PDA

View Full Version : Four Grandfathers at 1770

Frank OO
27-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Well after dreaming about 1770 for 39 years, I decided to put a plan of action in place. The four of us ( all Grandfathers) decided to go out and catch the fish of our lives.

After a really casual drive of 5.5 hours we arrived at the Captain Cook Cottages and set up in our cabin.

Early the next morning we decided to have a look at the Channel from the headland and decided that there was a real bar and it looked dangerous. Big crashing surf made the bar crossing look impossible so it was a real shock when the guys said “lets go and have a look”.

There was a very small channel of water between the curlers and it appeared to be fairly stable so we decided to give it a go. With my heart pounding and hand on the throttle we gently guided the Cruisecraft through the hole. All was well until a massive wave came out of nowhere and with a quick flick of the wheel we were surfing. A bit of extra throttle and we were out. “That was easy” said Richard, “Now all we have to do is get back in, because it is way too rough to go fishing”.

I didn’t need to say anything because my looks could have killed him. The trip back in was a little easier as the throttle was hard on. Nothing was going to surprise me this time.

Those that have seen 1770 at its worst will be laughing but it wasn’t funny at the time.

I told you that to let you know that the next two days we successfully maneuvered the bar without incident and headed out in 20 knots.

Roz from Ausfish gave me some marks and it was only due to her kind help that we caught anything at all because the sea was not kind to us.

I have included some other photos so it may help others who would like to visit this fantastic place.

The rod that I am holding is a new build from Egrell “Pansy Stick” (My Name because of the creamy white butt not because of the guy using it) ) This is a weapon. When you need a rod with guts that will stop the Coral Trout in their tracks, this is the one.

Amazingly The Pansy Stick still gives you a lot of feel but refuses to bend unlike the little Loomis in the photo.

Frank OO
27-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Some of the fish

davez104
27-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Looks like you all had a good time, despite the conditions. Some damn fine fish there too.

Dave.

roydsy
27-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Frank some bloody nice fish there mate. I too, had similar confrontations with the 1770 bar in my 5.5m full boar back in September 2006.

We were going to go up the coast to try to access Eurimbula Creek and went out about 3 hours from the high tide. The bar looked gnarly with consistent 3-4 foot sets coming through. (I had some very nice surfs at agnes water during my stay nonetheless). After about day 3 of fishing the estuaries and catching a few flattie, we decided to give it a crack..... how bad can it be.

hmmm well we watched someone else go out through the bar and followed with enthusiasm. However, as we were half way out, out of no where came this pearler of a set and we had to send a few of us up the bow to get through. We managed to get some serious air off the wave and it seemed like we only just got through it. At this stage being a little inexperienced, I was hesitant to stall or turn around in the middle of madness and looked around at the rest of the crew and the consensus was to keep going. They all wanted to be anywhere except int he middle of a bar. All was going good we were almost out then yet again another set was coming at us, this time bigger and we were all basically thinking that we were gone! In fact i was quoted by my mate as saying were gone! I don't know how we didn't flip but she got us through and we sat out in the open water wondering what the hell are we doing here.

My old man was like pffft...blouses!, don't worry about it lets go up and take a look at Eurimbula Creek, we stayed out wide, as in close to shore the swell was quite lumpy, came in for a look and it was impassable without some local knowledge. We turned around and motored home back through the swell and went full boar back in through the bar a bit shaken up and annoyed. Our final day we opted for a relaxing day of sight seeing and surfing and went up to the headland lookout and noticed our gnarly bar was now completely flat and people were water skiiing there..what the.....lol

We all went home with Big 'L' on our foreheads....errr...cough ...losers. hehe enough said.

Big_Ren
27-03-2007, 02:52 PM
The accommodation looks good Frank....hope you boys behaved yourselves;D Compared to our Monduran escapade, at least you caught fish!!!

By the looks of it, no bait was allowed on board::) How did the boys go fishing with nuclear CHIIIIIICCCCKKKENS?

Was the accommodation reasonably priced?

Well done mate. Ben may be too depressed to respond to any fishing post for some time:-[ .

Cheers
Paul

Stuie
27-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Well done on your first 1770 trip. That first trout is a nice fish. Did you get all those fish at outer rock? Did you try for any spaniards?

andrew&lucy
27-03-2007, 06:18 PM
frank 00 on saturday winds where stronger inshore about 25kms out where about 5kts less came home at 4000rpm.andrew

Frank OO
27-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Roydsy,

Most of the other guys went straight through the bar and across the with water even though there was less than a meter of water under them. If you turn left at the green marker there is a relatively safe channel all the way through. I spoke to the Captain of the big commercial Cat and he was kind enough to give me the good information..

Mate it is very scary driving at night at the best of times. It would have scared the pants off me.

Hi Big-Ren,

I am sad to see that you only caught one fish because I know how much you were all looking forward to it. I went to 1770 because I wanted to stick to what I know and even then the weather let us down.

The accommodation was great and Pat was very accommodating with the parking of the boat. There is plenty of room for big boats. Accommodation was $103.00 per night for a cabin and Ensuite.

Any sort of plastics except for the Chartreuse worked well. Nuclear CHICKENNNNNNN was the best of all. The wind was really bad and even the sea anchor didn’t slow us down because the current was also running. Jig heads were upsized to 1oz in 32 meters.

Hi Stuie,

All the fish were caught at a mark that Roz gave us in 32 Meters North East. None of the fish were caught at the outer reef. No Spaniards. Nothing!!!!

We trolled all around the outer reef with skirts and Plastics.

Hi Andrew and Lucy,

Bugger!!!!

Good to know though. It happens a lot that the land breeze does not have the same effect out wide.

Thanks Andrew.

Frank OO

snapperm8
27-03-2007, 09:41 PM
well some nice fish there and that rod looks the treat!

cheers dave

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Been a long time since I was out at 1770. Good to see the fish still inhabit that beautiful part of the world. The pics show that the drive was worth it. Congrats to the 4 grandfathers for a successful trip.

Poodroo

Edmo
28-03-2007, 03:53 PM
its a great place allright and i've never come home without an esky full of macs.
i hope to have better luck on the reefies next time, cheers Ed

roz
29-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Frankoo,

Glad you managed to at least get out & catch something, you can control a lot of things but the weather isn't one.

I'm a little surprised some of those AJs didn't follow you up there, as you seem to be the AJ magnet.

thanks for posting the photos, some nice fish there. Did you get a chance to drop in and see Tony & Sandi (Agnes Bait & Tackle)

cheers roz.

sambos
29-03-2007, 06:15 PM
not a bad haul for ordinary weather reckon you owe roz a carton or two for the marks .good on ya roz for giving someone a start

Frank OO
29-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Roz,

I did call in to Agnes Jack but Tony was on his days off. I would have liked to catch up with him.

Sambos,

I had thought something more like dinner for three when I am next in Coffs's, and that won't be too long.

Frank OO

wak69
29-03-2007, 10:08 PM
great stuff uncle frank, what a lovely part of the world up there, looks like you were off bustard heads. well done guys.

regards sam.