PDA

View Full Version : Where's the water coming from??

Scalem
25-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Apparently more people suffer from the following than I realize, but that doesn't put my mind at ease at all.

These last few months I have been noticing that the sub floor ( bottom) bung, when removed after a trip out, has what is probably the equivalent of one or two buckets of water in there. Thinking that maybe I was in need of new bung washers, I have now replaced two sets of bungs, including the bung plastic hole that the bung screws into, with no difference.

I suspected the bottom two engine bolts and washers that hold the motor onto the transom may need reseating, so they have been removed, new silastic by the tonne applied, and put back together - no difference!!>:(

Being a glass boat, I fear the worste, and I will have water coming in somewhere at the transom, so it will be time to check the transducer screws etc. The hull is the old 4.3mtr glass mustang runabout, and has served me well, I am just not in the mood to be replacing transoms again when she is probably only worth 1 or 2K.

What I want to hear is my finance director ( wife) say - don't stuff around, go and buy that new trailcraft 4.85 you have been dreaming about, the 70 HP Jonno would be perfect for that hull... But that's just it, I'm dreaming and I can see me borrowing someones engine hoist to lift the engine off to see what's going on!!

Any views?

Scalem

davez104
25-03-2007, 03:47 PM
How tight do you do your bungs up? I replaced mine recently and unless I do them up really tight with pliers, they let heaps of water in. Could just be an issue with my sockets that the bung screws in to, but when they are screwed in as tight as I can by hand, you can see that the washer is not square with the bung socket.

Hope it is something simple and you get the problem sorted quickly.

Dave.

FNQCairns
25-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Scalem, I would have bet it was your lower engine mount bolts as the next most likely.

Try this, grab big bag of salt mix it up into a couple of big buckets of water really really concentrated, add a full bottle of red food colouring or two, pour all this into your underfloor hull area (you have access??) then add the Garden hose until there is enough water to get a result from the leak and the red dye.

Depending you may want to chock your trailer front middle/back to save problems, guarantee you will find the problem if the tide inside the boat is high enough to reach it.

cheers fnq

Sea-Dog
25-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Have you tried putting in the bungs and bucketing in some water to see where it comes out.

I tried this recently to find where several buckets of water per half hour, were getting into my very second-hand boat. :(

I'm glad I fitted a bilge pump.

I filled both above floor and below floor areas with water when boat was on trailer, and found that a fair amount of water was coming from behind the transducer mount.

The person that previously owned the boat had moved the transducer mount up a few Cm.

Unfortunately, they didnt fill the previous holes that had been drilled all the way through the transom.

Two 4mm holes below the waterline DO let in quite a lot of water.

Out with the caulking gun - a couple of squirts into the offending holes and problem solved.

Now the amount of water that comes from the bilge at the end of the day, would only put a couple of Cm in the bottom of a cup.

Total cost - about 5 cents worth of sealing compound, and about 10 minutes work. :)

Sea-Dog

Roughasguts
25-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah My bottom under floor cavity takes on about a bucket of water in 10-12 hours.

It's got me completely stuffed, new bungs, thread tape on the bungs, spent hours under the boat filling every scratch. Even found a big hole under the first roller, even put some two part clear on the hair line cracks on the strakes.

Made no differance, seems to be comming in under a lot of pressure so filling with the hose didn't get a drop.

Guess just going to have to wait till she gets much worse and I can find it, might even think about those self draining bungs, that suck out the water when under way. Anyone know what there like.

Hamish73
25-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Is a bucket of water in 12 hrs worth worrying about? I know it's a good excuse to get a new hull, but if the mrs won't buy that story I wouldnt be too concerned about it, especially if its an old boat that isnt worth spending $$$ on.

edit. If you are really keen on finding the leak, the water and dye method with slight air pressure (assume the leaking section is sealed?) will work. a hand operated pump and air pressure guage would be advised to prevent further damage.

finga
25-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey Brian, I have an engine lifter you can borrow :)
FNQCairns has a good idea to fing where the leak is.
I'll have to ring Leslie and warn her about your thoughts.
:)

Kerry
25-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Have you got a pitot tube type speedo on this boat?

Scalem
25-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Have you got a pitot tube type speedo on this boat?

Kerry, Yes I do!! That's the old type of speedo that has a finn that drags in the water, and the finn has a tiny tube designed to exert pressure up a tube that runs all the way back to the dash mounted speedo. It's a vaccume in reverse, but because it still works, I figured there's no problem here. What are you suggesting? I hope its this and something really simple.

All the other replies are tops, Geez I love this site, there's always heaps of help when you need it!!:tekst-toppie: Roughasguts, stay with this thread mate, we might find the answer to your water problem is the same as mine, who knows, but it's not a real comforting thought that you are taking on water is it? I want this sorted before the river to Mud comp where I might convince the owner of a bigger boat to be my mothership where I can dock alongside her overnight and have a Kip there. Would be nice to find my boat has not become an anchor while sleeping::)

Scalem

dicko1980
25-03-2007, 09:45 PM
With my Hooker I was experiencing a problem with taking on water in the bottom of my hull below the waterline where the two bottom bungs are as per picture, This by the way is suppose to be watertight. I resealed the bungs and changed out the plastic washers for o-rings but still no success. In the end I stuck a hose up the bottom bungs and filled the compartment with water till eventually it came bubbling out the front seat spigot. This is no longer an issue anymore as I have the seat post out and reglassed the floor as the esky now sit's here in the centre. The fibreglasser who did the work reckons it happens all the time as these seat mounts are designed for tinnies not fibreglass boats. He also said it was one of the major causes of timber rot in glass boats. I was lucky as Hooker's are timber free.

Cheers
dicko1980

jimbo59
26-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I find sticking compressed air in the bung and then soapy water all the fittings.Don't put the garden hose in there.

Argle
26-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah My bottom under floor cavity takes on about a bucket of water in 10-12 hours.

It's got me completely stuffed, new bungs, thread tape on the bungs, spent hours under the boat filling every scratch. Even found a big hole under the first roller, even put some two part clear on the hair line cracks on the strakes.

Made no differance, seems to be comming in under a lot of pressure so filling with the hose didn't get a drop.

Guess just going to have to wait till she gets much worse and I can find it, might even think about those self draining bungs, that suck out the water when under way. Anyone know what there like.

Where is your bilge pump outlet located? Mine is actually below the gunnel rubber on a 493F (probably the same on your 492) In certain seas or if the boat was sitting low in the bum (due to fat buggers fishing in the corners;D ) water was going into the bilge pump outlet and filling the boat with water. I fixed the problem with a one way valve fitted inline on the bilge pump hose, cost about $10 and now no more water:D

Might not be your problem but hey you never know!

Cheers and beers
Scott

Roughasguts
26-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks Argle, would never have thought of that! same spot my outlet.
But yeah I already have the one way valve.
Not a drop gets in under the engine well or floor on a dry day. It's the lower bung under floor cavity that some how sucks in the water.

I gave her a real hammering in a nasty chop one afternoon, (didn't have the kids) it leaked a little before that, but now got me thinking I split something.

rubba
26-03-2007, 02:46 PM
check hull for cracks and dirty water stains

blaze
26-03-2007, 03:24 PM
do u get water on the deck when this water gets in the subfloor, My thoughts are though that you will find a crack in the hull, maybe at about 2/3 along the boat from the rear end at a postion close to a bulkhead. Have a very close look up the keel line and along any chines. Go along the bottom of the boat a give it a fairly beefy sorta thump with a rubber hammer. 2 things you may find are a slight difference in sound and or as you thump it you will notice a wet patch devolop around the crack as it opens up ever so slightly.
cheers
blaze

Wayne_Red
26-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I take on water in the bottom of my 25 year old 445 haines, about a bucket in 6 hrs. Scratched my head and looked many times around bungs etc. I put the hose in fitting in the floor, made a cupper and sat a watched it for a while. 1/2 hour later water was dripping from a crack in the hull under the port stringer 3 ' from the stern. I had a soft stringer there that i replaced a year earlier and repaired the crack but it has opened again. Could not see it until i filled it with water. I will put up with i till winter.
I hope you find it, I understand your frustration. knowing where it is coming from is better than not knowing.
Regards Wayne

Dignity
27-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Go along the bottom of the boat a give it a fairly beefy sorta thump with a rubber hammer. 2 things you may find are a slight difference in sound and or as you thump it you will notice a wet patch devolop around the crack as it opens up ever so slightly.
cheers
blaze

Brother in law had similar problems with an old haines, found a split on port side forward of the bulkhead. Took us a long time to find it. We eventually found it by shining one of those million candle power torches underneath the hull at night and looking from within the cabin under the bunks, finally spotted the very thin crack, looked just like a scratch mark. Also found a surprising number of very thin spots in the gelcoat like small bubbles. This only works where you can actually see the hull from above.

Wish we knew about the rubber hammer trick though.

Mr__Bean
27-03-2007, 04:32 AM
That "Blue Loo" toilet stuff is another common dye method for finding boat leaks.

- Darren

Mad-One
27-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I had an old fibreglass boat and had the same problem. Found that from years of beaching and such it had worn the gelcote off the keel and with the boat underway was forcing water through fine holes in the exposed glass. Went over the keel with fibrefill and some paint problem solved. Hope this helps

Cheers Mad

karrier
27-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Had the same problem with my new boat, could not work out why I had so much water in after every trip. Took it to the dealer they could not find a leak but suggested putting vaso on the threads of the bungs. Did that and have not had a drop in for nearly 2 years, might be worth ago. I hope it is as simple as that for you.
Karrier

Scalem
27-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm.....

All your responses have got me thinking, and I definitely feel I am going get to the bottom of this ( no pun intended;D ) one way or another. Here's a stupid question, do you think that I should get my family gathered around the boat at strategic positions while I give the bung hole an almighty blow with my lips around the hole?? Yeah yeah.... I can see the ridicule coming already, you can have a laugh at my expense Finga, I know you will.;D ;D

I can trim the motor out of the way, fill the lungs up with air and blow my trumpet into the bung, maybe my family members will hear air escaping from somewhere that it should not. I think the floor is sealed well enough to be nearly air tight....and I won't have to borrow someone's air compressor... I would try it now, but the boat is in the dark and all my family are girls... say no more!! Might be a job for the weekend!!;)

Scalem

FNQCairns
27-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Scalem serious? If you were not It's a good chuckle :). If you were - what's plan 2!:)

LOL fnq

Roughasguts
27-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Scalem, yeah that's a great idea but how about you replace your gob with the vaccum cleaner on blow. (make a rubber seal for the end first) That won't make the boat explode surely.

Do the ol'e spray bottle trick with the detergent in it, might try that one me self, seems a fair bit safer.

Cloud_9
27-03-2007, 09:52 PM
do you have 1 of those floor spin outs for access to under floor??
they leak like a bugger.
my last boat cloud 9 had 1 in the back floor between the self drainers.
and when water washed over it some went through. .
another thought.
is the bung body sealed?
I've had 2 boats that have not been seal right from the factory.
1 had NO silcon at all and the other had none on the bottom half.
Cheers cloud 9

Scalem
27-03-2007, 11:07 PM
FNQ Cairns ;D ;D ;)

There's a method in my madness, I think my long day at work might have shown itself, plan 2 might be a little more realistic though::)

Roughasguts

I'll check our vacuum cleaners - One's a high powered VAX wet and dry, but I've never checked to see how to make it blow instead of suck. Maybe if I sucked over the bung and went around the hull looking for air noises with some detergent or water/ damp cloth.... that might work!! Food for thought.....

Cloud 9 - I've thought about putting an inspection plate in, and installing a sub floor bilge pump which will give me the peace of mind of knowing I can get rid of water if it happens to get there in the 1st place. The boat rides differently when I have a few litres down there, it seems harder to control with power trim and tilt. No, I don't have one as yet, but yes, I have used heaps of Silastic sealing it up 3 times now, including the actual bung - where vaseline was suggested.

It's a buggar isn't it!! If it wasn't for full time employment I'd be out there tomorrow doing it- and if the weather forecast improves for the weekend, I can't blow an invite to fish in someone else's boat can I? Decisions decisions!!;D

I'll see what transpires, but it's something that I will address very soon.

Scalem

finga
28-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm.....

do you think that I should get my family gathered around the boat at strategic positions while I give the bung hole an almighty blow with my lips around the hole?? Yeah yeah.... I can see the ridicule coming already, you can have a laugh at my expense Finga, I know you will.;D ;D

I can trim the motor out of the way, fill the lungs up with air and blow my trumpet into the bung, maybe my family members will hear air escaping from somewhere that it should not. I think the floor is sealed well enough to be nearly air tight....and I won't have to borrow someone's air compressor... I would try it now, but the boat is in the dark and all my family are girls... say no more!! Might be a job for the weekend!!;)

Scalem
Mate, Nothing funny about that.
A good idea really. I'll even come and have a gander (or listen) for the air coming out.
I'll even make an adapter that'll screw into the bung hole with a bit of hose on it if you know which size and thread the bung is. That'll be just so the neighbours don't get the wrong idea
Hint though...don't blow too hard. You'll black out or some air might come out your other end. :P
If the floor isn't air tight then that's where the water can be getting in.
Anything is worth trying isn't it??
Any arvo will be fine (as long as it isn't dark as my camera's video gismo doesn't work real good in the dark)
:)

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Be sure to let me know when it is going to happen. Perhaps I can get a cheer squad together to make the event more exciting when they chant "Blow Blow Blow!" :D A few beers, some snags on the BBQ and it just might be a pleasant arvo. Can't have too many people to listen for air escaping is my thought. ::) Just a question. Would would be easier, sucking or blowing?;D I think both would warrant a passing out!
Maybe with Scotty's smarts we could hook a hose up to the diesel Pajero's exhaust pipe and run it into the bung hole. When you hit the throttle it will send black soot through the hull and out of the leaky area perhaps??? ;)

Poodroo

Roughasguts
28-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Now you fella's are thinking, fill the hull with exhaust fumes then borrow a gas sniffer just happen to have 2 at work. Then start working around the boat with the sniffer, until the alarms go off.

Or could use a Canary, if you can't get a sniffer and wait till it falls off it's perch.

FNQCairns
28-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Funny! Probably not a real consern but make sure the guy who swept the hull during manufacture didn't leave the broom inside :).

What about a bike pump they give good pressure.

cheers fnq

blaze
28-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I know a boat builder that left an electric heater in a pontoon of a cat and had to recut the floor 3 months later after a complaint of noise.
My concern with water in the hull wont be the water as such but the damage it would start to do to things like bulkheads and stringers that havnt been glassed and then flow coated.
cheers
blaze

Roughasguts
28-03-2007, 01:00 PM
That's the part i'm worried about Blaze.
Who knows what damage the water will do to the stringers, or transom.

finga
28-03-2007, 01:03 PM
That's settled it then hasn't it.
Blaze and RAGS says fix it asap. Or better still NOW!! before the crap sets in.
I'm sure you don't want to go through the new floor and transom bit again do you Brian??
So......
I'll make a time and day seeing your slack Brian.
Saturday arvo at Brian's (AKA puffing Billy or big bad wolf) house around 4-4.30pm for everyone that knows where Brian lives and wants to help/learn.
Bring your own beer and chips.
All I need to know is what size bung hole you've got Brian.
We're going to find this leak. :)
Cheers Scott :)
PS If that time and place doesn't suit you Brian then change your plans.
PPS Make sure Kelly's boyfriend (is it Kelly or has Jess got a boy friend now as well??) is there. We'll sort him/them out at the same time ;D

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 05:15 PM
That's settled it then hasn't it.
Blaze and RAGS says fix it asap. Or better still NOW!! before the crap sets in.
I'm sure you don't want to go through the new floor and transom bit again do you Brian??
So......
I'll make a time and day seeing your slack Brian.
Saturday arvo at Brian's (AKA puffing Billy or big bad wolf) house around 4-4.30pm for everyone that knows where Brian lives and wants to help/learn.
Bring your own beer and chips.
All I need to know is what size bung hole you've got Brian.
We're going to find this leak. :)
Cheers Scott :)
PS If that time and place doesn't suit you Brian then change your plans.
PPS Make sure Kelly's boyfriend (is it Kelly or has Jess got a boy friend now as well??) is there. We'll sort him/them out at the same time ;D

Gee. This Saturday you say? One of the nephews is fishing with uncle Frank then and it isn't Brian. :P ;D

Poodroo

News just in: Fishing trip has been postponed. Apparently uncle Frank doesn't go out in 30 knot winds. :-/

jimbo59
28-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok ive got another idea so you got no compressor and you a bit funny about the nieghbours watching your face go red...........do you eat indian:-*

FNQCairns
28-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Lol :) :) :) :)

Scalem
28-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Well now let me think about it for a while will ya's;D ;D

Poodroo knows which weekend to skite about doing a trip on the HMAS Frankoo, you might be lucky enough to aim your trebble hook at the garage door handle, because that's where the boat will be anchored;D ;D

But I know which is the best weekend to T up a fish with T1, so I guess I am no better off either:(

Finga, is the big bad wolf coming around?? I guess I had better prepare for him then. ;) The bung hole is the standard smaller of the two you see around.

Scalem

finga
29-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Fine thread or course thread??
The big bad wolf is YOU (Brian) when you huff and puff and blow your boat up. :)
Don't forget about the girls boyfriends so we can sort them out as well :D

frankj
29-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Mate

I had a similar problem as you. Always had water to drain from the sub floor drain. After some headscratching it turned out to be the outbord well drainage tubes leaking water into the transom. Transom rotted down to the keel and water simply drained through into the cavity under the deck. Solution, new transom with what I believe is an improved design on all transom holes. Initially, I simply removed the drain tube bushes in the outboard well and found what appeared to be very wet paper mache in the transom.

See photos.

Cheers
Frank

Scalem
29-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Frank.

Nice work there mate - to be honest I suspect water has got into the transom similarly - but I always think worste case cenario in the hope that when the news is bad, it won't hurt as much:( This will be the boat's 2nd transom if that is the case, but the last time they put a good amount of glass in there, wrapping around the marine ply which is small by comparison. I hope I won't need to do anything immediately, the boat still seems strong enough.

I have attached the photo of the bung Scottie!!

Scalem

blaze
31-03-2007, 10:23 AM
wondering how the huffing and puffing is going, who is producing the most pressure, who has had the most curries.
Hope all goes well the the testing and no one come to any bodily harm
cheers
blaze
ps
hope no ones got that much wind they blow the boat apart

Scalem
31-03-2007, 12:51 PM
wondering how the huffing and puffing is going, who is producing the most pressure, who has had the most curries.
Hope all goes well the the testing and no one come to any bodily harm
cheers
blaze
ps
hope no ones got that much wind they blow the boat apart

I don't know yet Blaze, I have been trying Scottie's mobile but no answer. All welcome to wittness the huffin and puffin, but just don't stand behind me to see which way the hot air is blowing!!;D Not scheduled till later this pm I understand;)

Scalem

PS

Scottie has been, only I had better explain BEFORE he gets a chance to add to the post. Here's a chance for a stir thinks Finga - he rocks up with both a digital camera and a digital video. Would you smell a rat if a mate turns up with both??::) So what happens now? Start blowin' he says. But why did you want me to say what type of thread I had in the bungs, weren't you going to make something?? Oh well, so I start blowing into the hole. And guess what? It wasn't such a dumb idea, because I managed to get a pound or so of pressure into the hull and I could hear air escaping from the top bung hole. That was a little strange, but more on that later.

So we armed the girls with spray bottles that had detergent/water so that any air escaping would form bubbles over the escaping air. We crawled under the boat, and could not find anything, except one crack in the floor where a screw was originally placed to fasten the floor into one of the stringers, and air escaping at the top bung hole.... we say it again, "How Bizzaar"

So by now Scottie has had a chance to snap a few photos and roll some video, he says, "Brian, try this" as he passes over a piece of well engineered piping into bung with a connector on the end of it. Looked like a reasonable mouthpiece, at least I won't have to bend down as far, but after the 1st try, I am convinced that the narrow pipe is too restrictive, and I am better off blowing the bugle into the bung hole by mouth. Then he says, Brian, follow me. He leads me down to the car and opens the tailgate. What's in there?? A portable compressor!!!;D ;D Good onya Scottie, what a good mate you turned out to be!!;D

After running the compressor, we could again hear lots of air escaping from the top bung hole, so I jumped into the boat to see what I could find by sticking my head down underneath...... Aha! There's the problem! The top bung hole was not sealing properly, and there was a gap/crack between the transom and the floor. The crack does not seem to be part of the transom as it is too far forward, but still part of the bung hole, so the water was coming in through the top bung, dribbling into the crack, and down into the sub floor compartment. We've sealed it with Epoxy and tomorrow I will seal the top bung again with sikaflex or silastic.

The verdict - not as serious as I thought, and the new boat may be on hold for a few years yet!

The photos show the back is a little messy still, I ran out of black silastic and now using clear, showing residue black through it - to be tidied up later, and soapy water which has dried on the transom. The different colour flowcoat is also a little embarrassingly shoddy, but I had to seal that in a hurry after a slight mishap on the boatramp a few weeks ago, where I was avoiding sinking the hubs which didn't have bearing buddies yet, but that's another story.
Thanks for your help Finga!!

Scalem

blaze
31-03-2007, 09:59 PM
good to see a task come together without loss of life and /or serius injury and the boat appears to be in one peice (so no curry for tea?) :)
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
31-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Well that's a relief. For a change it wasn't a major problem. Nice to know that sometimes boat problems don't always end up in big dollar outlay.

Poodroo

finga
01-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Ya, when I finish with Marlin Mikes boat today the REAL report on how Brian blow his boat up is going to happen.
I need a bit of time for this :D

Poodroo
01-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Regardless of what Brian calls himself on Ausfish I get the impression he is also going to be known as The Big Bad Wolf from this day forth.::) Can't wait to see the "real" report Scotty. :P

Poodroo

finga
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Well I have finally got around to doing the REAL report.
But bugger me Brian must have got to the camera because the video is gone and only one picture is left...and that's a picture of his blushing bride Lesley.
Well I went around and Brian was actually amased I turn up....ye of little faith..

After I cracked the first light stubbie I told Brian we better get into it.
So out we all went.
The 2 girls were aimed with the soapy water spray bottles, Lesley with the stills camera and myself with the video :)

Brian....Didn't you make something to screw into the bunghole for me to blow into??
Me....NO!!
Brian...why did you want to know the bung hole size then??
Me....To see if your gob could fit over the hole...dah.
Brian...So I have to get down and blow in the hole??
Me...Yep. Kiss the bum of your boat and blow.
Brian....grunt...groan (as he gets on all fours in front of the bung hole)
Brian.... Poooof...Pooooof...Pooof....wheeze. :)
Lesley (to me)...your loving this aren't you??
Me...yep.
Lesley...Did you make something for him to blow into??
Me...yep :)
Brian....Poooof....pooof (whilst the girls are kinda giggling and puffing soapy water about).
Me...Hey Brian will this make it easier.(pulling an adapter to screw into the bunghole so at least Brian isn't kissing the transom).
Brain...screw, screw....pooof....pooof...wheeze
Me (after about 5 minutes)...Brian, I've had enough of this caper. Follow me down to Wally. (if you know Brian's driveway you'd understand when I say down)
Brian....You bugger. You've got something else haven't you (whilst puffing and kinda wheezing).
A couple of minutes later we get the compressor and another gismo I made up the driveway.
So after we get everything set up it took about 3 minutes to find the leak. We didn't need the soapy water. Brian just had to follow the noise (the noise was a bit like Brian's wheezing ;D )

I made a gismo that will plug into the compressor, screw into the hull as well as tell how much pressure is in the hull.
The well being of the hull was a priority so I put a pressure regulator on it so we could start at 1psi and work our way up (if we had too) and also a fail safe just incase (actually that was a 1/4" hole Brian had to hold his finger over.
As it turned out the leak was so bad it couldn't hold 1 psi. :(
Here's the gismo

I'm really peeved the video and pictures are gone because it was really funny watching Brian trying to blow his boat up.
I'm sure everybody else would have thought so too.

davez104
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
So where was the leak??

Dave.

finga
12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
They never sealed the bunghole for the floor when they put a new transom and floor in.
Water was going down between the fiberglass and the timber in the transom where they drilled the hole.
Poor form really.

davez104
12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Thats just lovely that is.

Dave.

Marlin_Mike
13-04-2007, 05:17 AM
hahahaha ya gotta find that video and post it Finga..................... thats ****ing hilarious.......:)

blaze
13-04-2007, 05:22 AM
priceless is probable an understatement. Got a good mental pic
cheers
blaze

PinHead
13-04-2007, 05:56 AM
The visuals I am having are unbelievable

finga
13-04-2007, 06:17 AM
I just wished there were more people and some more beer to witness it.
Mike, the visual aids are gone. :'(
Thinking back Brian DID bring my cameras to me at the end. :huh:
I forgot to mention...In all it was only a 3 stubby job.
It's a shame I don't drink very much because I could have turned it into easily a slab job. As it was I drank Brian's stubby whilst he was wheezing.
Sssh...Don't tell him though ;D

PS it was a nice afternoon...for me 8-)

Poodroo
13-04-2007, 06:50 AM
By the way, I did go with Brian last weekend to catch some prawns and he was mighty pleased when we got the boat out of the water and I undid the bottom bung and she was bone dry in there. Just means that the old Mustang will do him for a bit longer and his dearest wifey can breathe easier knowing that she doesn't have to authorize the new boat just yet.

Poodroo

Dignity
13-04-2007, 05:47 PM
there must be some IT guys out there that can restore the file - I thought only the 1st character of the file was changed and you could restore it in an instant with the right software

finga
13-04-2007, 06:05 PM
there must be some IT guys out there that can restore the file - I thought only the 1st character of the file was changed and you could restore it in an instant with the right software
Sorry mate. The cooks into that IT mumbo-jumbo and it's gooone :-[

Dignity
14-04-2007, 08:47 AM
how about a reconstruction - give you a chance to sink a few more beers - especially if you have do retake after retake

finga
14-04-2007, 09:07 AM
how about a reconstruction - give you a chance to sink a few more beers - especially if you have do retake after retake
I'd love nothing more then to be able to do that.
But alas, I think Brian has cottoned onto the idea that I was taking the mickey out of him and he was my amusement for the arvo.
Lucky we don't take life very seriously eh Brian ;)
Who else has a leaky boat?? ;D

blaze
14-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Finga
Mine little tinnie leaks, gets water in it. Has no floor so the water is easily seen. Problem being it only seems to happen when it p*sses down with rain. Now I'm sure with your expertise with making gadgets, between us we could nearly have the brains to work out where its getting in, most likely take an ale or 3 to lubricate the brain to get it to funtion at its full potential
cheers
blaze

finga
14-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Blaze mate, for that you'd better bring the tinny and I'll supply the ale.
Might take a while but I reckon the problem could be nutted out ;)
Air fares are cheep to Tassie ATM. I just slip down in a couple of weeks and sort it for you eh :)