PDA

View Full Version : Targa Tops from Boat Shops

Marlin_Mike
27-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I am thinking of a targa top for my centre console. I looked at a few at BCF and Bias, the pre made ones. Look nice but appear they would be a touch flimsy when installed.

Anyone had any experience with them? Would they need additional bracing? SHould I stay away from them? Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Mike

juju
27-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Those are one of the pay for what you get deals, the quality of the tube and so on isent up to what you whould get from a boat trimmer, i hear it can be an issue if you need to replace the barckets as they arnt the same as the off the shelf ones you can buy..

fez
27-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Mike,

I had one on my old centre console (needed it as I was living in Cairns at the time) they are a bit better than I thought in regards to being too flimsy. However in saying that they are no where near the quality (or price for that matter) of a custom job. I would imagine that you may need to brace it down here with the slop of Moreton Bay as I certainly wouldn't want to be hanging onto it coming home. Mate I would invest the $330 or so that they cost into the saving for a custom job as IMO you will get a better quality job that will last longer and also look better.

Cheers,
Fez

eimeo
27-03-2007, 07:10 PM
i purchased one of the t tops from bcf-the large one for $369 and find it fantastic.they are pretty sturdy but flexible.I am 110kgs and often hang of the struts when travelling when someone else is driving-yes i do let them have a go from time to time.they are great value for money if you want a quick fix -or you could mount umbrellas in holders for when you are stationary-no good for travelling but cheap shade.I would have liked a custom job but the cost was too much at the time-maybe later on.I was quoted about $1500 to get one built

cheers
dave