PDA

View Full Version : where to live & fish in Qld?

lee8sec
27-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Iam looking at moving to QLd to live (like everyone else )and would like to hear from the fisho's point of view as to where to live. Work isnt a problem. Which area is the better as far as land & boat fishing go, boat ramps & general fishing conditions?

Choices i have got are : Hervey Bay, Sun shine coast (near bruce hwy) or Narangba / Deception Bay area. Thanks Leigh

PS. I have a boat, 4wd and also beach / rock fishing.

gunna
27-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I am on the Sunny Coast and think its great. If you are into outside fishing Mooloolaba is the safest bar in the State. Good reefs not too far out with better reefs further out. Estuary fishing is a bit slow though. Barra dams are only 3 hours away, as is Fraser Is. I will let the Brissy guys sing the praises of the Deception Bay area.

Sneazer
27-03-2007, 11:12 AM
agreed, Mooloolaba is where i would heading if i could.

Chezzy13
27-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Dont come to the goldcoast:-X..Over priced, over housed and fished out..:P
Im the opposite, Im heading South..As far as I can lol..;D

Noelm
27-03-2007, 01:02 PM
i reckon you should move to Cairns and buy a big game boat, then we can all come and visit on a roster system (me first)

lee8sec
27-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the answers. Yes i do fish offshore. Cairns, too humid in summer & to many nasty critters in the water. No interest in the GC.
Will see what the deception bay people have to say. Leigh

lee8sec
27-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Dont come to the goldcoast:-X..Over priced, over housed and fished out..:P
Im the opposite, Im heading South..As far as I can lol..;D

Used to live at tweed heads in mid 80's was ok then but couldnt live there now. Came from melbourne, had enough of "down sth" as a kid, too bloody cold. Leigh

Marlin_Mike
27-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Hervey Bay or in brisbane go for Redland Shire.

Mike

Chezzy13
27-03-2007, 02:14 PM
as a kid, too bloody cold. Leigh

Ohhhhh cant wait, Im heading to S.A..:) Good luck anyway, hope it all works out for you.. further up north like the sunshine coast, and surroundings areas, nice spots..;)

Mattg68
27-03-2007, 02:16 PM
yeh, sunshine coast is nice...............

.....I'm just glad your not coming to Brisbane..lol..

....just kiddin'....

...or am I?

Matt

laugag
27-03-2007, 02:59 PM
ANYWHERE in the Sunshine state is great to FISH! ;D ;D

kingtin
27-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I am on the Sunny Coast and think its great. If you are into outside fishing Mooloolaba is the safest bar in the State. Good reefs not too far out with better reefs further out. .

All you've got to do is make sure you hit the ramps before 3am to guarantee a spot ;D

Seriously, won't be long before my kids are grown and I'm looking for a retirement place already..........Mooloolaba area is right up there, if only for easy offshore access.

kev

lee8sec
27-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Hervey Bay or in brisbane go for Redland Shire.

Mike

Want / need to get around 2000sqm or larger block of land, thats why iam looking outside brissy. Plus others dont want me there::) hi biosbro8-)
Thanks for the input. Leigh

lee8sec
27-03-2007, 03:37 PM
All you've got to do is make sure you hit the ramps before 3am to guarantee a spot ;D

Seriously, won't be long before my kids are grown and I'm looking for a retirement place already..........Mooloolaba area is right up there, if only for easy offshore access.

kev

Kev, wish it was retirement :'( but finding work isnt the problem, thats why its a bit harder to decide where to live. I want to start winding back and spend some time fishing and enjoying life but will still need to do some work:( Leigh

Kleyny
27-03-2007, 03:41 PM
D bay to the locals is called Depression Bay. (bit of a grub area at the moment)
Have to be reeeeeeal careful on where you buy in that area.
what about Bribie island and Ningi area if north Moreton bay area is what you are looking for. 10 times better than D Bay.
neil

gunna
27-03-2007, 03:54 PM

kev

Time you retired Kev. Ramps are empty mid-week ;D . I see today there is a new ramp on the river up near the Nicklin Way bridge.

kingtin
27-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Time you retired Kev. Ramps are empty mid-week ;D . I see today there is a new ramp on the river up near the Nicklin Way bridge.

When you're on home duties, people reckon you already have retired. Somedays I wish I was at work instead of hearing, "not that for dinner again dad". :-/ Over 9 bucks for truss tomatoes today and broccoli at nearly 8 bucks a kilo! It's bloody hard work making ends meet ;) ::) ;D Jeeeeeeez, now I know how housewives feel .......price of broccoli.... ::)..... .get a life kev ::) ;D

The house in the UK is finally under offer so fingers crossed, we'll be looking up that way soon. If the New Sunny Coast Hospital gets the go-ahead, then the deckie reckons that's where she wants to be.

kev

kingtin
27-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Kev, wish it was retirement :'( but finding work isnt the problem, thats why its a bit harder to decide where to live. I want to start winding back and spend some time fishing and enjoying life but will still need to do some work:( Leigh

Mate, wind back, sooner, rather than later...........life's too short. I've gone from 5 kids to 2 kids in as many months and it's starting to feel great.

kev

84mick
27-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Deception Bay is awesome!!!!!!...... Oh man thats just wrong! lol use to live there and never will again, Go the Sunny coast, great place, nice people and fishing.

Cheers, Mick.

84mick
27-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Mate, wind back, sooner, rather than later...........life's too short. I've gone from 5 kids to 2 kids in as many months and it's starting to feel great.

kev

I've got one on the way! :o :P;)

Mick.

BobbyJ123
27-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Mackay area.........Barra, coral trout, mackerel etc. Islands just off shore for reefiesand pelagics. And lotsa land for sale.

kingtin
27-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I've got one on the way! :o :P;)

Mick.

Mate, don't get me wrong. I've worked with kids in one way or another for the last 30 yrs and have loved it.

Enjoy it mate and look forward to the day when he/she can hold onto a fishing rod. Yours (and their) delight when they catch their first fish will be awesome and will stay in your memory forever.

kev

insideout
27-03-2007, 05:50 PM
When you're on home duties, people reckon you already have retired. Somedays I wish I was at work instead of hearing, "not that for dinner again dad". :-/ Over 9 bucks for truss tomatoes today and broccoli at nearly 8 bucks a kilo! It's bloody hard work making ends meet ;) ::) ;D Jeeeeeeez, now I know how housewives feel .......price of broccoli.... ::)..... .get a life kev ::) ;D

The house in the UK is finally under offer so fingers crossed, we'll be looking up that way soon. If the New Sunny Coast Hospital gets the go-ahead, then the deckie reckons that's where she wants to be.

kev

after selling a house in the uk, you will be a millionare, and will not want to talk to the likes of us! ;)

kingtin
27-03-2007, 05:57 PM
after selling a house in the uk, you will be a millionare, and will not want to talk to the likes of us! ;)

I'll talk to anyone in Oz............it's those bloody Poms that I won't talk to ;D

There's not much left of the house mate, when they take 40% inheritance tax :o (which we've had to put up front before we could sell) ::) Still, it means the mortgage will be paid off and the deckie can drop a day and I get to fish an extra day. ;D

kev

insideout
27-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I'll talk to anyone in Oz............it's those bloody Poms that I won't talk to ;D

There's not much left of the house mate, when they take 40% inheritance tax :o (which we've had to put up front before we could sell) ::) Still, it means the mortgage will be paid off and the deckie can drop a day and I get to fish an extra day. ;D

kev

40%!!!:-X No wonder the pound is so strong!! Thats a shame to put it lightly!At least you get to realise the great aussie dream of owning your home, so some good is to come of it!! Should pop your head in up here in hervey bay sometime!!

lee8sec
31-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Well the bad news is, tooks like we will be moving to the Sunshine coast area. Sorry to all that live there already:-[ . Promise i wont catch to many fish;) Will give me a chance to come to some of the meet & greets::) Thanks for the input. Leigh

Chezzy13
31-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Were heading South..Cant wait..Good snapper and King George Whiting fishing that way..
:P

gunna
31-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Well the bad news is, tooks like we will be moving to the Sunshine coast area. Sorry to all that live there already:-[ . Promise i wont catch to many fish;) Will give me a chance to come to some of the meet & greets::) Thanks for the input. Leigh

You won't be sorry Leigh. God's own country. Any ideas what part ??

silver19
31-03-2007, 09:53 AM
off topic:-[

sarg
31-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Narangba's a good place if you want land about 40mins from sunny coast you can get to river fishing in 10 mins bribie or redcliffe in 30. Though given the choice between narangba and the sunny coast i'd take the latter. D'bay isn't as bad as mad out either I know people who have lived there for 20 years, friends and relatives, and it has changed alot but in saying that anyone I think would still pick the sunny coast.

Andrew

gunnabuild1
31-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Mate you'll be pretty happy anywhere up here, but do us a favour bring some water up with you

Mrs Ronnie H
01-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Leigh

I live at Beachmere which is only a small town on Deception bay itself. nice and quiet, central to everywhere. Brisbane 40 minutes, Bribie island about 15 and Sunshine coast --- 40 k's up the road.

Nice and quiet, have moderately priced housing and Boat ramp half a kilometre down road from us and beach a block away. Fishing to Moreton is about 40 mins from here and 15 to 20 to Bribie.

My Advice is -- Have a look for yourself and you'll know when you see it.

I'd have a good look at DBAY before I made up my mind.

Ronnie

sandbankmagnet
01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Can you bring some water, electricity, police and doctors with you?

I live in Brissie, but raised on the Sunshine Coast. I'm dying to find an appropriate job up there so I can shift back. On holidays at Caloundra for two weeks in a week or so. Cannot wait.

lee8sec
02-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Will be coming up in May for a better look around.
Cant help on the water front, we are at leval 4 & may go to 5, so no spare water. Leigh

Eagle
02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
We live just 10 klms from Yeppoon (the coastal area for Rockhampton). The fishing up here is superb but it can be a bit windy at times. The South Easters are the predominant winds and they bring cool conditions to Yeppoon when it a stinker in R'ton. We average 4 to 6 degress cooler here, even more at times.We fish all over Keppel Bay, Outer Rock and Man & Wife being especialy good. Isa Jane Shoals is also a great place. Lots of barra close by at Awonga. We wouldnt move or live anywhere else.

Eagle

zedjack33
03-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I rec'n that bundy and area has it all.....................regards to fishng and species anyway! Here we have both southern and northern species (without the "mud gecko's too) crossing over....same for Agnes etc!

So many options!

t4topcat
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree withy Bobbj123 Mackay is a nice place to live and you can chase barra and jack in the creeks pelagics out front and reefies too, all in all 'TOP NOTCH'. I've been here 6 years now, and although property prices are a bit steep there seems to be plenty of work (and some of it pretty highly paid), so keep it in mind.

Cheers

Chris

Hardb8
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Redcliffe...Water on three sides,Five minutes from one end to the other,And everything ya need is on the peninsula.I know my neighbours names,And it's hard to get in ya car go for a drive and not see someone ya know.

Billfish,Mackeral,Dorado and Wahoo on the wide,A bit closer in and ya got Knobbys,Mulloway,Tunas and Tailor.Closer still are Big Bream,Flathead and Jack that have been using my 30lb braid for dental floss.

20 minutes away are some of the biggest and badest Australian Bass our country has to offer.Spend three hours in the car,And ya hookin up ta Barra on topwaters.

30-40 to the city,And 50-60 minutes to the coasts,Sunshine or Gold if waves are ya thing.Almost forgot Moreton Island.The barge leaves from the peninsula.

Not a bad spot to be.

Chezzy13
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Mate you'll be pretty happy anywhere up here, but do us a favour bring some water up with you

Thats an under statement!!!:( BTW, These bunnys are cute hee hee..:P

NEWBY
03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Mate, if you want to catch fresh and ocean, fish, have plenty of clean water, not overcrowded, still realistic land prices and only 1 hour from Brisvegs, GLADSTONE is the go. Moved here 2 and a bit years ago and bloody love it.
Fresh = Awonga dam
Salt = Anywhere east of the town. Plus barra and jack in the massive creek systems. ( few mud crabs left too)
Clean water = Awonga dam
68000 people in and around the area roughly
You can still buy a reasonable house under half a mil and its 1 hour and a hundred bucks on the plane to Brissy. Close enough but far enough away.

P.S. The joint is in desperate need of workers too.

NEWBY

WHALEOIL
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Mate, if you want to catch fresh and ocean, fish, have plenty of clean water, not overcrowded, still realistic land prices and only 1 hour from Brisvegs, GLADSTONE is the go. Moved here 2 and a bit years ago and bloody love it.
Fresh = Awonga dam
Salt = Anywhere east of the town. Plus barra and jack in the massive creek systems. ( few mud crabs left too)
Clean water = Awonga dam
68000 people in and around the area roughly
You can still buy a reasonable house under half a mil and its 1 hour and a hundred bucks on the plane to Brissy. Close enough but far enough away.

P.S. The joint is in desperate need of workers too.

I agree with Newby. I hope to be there within the next 6 months.

lee8sec
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
You won't be sorry Leigh. God's own country. Any ideas what part ??

Coming up in May to have alook. Will look around the Bruce Hwy from Glenview upto Yandina and see what we like. Leigh

Ryan.S
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hervey bay is The spot. Not as good as it once was (like everywhere) but still alive with action and you can escape the wind somewhere no matter which way it hits you from.
Ryno

Luc
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I'd go Hervey Bay.

While close in is typical suburbia, if you willing to go a few Ks out, you should be able to get the size blok you're after.

Luc

cato
10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
burdekin nth qld . great fishing & no water restrictions here!!!!!

SgBFish
11-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Neil

SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Don't tell the southerners about Bribie.
Deep water access to Moreton.
Not too close to BrisVegas but close enough.
Nice lifestyle
Soon to have plenty of drinking water...

Scott

84mick
11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Mate, don't get me wrong. I've worked with kids in one way or another for the last 30 yrs and have loved it.

Enjoy it mate and look forward to the day when he/she can hold onto a fishing rod. Yours (and their) delight when they catch their first fish will be awesome and will stay in your memory forever.

kev

I cant wait Kev! I have his little set up pick out already! haha.

Mick.

lee8sec
18-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Well the bad news for some is it looks like HERVEY BAY is the winner:D not 100% yet but its the odd's on favorite. Sorry to all the hervey bay locals, but will do my best to not devalue the area to much;D Leigh

aus2045
18-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Donnybrook near Birbie Island is the go for me. It's a fishing paradise.

pebble_monkey
18-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I moved to Bundaberg 3 years ago ...... best thing i ever did. Will never go back to the big smoke. We are surrounded by five rivers/waterways .... and mud crabs to die for ..... Just perfect

Fish Guts
18-05-2007, 01:12 PM
mate id steer away from deception bay, wont beat around the bush, its full of grubs and rednecks. however, id suggest anywhere up the sunshine coast. another suggestion would be shorncliffe, on the water and a lovely spot, close to brisbane, and good lauching spot to head to moreton for fishing.

Deception bay is the home of the 8 seater tarago, nimbus and starwagon. choice bro ! NOT !!!!!!

ffejsmada
18-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Donnybrook near Birbie Island is the go for me. It's a fishing paradise.

Fishing Paradise?????????????

I didn't think you could catch a fish mate!!!!!

You know, the fishing for the poor thread.

Sold all your gear yet????????????

Fish Guts
18-05-2007, 01:33 PM
i think the only thing you'd catch at deception bay would be the bastards stealing your car

B_E_N
18-05-2007, 03:20 PM
GO SHORNCLIFFE, i live just behind the cliff on friday street, i hear the waves when the tide is up and can see the water from my foothpath, like fish guts said close to brisbane, in between the coasts, not to far away from anything, and your right on the bay aswell, that and theres a fair few fishing secrets that i wont delve into. all that on top of an area with history, large house blocks, not much traffic, and you can walk from one side of the suburb to the other in 15mins from anywhere!

Davemclean
18-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm reading this thread with imterest, cos in a few years I'm going to emmigrate to OZ, and I have been looking at the Brisbane area

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 12:09 AM
A few years Dave? Take the leap now.

Davemclean
19-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I honetly would mate, it's just a finance situation for me, it's impossible to find a job near where I live, otherwise, if I had the money, I would literally leave tomorrow

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah. It's a bit hard without the cash but, we have all been there. What sort of work do you prefer?

Davemclean
19-05-2007, 01:13 AM
I would prefer to work with animals, or outdoors, but would honestly work anywhere to save the money up

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 01:50 AM
All the best with it Dave. You never know, I might bump into you as we are heading up that way shortly.

Davemclean
19-05-2007, 02:07 AM
cheers mate, once I get over to OZ and get myself settled I'll start organizing fishing trips and stuff, and I have just remembered mate, I have a cousin who lives in Canberra, she moved there from Perth

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 02:19 AM
A bonus. You have family here too. Canberra's not a bad place.
An hour and 45 and you have your boat in the sea.
An hour and a half and your fishing the mountain lakes for Trout and 30 minutes on from there, you are in the snow (hate it)
High wages but you can't fart without being taxed.
And no, it is not full of politicians and pubes. Majority of workers are employed by private enterprise.
It's not where I want to be though.

Davemclean
19-05-2007, 02:45 AM
lol, I'm not a fan of big cities anyway mate, I would like to visit Bunbury, where my mum was born, and really want to move to the Queensland area, somewhere that is relativly close to Brisbane would be ideal

PinHead
19-05-2007, 05:45 AM
A bonus. You have family here too. Canberra's not a bad place.
An hour and 45 and you have your boat in the sea.
An hour and a half and your fishing the mountain lakes for Trout and 30 minutes on from there, you are in the snow (hate it)
High wages but you can't fart without being taxed.
And no, it is not full of politicians and pubes. Majority of workers are employed by private enterprise.
It's not where I want to be though.

and in May/June the temp does not get above about 12C...the fog does not lift until about 2pm...it looks depressing as there in not a green leaf in sight on any of the trees...I stayed there for 6 weeks quite a few years back..woke every morning ..looked across at the gold course across the road and it was covered in frost every morning...I could not wait to get back home.

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 05:53 AM
True Pinhead. The weather is not that good. We have nearly hit zero already.

Greg P
19-05-2007, 06:32 AM
And no, it is not full of politicians and pubes.

Especially at Fyshwick :-X;D;D;D;D;D

WHALEOIL
19-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Plenty of both visit Mitchell and Fyshwick Greg. Fact

lee8sec
20-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm reading this thread with imterest, cos in a few years I'm going to emmigrate to OZ, and I have been looking at the Brisbane area

Dave , its always good to hear other peoples idea's which was why i started the thread. What looks nice when on holidays may not be as nice to live at. Leigh