PDA

View Full Version : Nailed my First Waahhoooooo! Today 25/03/07 - now with pics

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 03:29 PM
As the title suggests I managed to nail my first Wahoooooooooooo today ;D at Hutchies. Report to follow once I get my hands on the pics.

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:01 PM
The call to arms came at about 1pm on Friday for a trip out with fellow Ausfisher JustOneMore – JOM for short for this post and a fellow work collogue. Being keen to get out on my own rig on Sunday I had both deckies pull out so why not !
With a start at 4:30 am at Scarborough boat ramp both deckies were there waiting there in anticipation at the ramp. The only drama was the late start by the skipper ! 45 mins late ! We really didn’t have much say because with no boat there wasn’t any fishing to be had ! ::)

After a quick run across a bit lumpy bay to some beacons off Moreton we soon loaded up on livies. JOBS ON Here ! Off too Hutchies we went.

Arriving at Hutchies we proceeded to troll dead baits at about 2.5 knts. It was a bit quite for the first hour and then JOM said look at the bait on the sounder ! “I recon in the next 60 seconds we should get a hit ! Not more than 30 seconds after JOM said that …. Zzzzzzzzz……. on the down rigger then nothing ????? Seems a tackle malfunction was to blame with a 40cm tailor on the tow down about at a depth of 8m ! :-[

A big bugger went out !

Another hour went past when ?????
My rod had been sitting there towing a dead gar bait when I just happen to look at my rod ! I thought “ I might be on here” (no noise from the ratchet) but the rod tip started moving back and forward ! Yep that has to be a fish ! I thought. So I struggled to get the safety line off and when I did Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !! Where on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ;D

The sound of a fish on after 2hrs of trolling is panic stations ! The first run was awesome, what is it ? Got to luv that first run ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! After about 2 mins with the adrenaline pumping and one trip around the boat finally I saw colour ! Yes I thought ! Get the gaff ! JOM was there but with a bloody under water camera ! ::) I’m thinking “get the gaff, not a damm camera !” ;D
One swift swing from the gaff from JOM saw my first Waahhooooo on board and as you do, a big Wwaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooo, went out ! ;D ;D ;D

After that things shut down, we tried trolling baits, lives and spinning around the beacons even the long tails were shy ! We would pull up to a school only to see them disappear and appear 100m where we had just come from !
Even though we only boated one fish for the day A big thanks to JOM for my first Wwaaaahoooooo !

Pics to follow !

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Where on ! ;D

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Get the bloody gaff ! ;D

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:17 PM
The result ! Thanks a million JOM !! ;) ;D ;D ;D

philip_thomson
25-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Congrats Damo on the First Wahoo

pitty those lures didn't produce the fish though

hopefully there will be many more to come

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Phil,

I didn't even get a chance to try thoses lures. JOM rigged up such a good dead bait I couldn't complain ! ;) The things you learn from fellow Ausfish members is priceless !

Poodroo
25-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Great stuff Damo. Almost as thrilling as running up big washout hills huh? Congrats on your first wahoo.

Poodroo

Black_Rat
25-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Great stuff Damo. Almost as thrilling as running up big washout hills huh? Congrats on your first wahoo.

Poodroo

Mate it is on par ;D I luv doing anything that gives you a rush !! ;D ;D ;D

Silent
26-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Good report...and congrat's for first Wahoo...
I haven't nail one yet on JOM's boat...(JOM you know I have to try be patience at long trolling...;D )
Hey what sort underwater camera?

Spectre
26-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Nice Hoo there mate..

We fished Hutchies Sat ....trolled for miles around the place & only managed 1 mac tuna !!!

A couple of strikes, but no other hook-ups...bugger

kingtin
26-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Congratulations Damo.

Mate, what's that land mass in the background of the pic? Looks nothing like Moreton from Hutchies as it seems too far away..........or is that just the perspective of the camera lens?

kev

Spectre
26-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice Hoo there mate....

We fished Hutchies Sat (with many other boats)....trolled for miles around the place with a bunch of different lures etc etc & only managed 1 mac tuna !!!

A couple of strikes, but no other hook-ups.....bugger.

Always next time tho....!!!

Cheers
Phil

Tangles
26-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Great report and piccies especially the underwater one... now i bet that was fun

mike

JustOneMore
26-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Once again Damo, congrats on your first hoo. It put up a good fight and that first run was a screamer!!! Too bad i didn't get more underwater photo's, but you two were starting to freak out.:P

In hind-sight, i wish we stayed over those bait balls longer and maybe dropped down a couple of livies. Too bad cameron couldn't keep the other fish on the line;D ::) , or we would have had two in the bag.

Give us a yell next time and we'll tag along, always good to have another boat out there.

JOM

oddbudman
27-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Underwater camera looks the goods JOM. I sure hope the gaffing performance was better than the day we had on the spotties.

oddbudman

Black_Rat
27-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Congratulations Damo.

Mate, what's that land mass in the background of the pic? Looks nothing like Moreton from Hutchies as it seems too far away..........or is that just the perspective of the camera lens?

kev

Kev,

I thought we were at Hutchies :-/ ::) JOM might be able to conifrm this. (PS JOM: did you mark that bait ball on the GPS ;D )

I'm definately keen to head out again on my boat and give dead bait trolling a go.

I'll need to get a chart :-X so I don't run into that bloody big rock ! Given I only have those cheep plastic rod holders it looks like i'll be upgrading to metal ones for trolling.

not_drowning_wavin
29-03-2007, 12:38 PM
JOM

Once again, if your knots were better, i would have no problem keeping that fish on the line!!!!;D Shame we never got to see what smashed that tailor on the down rigger. Oh well, there's always next time, and that's what keeps us going back for more.

Congrats on the first hoo Damo, special bonus it even hit your rod.

Cameron

not_drowning_wavin
29-03-2007, 12:40 PM
JOM.........and i would like to correct Damo, it was much closer to an HOUR late!!!;)

Black_Rat
29-03-2007, 05:34 PM
;D the truth is out there .......... :alien: :-X

roz
30-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Congratulations Damo,

Always nice to get that first one into the boat, as it usually breaks the drought.

So, well done & looking for more of the same from you.

r.

murf
02-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Top stuff Damo on the first Hoo

I am jealous as I am yet to catch one

Cheers Murf