PDA

View Full Version : Busted

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 05:18 PM
A Taiwanese illegal fishing vessel was caught in our waters , they got brought in today to Brisbane and are being detaned, caught red handed with fins, marlin, swordfish ETC , doesn it make your blood boil, prolly already slaughtered many.. $125,000 thousand dollar fine I think, hope they throw the bloomin book at them.
>:( What ever made them think they could escape our water patrols..::)

Barraless
25-03-2007, 08:04 PM
take their boat off them too! the boat I think looked ok too!

Kleyny
25-03-2007, 08:10 PM
do you really think their gunna pay the fine????
Aussie Fines only are for people who live by our laws.

Synful
25-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I know the "bleeding heart groups" won't agree (donning asbestos lined suit now) but I think the Navy should be able to user these ba$t@5ds as target practice.

This solution doesn't tie up the legal system and the "collateral damage" won't be using our tax payer dollars in keeping them in a better life in prison than they have in their own country.

Only take a few of them sunk to make the morons sending them think twice; doesn't matter where in the world your are, boats aren't cheap...

Bob H
25-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I know the "bleeding heart groups" won't agree (donning asbestos lined suit now) but I think the Navy should be able to user these ba$t@5ds as target practice.

This solution doesn't tie up the legal system and the "collateral damage" won't be using our tax payer dollars in keeping them in a better life in prison than they have in their own country.

Only take a few of them sunk to make the morons sending them think twice; doesn't matter where in the world your are, boats aren't cheap...

totally agree with you mate,wonder what their navy would do ? bob h

TIMMY 666
25-03-2007, 09:05 PM

I agree too. Those sh**heads really p*ss me off. >:(

Tim.

Synful
25-03-2007, 09:09 PM
totally agree with you mate,wonder what their navy would do ? bob h

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately that scenario would come into play I fear; difference is that we don't poach their waters...

On the other hand, it could be interesting, do you think that for arguments sake the Indonesian Navy would send warships into Australian waters to protect their illegal fishermen?

Not that I endorse Americas role of "global policeman"; but I hazard that you would see one or two American warships turn up pretty quick to "deal with the situation" if an Aussie Naval ship came under fire.

Even without the Americans, I think it would be a brave and foolhardy commander who tried that.

RCG008
25-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Its all happening.

At least there catching something (The patrols that is) cause i wasted a solid 6 hours of my life yesterday catching 10 kg of bait.... Just kidding. Any time spent on the ocean is worth every cent!

The same as every cent spent in Tax chasing the *&&*$$*)(%$ that try to (&%$# for everyone do. Nice Catch QLD... Top marks and keep it going.

thargor
25-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe they could plead that their GPS was inaccurate and they thought they were in international waters.

big moose
25-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm with the blow em out of the water theory a few extra artificial reefs would not go astray.8-)

Tezza@Tannum
26-03-2007, 12:25 AM
They were probly long-lineing too.
What will happen to their illegal catch?
Tezza.

ShaneC
26-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Synful,
Love your theory mate, bullets are cheaper than putting them in jail cells. Collectively they probably have about $37 between them so the fine is pointless and the actions being taken are not deterring these folk from raping our waters. Only one thing is louder than firing a 50 cal and thats being fired at by a 50 cal. Let em have it!!!!!! Those who dont like it can go hug a tree..... my soapbox is ready to break because I have been standing on it too long.... I hope I havent offended anyone, but a more proactive and aggressive approach will deter people from poaching our waters so our kids kids can enjoy the same lifestyle we all hold so dear.

Shane

Tezza@Tannum
26-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Luv your way of thinking Shane
Tezza

finga
26-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Why have they (the blokes) been taken to the NT for trial??
What's wrong with Brisbane??
Use the empty vessel for target practise I say.

Chezzy13
26-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm with the blow em out of the water theory a few extra artificial reefs would not go astray

LOL @ That.. :)

rob tranter
26-03-2007, 12:11 PM
They were probly long-lineing too.
What will happen to their illegal catch?
Tezza.

The Catch is to be destroyed!

A waste to me, as the fish are already dead, why not sell it to recoupe some costs, or give them to some hungry fish eaters.

Anything but destroy it.

And then Nuke the B@$t@rds.

Rob8-)

disorderly
26-03-2007, 12:22 PM
The Catch is to be destroyed!

A waste to me, as the fish are already dead, why not sell it to recoupe some costs, or give them to some hungry fish eaters.

Anything but destroy it.

And then Nuke the B@$t@rds.

Rob8-)

I agree totally Rob.

The fish should be sold and the boat also.

I'm sure the Fisheries could use a few extra bucks.

cheers Scott

johnlikes2fish
26-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey instead of shooting them which will cost a couple of dollars why not stab them to death or we could just beat them to death, maybe we could use it as a fund raiser for fisheries $1 a stab or 50c for a punch or kick. Who wants to go first?

Phoenix
26-03-2007, 01:35 PM
This is exactly why we need a US style Coast Guard. I'd be willing to pay a fishing license if it helped fund such an organization. Today the navy has around 10 patrol boats operational - when during the 80's it was closer to 30.

Our defense is grossly underfunded.

kingtin
26-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey instead of shooting them which will cost a couple of dollars why not stab them to death or we could just beat them to death, maybe we could use it as a fund raiser for fisheries $1 a stab or 50c for a punch or kick. Who wants to go first?

Not me, I've just put a clean shirt on. Let me know when the blood dries up and I might consider sticking the odd boot in. ;D

kev

vb4me
26-03-2007, 05:22 PM
The big problem is our government is too weak. The countries where these illegal "fisherman" come from probably would sink the illegal fishers boat and then put them on trial whereas our government put them into a detention centre before deportation( bloody hotel and a free flight home). We need to toughen up to protect what our forefathers fought for which is the way of life we are accustomed to and enjoy every single day and to pass it on to our children.

Synful
26-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Synful,
Love your theory mate, bullets are cheaper than putting them in jail cells. Collectively they probably have about $37 between them so the fine is pointless and the actions being taken are not deterring these folk from raping our waters. Only one thing is louder than firing a 50 cal and thats being fired at by a 50 cal. Let em have it!!!!!! Those who dont like it can go hug a tree..... my soapbox is ready to break because I have been standing on it too long.... I hope I havent offended anyone, but a more proactive and aggressive approach will deter people from poaching our waters so our kids kids can enjoy the same lifestyle we all hold so dear.

Shane

Not wrong Shane!!

Mate, the way I see it if I don't offend at least one person a day I'm not doing my job ;D ;D

This country has had too many politically correct "wowsers" at the helm for too long, bring back the people who will "call a spade a spade" as far as I'm concerned.

How may times have we got to warn these idiots before they get the message?

Bob H
27-03-2007, 09:35 PM

me, me, me , bob h

Bob H
27-03-2007, 09:42 PM
This is exactly why we need a US style Coast Guard. I'd be willing to pay a fishing license if it helped fund such an organization. Today the navy has around 10 patrol boats operational - when during the 80's it was closer to 30.

Our defense is grossly underfunded.
i agree , but we dont have to pay for it ourselves, we could stop giving money to these countries, who by the way hate us anyway, and we could stop wasting money in our own country,giving grants and throwing money away ie sport ,arts ,and some others that cant be named?????for fear of upsetting people. would have enough to build a fence all the way round, and enough for 40-50 ships. bob h

el_carpo
28-03-2007, 02:59 AM
This thread has restored my faith in humanity. I knew I liked your country.

Of course, you know what would happen if you sunk them right? Your naval captain would be jailed and called murderer, your country would be "asked to pay reparations to the pirates' surviving family members, your UN representative would be making "sincerest appologies" for the "reckless actions" of the naval commander (they'd scapegoat him big time), and they'd probably condemn you for contributing to GLOBAL WARMING due to the fact that the machine guns used to sink them gave off heat!!!>:(>:(>:(

You don't even have to sink them. What should happen should be what you guys already have suggested. Confiscate their boats and their catch and sell them. Proceeds go to your navy or whatever and the bad guys get sent back home empty handed-- after performing community service in Australia to pay back to your country what they've STOLEN. Pick up trash along the roads, etc.

It will never happen of course. For some reason, treating bad guys like bad guys is condemned. Even calling bad guys, bad guys is not acceptable anymore.

You can always pay protection money, I suppose. You know, bribe them to stay away from your waters. The international community loves that sort of thing. You'd get the full support of the UN. They'd still tresspass and steal your fish but at least you could say you've done something about it---even though you haven't. ::)

Sure is refreshing to read that there are still some of us left in the world. I'm going to buy something Australian today. Probably more Bundaberg ginger beer. That stuff is GOOD!;D

A spade is a spade. I say we start our own UN. We'll meet on a fishing boat and solve everything drinking ginger beer.

Grand_Marlin
28-03-2007, 06:46 AM
G'day All,

The catch is kept as evidence, then disposed of.

The boats are stripped, then destroyed,

The skipper / company is charged and fined (normally just a pittance - the deterrant is losing their boat)

Nothing is sold from the boats, just destroyed. (this I dont agree with, but apparantly it is a quarantine thing for disease)

The indonesian are $hit scared of their navy, as if their own navy catches them, they literally beat the crap out of them.

They get treated with respect by our navy.

Keep in mind that most of them are actually pretty good blokes ... just doing a job ... albeit in our waters illegally.

Our navy does have the power to fire on these vessels to disable a rudder or engine - this is only a recent allowable act to stop the vessels from "doing a runner" which a lot of them do.

Most of the illegal fisherman have excellent electronics and they "tag" the navy patrol boats on the radar. If the boat comes towards them, they run for cover outside the exclusion zones.
When on patrol (northern australia, the navy boat sees heaps of these illegal fishing boats sitting right on the exclusion zone line ... again, just waiting for the navy to go - then start fishing. Apparantly a lot of the reefs they fish are just inside the exclusion zone.

Clever little buggers ....

Cheers

Pete

kingtin
28-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Clever little buggers ....

Cheers

Pete

All clever little buggers come unstuck eventually. When they get to thinking they're particularly clever, that's when they slip up on the simplest of things.

But I agree with you Pete, most of them (crew) are just trying to survive. It's the skippers and owners who should take a hammering.

kev

Dirtysanchez
28-03-2007, 09:31 AM
I recently watched a show on Fox about piracy, in particular in the Mallacca straights, and I would suggest to all of you the reason why the Indonesian navy doesn't get involved in stopping illegal activities like this, or people smuggling, is because they are often behind it.. They are an extremely corrupt mob, right through to their government.

The show saaid that often it is the Navy who tips off the pirates of valuable cargo's going through the straights, so perhaps they are behind the illegal fishing too, maybe they want these blokes to come back with full cargo's so they get a cut of the proceeds ?

By the way, their Navy is r@@ted, probably 50+% of their boats are out of service or beyond repair.

Russell

JewseeTHAT
28-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Typical of the wasteful attitude of our government, where taxpayer money grows on trees and they want for nothing. Why not give the fish, after proper testing to ensure it is safe for human consumption, to the many organisations that feed the homeless and less fortunate in this country? What is so hard about sinking the ship in a place where it will make a nice recreational fishing reef?
Oops, my mistake, had a moment of common sense. I'll be right after a few hours of reading the Hansard of parliament question time to get my head together.

el_carpo
28-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Great idea JewseeTHAT! I'm sure the homeless shelters could use it. Kill three birds with one stone too. 1. stop the crime, 2. improve the environment and fishery and 3. feed the needy. Very smart! You should run for mayor--of Chicago! I'd vote for you.

kingtin
28-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Typical of the wasteful attitude of our government, where taxpayer money grows on trees and they want for nothing. Why not give the fish, after proper testing to ensure it is safe for human consumption, to the many organisations that feed the homeless and less fortunate in this country? <snip>

Oops, my mistake, had a moment of common sense.

How dare you apply common sense to politics! ;D The next thing you will be telling us is that you didn't realise that you had 76 portfolios of shares in the homeless industry ;) ;D

kev

kingtin
28-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Great idea JewseeTHAT! I'm sure the homeless shelters could use it. Kill three birds with one stone too. 1. stop the crime, 2. improve the environment and fishery and 3. feed the needy. Very smart! You should run for mayor--of Chicago! I'd vote for you.

Are you gonna pay his plane fare? ;D

kev

el_carpo
28-03-2007, 10:33 AM
No, but I would help him to grow his homeless-industry portfolio. How about this? Designer street signs. If our economy continues as it is, this could be big!;D;D;D

tigermullet
28-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Perhaps we could get them to sing, 'The Good Ship Lollipop', and the first of them to sing 'Rorripop' gets to swim home.;D

Grand_Marlin
28-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind that most of the fish taken is not refrigerated or iced down ...

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 04:40 PM
We need a sub, preferably not one Australain made, apart from them breaking our rules the damage to the resource they do is pretty minimal in any extent, so to me at least- cat and mouse games increase our GDP do not damage the economy or the economys future nor the resource and is illegal.

The status quo is OK so is burning their ships and deporting them it's not as if they actually caused tangible harm, if they were also doing shore raids on the populace then go them till they drip.

cheers fnq

Sea-Dog
30-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey El-Carpo,

Isn't the guy in that picture, Rupert from "Survivor"?

Poodroo
31-03-2007, 06:16 AM
I like the blowing them out of the water idea however hostility generally results in a counter attack which is what constitutes wars. I kind would like to stick to the blow them out of the water idea but do it in a stealthy way. Send some divers with explosives below them and attach the explosives to the bottom of their hull and then KABOOM!. This way if anybody asks the standard answer could be "They must have hit a reef and sunk!" ;)

Poodroo

Flex
31-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Funny enough the fisheries mob who patrol these waters do not have authority to fire upon any vessel unless it is fired upon itself. Even though they have a heap of weaponry onboard.

Did anyone watch that 60 minute episode where that Indonesian fishing vessel held off a patrol boat for days on end only using sharp bamboo sticks? the Indonesians eventually made it back to international waters after a 2-3 day chase. The Aussie patrol boat had a ton of guns etc,a swat team and all. But because of our legislation they are not allowed to fire at other boat occupants to make them stop.

Where the Navy is allowed to by law, but its not their job to stop illegal fisherman.

el_carpo
31-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey El-Carpo,

Isn't the guy in that picture, Rupert from "Survivor"?

;D;D;D You've got a good eye Sea-Dog! That does look like old Rupert! If it isn't him, it could be a relative of his.

Maybe they genetically engineer Rupert clones on one of those Islands they send those knuckleheads to on "Survivor". Some secret, sinister plot. Then again, they could just both be from Missouri. Most Missourians look very similar for some reason:-X and a lot like that. Trust me, I've been there, I've seen what horrors lie beyond the Mississippi River! Nothing but Cardinal-cheering (baseball team) Ruperts as far as the eye can see! :o

Go Cubs! Take THAT St. Louis!

.......and now something back on topic ;D Maybe your navy could use RF or microwave weapons on their vessels? No risk of loss of life and their vessel would have a hard time escaping with their circuitry fried. I think it would kill their motors and I know it would wreck their radar equipment. Held off with bamboo spikes? I bet your captain was ready to explode with frustration.