PDA

View Full Version : Fish Identity

BrettA
25-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Hello all,

First post here, and I must say an excellent resource for boating and fishing. I originally signed up here to learn about boats but reading about fishing has reignited my interest in it.

My first post is regarding the identity of this fish:

http://www.users.on.net/~ashford/fish.jpg

I caught it in one of the feeder rivers near victoria point.

I haven't been fishing for perhaps 10 years so I can't remember what is what anymore (except the obvious like whiting, flathead etc.)

Cheers,
Brett

bballfisho
25-03-2007, 07:38 PM
mate,
thats a nice mangrove jack you've got there. they are pretty elusive and i would be pretty stoked to catch one myself.

hope you enjoy the site, your not wrong there is info on just about every aspect of fishing imaginable.
enjoy.

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Brett, welcome to the boards, I have not been here too long too, few weeks..Great board, with great advice, and alot of helpful fishers here..
I find it Tops..:)

Synful
25-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Brett,

As someone already pointed out, that be a Mangrove Jack and a damn fine eating and fighting fish it is too! I can guarantee that you would have known he was 'on'; these fish are the thugs of the estuaries. They are a pretty rare catch in Brisbane over the legal size, but common place here in FNQ.

Speaking of such, what was the size? Looks like he'd go between 30 and 40cm (minimum legal size 35cm) from the photo.

BrettA
25-03-2007, 09:21 PM
my guess is ~20cm, he was only a little one and we released him as such.

RCG008
25-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Thats what I like about this site. People say and do... Put fish back.

Yesterday we went Mackeral fishing and as boredom crept in I caught 2 Dart at 40cm and above on light gear. Just to pass time. But when you hear other people do it as habbit ,,,, I did. I kept em in a live well and thought they would fight another day. Nice .... I think as years pass by it will become force of habbit.

Nice Jack... Welcome back.... too fishing.