PDA

View Full Version : Why Do They Do It

Chezzy13
26-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Why is it that Jewies, or snapper, or finger marks etc inflate there swim bladder to pop them right outta there gobs..Iv seen Rex POP them, then release them, wont that kill them??? :o.. He released the jewie, under size..
Just wondering???:-/

davez104
26-03-2007, 09:53 PM
They don't inflate them by choice, as they are dragged up from the depths, the air expands because water pressure is decreasing. The fishy version of the bends. They can't deflate the swim bladder by themselves, so if it is not popped, they just flounder around on the surface untill something eats them. Popping the bladder will allow them to swim again, but they then face infections etc. Not sure what effect the popped bladder has on their swimming ability though.

Dave.

Chezzy13
27-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for that Dave, appreciate it..:) I was wondering about infections, poor blighters..

Dignity
27-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sure I have read that you shouldn't pop the bit that sticks out their gobs but do the bladder deflating thing just behind and above the pectoral fin. Can't remember why but apparently the success rate of the fish having the balloon in it's mouth popped is very low.

sam

minno
27-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Once the fish has gotten over the catching experience, it will exspell the air its self, and go on its happy way.

minno

Luc
27-03-2007, 11:19 PM
For fish with barotrauma, there are 2 ways to fix the problem

1. use a hypodermic (just behind the pectoral fin) needle to let the air escape from the swim bladder,

OR

2. use aspecial release weight to drop the fish back to the depths. Once deep enough, the blader deflates (re-compresses) and the fish releases itself from the device.

For all the good info have a look at

http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/files/25/Dealing%20with%20Barotrauma.pdf

Luc

Nic
28-03-2007, 10:57 AM
The Garry Lilley Release Weight has just been redesigned actually, and it's now distributed by Sunset Sinker Supplies. If you contact them (sunsetsinkersupplies@westnet.com.au) they should be able to tell you where your nearest stockist is. There's no set RRP but I reckon you wouldn't pay much more than $18 for the 40oz version or $16 for the 20oz one.

choppa
28-03-2007, 11:23 AM
The Garry Lilley Release Weight has just been redesigned actually, and it's now distributed by Sunset Sinker Supplies. If you contact them (sunsetsinkersupplies@westnet.com.au) they should be able to tell you where your nearest stockist is. There's no set RRP but I reckon you wouldn't pay much more than $18 for the 40oz version or $16 for the 20oz one.

spot on nic,,, another thread carried this same story awhile back,,,,

its also cheap and easy to make one yourself,,,, snappa lead etc with a barbless hook does the same job,,,, it was interesting to see how many ausfisho's responded saying that they had one in amongst their tackle

choppa

Nic
28-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Well I always felt bad about releasing a fish only to see it flapping helplessly on the surface... It got so that when I felt a small fish on the line I'd slow my retrieve down to prevent barotrauma, and I felt irritated because I was wasting fishing time.

Recfishwest (www.recfishwest.org.au) has info on how to use the Release Weight, although the photos on their site are of the old design. Word is there's a 60oz version in the pipeline for XOS fish, don't know when that's coming out though.