PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Fish recipe sought

Sean Larkan
26-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi - my wife & I release 99% of our fish but love pickled fish so may keep the odd one for that - wondered if anyone had a simple killer pickled fish recipe and are some fish better than others for pickling - many thanks ! regards Sean8-)

Noelm
26-03-2007, 02:09 PM
best fish for pickling I found was trevally or similar "less desirable" firm fish, I am a bit of a tight ar5e so when I used to buy those commercial fish "rollmops" and the like, I keep the jar and "juice" and cut up fish and put it in (no blood meat) and then you get two lots of rollmops for the price of 1 (what a stinge huh!) but a home made recipe is half cup vinegar, 2 table spoons brown sugar, stir to disolve and you can add some other "spices" to suit your taste, put in fish pieces and wait a week or so (in fridge) and it is ready to eat.

Ausfish
27-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Here is a Rollmops recipe. I would imagine that you can substitute the fish.

Rollmops

Wash 8 herrings. Place your knife behind the gill and fin and cut off the head. Cut along the belly, remove the gut and open the fish out flat. Pinch the spine at the tail end and carefully lift out, pulling the spine towards the head. Remove any small bone with tweezers. Place the butterflied fillets in a large non-metallic dish. Combine 1 litre of water with 100g of salt and stir over a medium heat until the salt disolves. Allow to cool before pouring over the fish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Meanwhile, prepare the pickling vinegar then allow it to cool.

Combine 1 litre of white wine vinegar, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon pickling spice (available from most supermarkets) and 5 black peppercorns.

Rinse and dry the brined fillets and place skin side down on a wooden board. Place a thin slice of onion on centre of each fillet and top with a slice of gherkin. Roll each fillet up from the head end and secure with a toothpick. Pack teh fillets into a 1 litre clean jar, pour the spiced vinegar over and seal. Refrigerate for at least 2 days, and up to 5 days, before serving.

BobbyJ123
27-03-2007, 05:01 PM
How about nummus?
Cut fish into finger sized pieces.
Into a bowl, not metal, add 1 cup white vinegar
juice of 1 squeezed lemon,
half chilli, finely chopped, sliced cucumber and sliced tomato and capsicum, 3 rings of onion add the fish, bung it all in the fridge for 1 hour and then eat.

Tangles
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Theres an Austrian recipie ill hunt up for you for herrings, amazing but very stinky.,.clears out the house but very spicy

mike

jaybee
14-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Here is my mums recipe bit like steves, after it stands in the fridge it actually forms a jelly on top, very yummy.

Small whole fish (mullet) or similar
Water
Salt
Vinegar

Place fish in large dish end to end.
Cover with a little water and sprinkle of salt. Bring to boil and simmer gently until cooked. Pour off half the water and cover with vinegar while hot. Cover and let stand over night, will keep for a few days.

cheers
Joe

brady
16-04-2007, 12:48 PM
There is a very good curry pickled fish recipe available on the internet.
Have a look at "Cape Malai Pickled fish" on Google.

Brady

wateva-treva
04-05-2007, 03:42 PM
i was camping on an island with no refridgeration and nothing but fresh fish for brekky lunch and dinner for 10 days. i never thort id say no to seafood i kno its sad but we got to a point where we all turned down whole coral trout grilled with lemon butter and ginger (shame)http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon11.gif. so for diversity we put thin slices of coral trout in:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
sueeze lemon juice
fresh salt n pepper

divine

happy eating!