PDA

View Full Version : Large Yellow fin Tuna at Spitfire Channel

Giveitacrack
25-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Went to the Spitfire Channel on wed 21-3-07 to chase tuna and mackerel.Jigged the beacons but had no luck. Plenty of longtails and mack tuna busting up ,however they were not interested in any slugs.Decided to anchor up and sink and float some pillies.After a 20 mins or so my mate Simon got a hit. After pulling in other lines and the anchor a 40 minute fight followed chasing it with the boat when required. With about 5 metres of line to retrieve the line went slack and a pool of blood appeared.We did not see the shark but i think it was a tiger. He caught it on a 6-9kg rod (a cheapie with an old eggbeater) with 9kg mono rigged with a pillie. The fish would of been an easy 20kg without the bite out of it.The spottie was also caught on a pillie. Regards.

samson
25-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Longtail Tuna

vertico
25-03-2007, 07:19 PM
definately a longtail , they too have little yello fins but the yellow fin has actual yellow stripes

sleepygreg
26-03-2007, 01:22 AM
and more like 10kg than 20kg......have a look at my pic.....that is an 8kg yellowfin i am holdin.

Greg

snapperm8
26-03-2007, 07:19 AM
well nice spottie anyway

cheers dave

Noelm
26-03-2007, 08:08 AM
20KG = large??? I don't think so! not from my neighbourhood anyway!

seapup
26-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Definitely A Longtail Mate... Bloody Sharks Always Spoil Your Fun!

BLOOEY
26-03-2007, 08:09 PM
12kilo longtail looks like mate sounds like ya mate did well landing it on the crappy gear.Those fellas find any weak spot,cracks in guides,line rollers not rolling etc.Sounds like a good day anyway Good on ya,Keep the posts up mate.

Giveitacrack
26-03-2007, 08:50 PM
[quote=not at work;595121]Went to the Spitfire Channel on wed 21-3-07 to chase tuna and mackerel.Jigged the beacons but had no luck. Plenty of longtails and mack tuna busting up ,however they were not interested in any slugs.Decided to anchor up and sink and float some pillies.After a 20 mins or so my mate Simon got a hit. After pulling in other lines and the anchor a 40 minute fight followed chasing it with the boat when required. With about 5 metres of line to retrieve the line went slack and a pool of blood appeared.We did not see the shark but i think it was a tiger. He caught it on a 6-9kg rod (a cheapie with an old eggbeater) with 9kg mono rigged with a pillie. The fish would of been an easy 20kg without the bite out of it.The spottie was also caught on a pillie. Regards.

Thanks to those for pointing out that it was a longtail.Having not caught or seen a yellowfin caught, i thought the little yellow dorsal fins meant it was a yellowfin.Anyway when the weather allows i will be back for more. Thanks