. The point is that not only can we share information with each other on here but we can also learn from one another outside of here. Keep on posting mate and I am sure there will be lots of advice to help improve your fishing techniques. Just a couple of questions. Do you fish landbased or out of a boat? Do you use bait or SP's or HB's? Persistence will pay dividends eventually. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

T1
28-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Second POODROO!

I almost always post regardless as every trip is an adventure! Plus, i like to know when people haven't caught fish too... It could be beneficial to both parties (the poster and viewer).

Our good friend GREAT WHITE posted everytime he went out and eventually started receiving offers from all corners (inc a trip on the Great Masters boat WEBBY! I should attempt to struggle a bit more and perhaps he'll take pity on me and invite me out...)! So MICK, you just never know what it might lead too!

Take Care T

clone trooper
28-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree with all. the more info you can put into the report helps us all out when planing the next trip. I myself are guilty of not reporting on trips when I have no success. for some dumb reason I belived I was the only one to come home with nothing (often). I will in future report.

gunna
28-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Agree with Kingtin completely. Knowing that someone else has fished a location without much or any success can be useful in planning your next trip. For example information about how bad the weed is at Bribie, Teewah or Fraser can save you a lot of time, petrol and frustration. I recently spent 4 days fishing Tin Can Bay for b*gger all on the fish side even though I fished hard every day and tried every technique and trick I knew to find a fish. I reported the trip, despite it being unproductive, for the benefit of anyone else who might be going up there soon.
Cheers Freeeedom

Spot on. I will be up there in a fortnight. Even though Freedom got bugger all it gave me the opportunity to PM him with a few questions. To me - his report of bugger all was very important. And he even gave me the answers I needed :) .

Phoenix
28-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah - I agree. Post a report. It is good for the community to learn from each others experiences.

84mick
28-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Awesome, thanks guys and I guess I'll keep on posting "no fish" reports with a little more detail now.

Poodroo: I fish land base 99% of the time and I use SP's (yes another one;) )

Thanks guys hey, I wasn't to sure if I was annoying others or not but I am glad I did ask and I hope my no fish reports help other ausfish members in the future.

Cheers, Mick.

bellco
28-03-2007, 05:26 PM
at the very least it makes others who catch stuff all feel good, top post,
I bet it makes a ALOT of people on this site feel better, myself included!