PDA

View Full Version : Prop Cavitating?????

rando
26-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I was out with a mate last week and it sounded like the prop was cavitating, intermittently ,what causes this to happen and how do you fix it. ?? 150Yammy 2stroke

davez104
26-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Heaps of things can cause it, prop damage, incorect mounting height of motor, bad boat design, unbalanced boat, aerated water & lots more. Post up a bit more info, like if the boat has allways done it or just started to happen, in what circumstances it does it, type of boat etc, and I am sure someone will be able to help. A couple of photos from the back of the boat showing the prop, and position of the cav plate in relation to the hull would probably help as well.

Dave.

rando
26-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Dave
It was a test run on the boat, I spotted a pretty large chip on the end of one blade of the prop, about the size of a large mans thumbnail.
No cavitation in smooth water, but when we hit chop it started to sound like the prop was losing grip.
My mate thought it was the angle of the boat as it did not happen on the way back in.
I felt it started when the hull checked after coming off a chop.
thanks for your input will tell him to look at mount height , cav plate etc.
cheers
rando

Kerry
26-03-2007, 04:55 PM
If it is intermittent, not noticable in smooth water and occurs in a chop then would have a look at the state of the prop hub bush?

rando
26-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Kerry
We will look at that also.
r