PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Baggage Limits

MickS
25-03-2007, 05:21 PM
G'Day all

I'm in holiday mode at the moment, just got back from the Whitsundays, and now off to Weipa...yahoooo

However when I checked into my Jetstar flight from Brisbane to the Whitsundays I was greeted by the check in lady saying"you wont get that on the flight" referring to my 2.2 metre rod holder, and when I asked how I get the rods up north she gave me that not my problem look. I'm over Jetstar. Lucky I had friends flying Virgin, and my rods made the trip north, and all was good.

Jetstar will not let you take anything over 2 metres as they now place their baggage in containers (being 2 metres), or so the lady at check in told me.

Jetstar require all rods to be in a rod holder, which makes sense, just keep it under the magic limit if flying Jetstar.

Cheers

MickS

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Thats unreal..Good job you got them all there ok.

BR65
25-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mick for the tip,
I have just knocked 50mm off my rod tube to come in at 1950mm, I have also heard that security wont let you have reels in your carry on bag, something to do with the line being a potential weapon??
cheers
Brian

BilgeBoy
25-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Arrrgghhh Good old Jet star

Were the fares are low so we can kill you with extra's. That's a surprise to me that they didn't let you take it on somehow. They usually jump at the op to charge you for something excess baggage etc. Every time I fly with them...It would have been cheaper to fly first class on another carrier;D;D;D

BilgeBoy

Fish Guts
25-03-2007, 08:12 PM
thanks for the heads up

Barraless
25-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I hat jetstar with passion they are probably not as bad now that you get seat allocations but still Virgin or Qantas or hopefully soon TIGER

upstart
25-03-2007, 09:15 PM
g'day Mick. when in Weipa say g'day to Owen and Bob, the DPI Fisheries inspectors. They are a good couple of fellas and Owen can point you in the direction of some fish. I'm heading up there in September. Flying QANTAS from Cairns. Cheers mate, Ben.

RCG008
25-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks MICKS for the heads up... As most of us take fishing gear O/S or interstate its the little things that give us the .... you know...

Will defintiley take the info on board. It is reel handy... Time to shorten a rod carrier.

Noelm
26-03-2007, 09:00 AM
I have done a lot of 'fishing gear travel" and trust me Qantas will do anything for you, Jetstar (kind of the same airline) will not help with anything, and almost don't even care if you get on or not! BUT remember, they are cheap, and if you want cheap you do not get service, so remember that when traveling, buying stuff from a Supermarket, servicing your motor whatever, it is is cheaper for a reason.

Custaro
26-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I have 2.2m rod tube and have flow jetstar twice with it. You have to check-in really early. They use those cargo hold boxes which are the problem. If they put it in first on angle they can do it. Tell em I said so ;D .

Virgin are great. I recently flew to Rocky with checked in tube, big tackle box and a bag. I had over 30kg of gear. Out of brisbane they let me go without any trouble because the flight was half full. Coming back it was only $20. Can't complain.

Qantas a pretentious pricks. I rocked up to Qantas check-in at Rocky once and the bloke said, "Sir, sure your not flying Jetstar?"

LeeannP
26-03-2007, 01:22 PM
I have 2.2m rod tube and have flow jetstar twice with it. You have to check-in really early. They use those cargo hold boxes which are the problem. If they put it in first on angle they can do it. Tell em I said so ;D .

Make sure you check next time because you probably won't get the tube on again if it's over 2m. They will usually tell you to freight your oversized luggage through Australian Air Express. More $$$$$$$$$$$$$.... same with surfboards....

Apparently the change only came in a couple of months ago. I must admit that i'd never fly with them again unless totally and utterly desperate ;D Check before flying to see what you can and can't take.

With regards reels, i think it depends if you are skilled enough to sweet talk security or not. I've been pulled up only the once and gave a wink and got through ;) ;D

kingtin
26-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I've been pulled up only the once and gave a wink and got through ;) ;D

Phew! I mis-read that first time round :-X :-[ ;) ;D

kev