PDA

View Full Version : Post your Haines V17 pics

davez104
25-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to see everyones old Haines V17's, doesnt matter if it's a R, C or an L, but I reckon the L is one of the best looking 17 footers ever built ;) Also interested to see how others make use of the space inside the boats for fishing accesories, rod holders, canopies etc etc. Here is mine, V17L, 135 Merc Black Max.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/DSCF0375.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/000135.jpg

Cheapo home made bait board, I eventually want to replace this, or get build it a bit stronger as the rod holders are a bit flimsy. As it is, it works pretty well, the board is big enough without taking up too much room, and the trailer light board slots straight in to the rod holders for the trip home.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/000120.jpg

Look forward to seeing some more V17's.

Thanks.
Dave.

mowerman
25-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice rig

Ive just bought a 17c. Will pick it up next week.

Ill post some pics when I get the chance..

davez104
25-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Look forward to seeing the pics. Would also be intrested to hear how much fuel you carry in your V17's. I've got 70 Litres under the floor and 50 Litres up between the bunks. I've heard of some people having 200+ Litres on board and was wondering how much you can actually get under the floor.

Thanks.
Dave.

shubeej
26-03-2007, 05:15 PM
hi dave , used to own a 17l & had 115 suzuki on back & fuel tank underfloor was 120 litres .boy i miss that boat
cheers shubeej

snave15
26-03-2007, 07:48 PM
heres mine v17l 150 black max

davez104
26-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Nice looking ride there Snave15. Looks to be in really good nick, hope you catch many fish from her.

Dave.

snave15
26-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks Dave.

HH17L
26-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Dave, Here's a couple of mine, still looks the same as when i bought it, just added VHF radio, burley bucket & boarding ladder. 115 Yamaha, 100 litre underfloor tank.

Andrew.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/tworana/Picture3348.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/tworana/Picture573.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/tworana/Picture575.jpg

davez104
26-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Andrew, hows the old girl going? Think you might have had a little trouble with the motor early on?? Gearbox maybe? How did that work out? All good I hope. Looks like you have added a few stickers to her as well, lookin good.

How do you find the canopy while fishing? Want to fit a better one to mine and rocket launchers would be great too. I reckon it looks like it would provide good cover, just not sure if it would get in the road at all. Anything about it you would change?

Thanks.
Dave.

death_ship
27-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi love the haines, did mine up myself and put a 115 yammy fourstroke on her, i have 80 litres of fuel under the floor and 50 in the v berth, have added rocket launcher, bait board and rod holders since photo was taken. also put hydrive hydraulic steering in her (so good). have more pics somewhere.

ozscott
27-03-2007, 06:26 PM
that does indeed look like a V163 there deathship - I used to have a white and blue one...great little machine.

Cheers

death_ship
27-03-2007, 08:17 PM
yep scott she is the big sister to the v16.
I peeled the original stickers off her so i can assure you she is a 17c, they look identical except for size.

2DKnBJ
28-03-2007, 12:25 AM
When i bought my 17 R it was as basic as they come.Over the last couple of years i have slowly customised it to suit my needs.
False floor with side pockets and storage underneath,under floor tanks,pedastel seats,baitboard,bimni with front and side clears.storm cover,rocket launchers and i have a live bait/cutting board under construction.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/haines/2003_0114Image0010.jpg

28-03-2007, 11:20 AM
HH17L that is a nice looking boat, can i ask if you put the canopy on if so where did you get it? or is it custom and ruffly what are they worth?? it looks realy good and strong thanks

pilchardjones
28-03-2007, 12:46 PM
love those V17's.
ours was a 17C - we converted to a 17cc.
steve

SgBFish
28-03-2007, 04:16 PM
After all these years they still look great.
Don't know about your dash Andrew it looks well a little bit shall we say...busy. Is there a wheel there somewhere.
The proximity of the EPIRB makes me think you boat alone?
Scott

davez104
28-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I'll jump in for Andrew here, hope he doesn't mind. The canopy was on the boat when he bought it, I think it may have come off an old cruise craft, not sure. The dash was also pretty much setup the way it is now, I don't think he has changed much in that department. I ALMOST bought that boat, but Andrew beat me to it, reckon he got a good buy. Found mine a few weeks later, a fair bit cheaper, but without a lot of the extras that where allready fitted to Andrews boat.

Keep the pics coming, love em, and yes I reckon they are still a great looking boat even against some of the new ones.

2DKnB, looks like you have done a lot of work to your R, a good fishable rig.

Steve, your centre console looks awesome. What HP is the merc? Is it an optimax or standard 2st? How do you find it for performance and economy? I would like to repower mine in the next twelve months, mainly to improve the economy so I can get a bit more range out of the old girl. Don't realy want a lard @r$e four stroke hanging off the back, reckon it could upset the balance a bit. Although, I think some of the new 4st are closing the weight difference a little. We will see, still a bit of life in the old black max yet.

Dave.

death_ship
28-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Dave
my new 4stroke has less weight than the old 2stroke i relieved it of, i wouldnt go any other way than 4stroke, balance is fine. Economy was doubled!

HH17L
28-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry for not repling earlier, been a bit busy with work.

Dave, good to hear from you, problem with the motor was just badly aligned forward/reverse cables. Managed to find a great mobile mechanic down here. Bimini is great, you still have heaps of room to give the rod a big "hit" without touching it. Also makes a great thing to hold onto when moving around to the front ( i'm getting too fat to fit through the hatch.......lol........). All in all i'm very happy with it.

100, The bimini was on it when i bought it, it have been told it is modified off a Cruisecraft outsider. Would probably cost at least $1000 to have one made. It suits me perfectly as i burn easily & it offers full head height, i am 189cm tall. Looks great i reckon.:)

SgBFish, Yeah the dash does look busy, but it's very easy to reach everything. you can never be too close to your epirb, a mates boat was swamped by a wave, he never even had time to move three feet to grab his before the boat went down.

These are certainly a boat that even today still look pretty modern, i have had two people wanting to buy it, dont like their chances!!:D

skippa
28-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Guys,

Old (as in previous Haines owner, not grumply old man ::) ) here, they are a good looking rig still and give an awsome ride for their size. I had the V17R and loved it, only sold it because I wanted a cuddy cab and couldn't find a 17L at the time.

A coupla years back we had a M&G for Haines owners, the Haines day Out from memory, was a great day too. Sounds like you guys could be up for another one ;)

A few pics, the last one still counts tho, cause there's a Haines in there somewhere ... ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

davez104
28-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I do believe thats your boat Andrew.

HH17L
28-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Sure is!!!!:D :D

skippa
28-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Some pics of the Haines Day Out in 2005.

Was a great day out meeting other Haines owners, which was the start of good freindships.

pilchardjones
04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
sorry dave for late response.
i haven't checked this site for a while.
our 17cc has a 90 hp 2 stroke merc (2000 model). it is very well suited power / weight wise i believe. i think top speed is about 35 kts but a comfortable cruise is about 24kts at 4000. fuel is pretty good too at about 1 litre / NM. we fitted a 100 litre underfloor tank and i used to run 40 - 50NM each way to the reef off townsville / lucinda (carrying an extra 3 x 20 litre jerrys as spare fuel). my dad has the boat now and i have a 115 4 stroke yammie on a 6m plate boat and it is about the same economy. we haven't had a problem with the 90 merc.
steve

SgBFish
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I looked at an old 19R in blokes backyard about 12 months ago as a restoration project. when i did the sums it was cheaper to buy a new boat which was a shame as the old girl was one of the reverse chine 19's.
By the time I put a new transom on, new trailer, motor had already done 300 hours...the list went on.
Having said that it would have been great to give the old girl a new life.
Scott

mowerman
07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Finally got some pics.

First time in the water with me as owner and got some fish too.
See reports section.

The Haines went great.. Seems to work better in the rougher stuff.

See you out there some time.

Splash
08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
When i bought my 17 R it was as basic as they come.Over the last couple of years i have slowly customised it to suit my needs.
False floor with side pockets and storage underneath,under floor tanks,pedastel seats,baitboard,bimni with front and side clears.storm cover,rocket launchers and i have a live bait/cutting board under construction.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/haines/2003_0114Image0010.jpg

2DKnB - Great job,

I refer to the photos you included on page 1 of this thread.

What size fuel tank do u have at front there and what are it's dims?

Can you provide more photos of that cut-out section (from different views) in front of the pedestal seats?

How did you attach the false floor over top of that fuel tank?

Reasons for my questions - I have a similar hull and want to do the same as you..

Many thanks

Splash

ozscott
08-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice boat Mowerman - is that a V163/V16C - looks very much like one I had that I restored - same colours and all.

Cheers

mowerman
08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Gday Ozscott

Its a V17C
From the gunnells up its the original paint.The blue bit.
The rest has had the gelcoat redone and a respray a fair while ago.

Gday Splash

Mine has a 100 litre tank under the floor running from the beginning of the cab section back to the well. Not sure how deep it is but its 350mm wide by about 1900mm long. Im at Alex Hills, If you want to have a look send me a pm and we will arrange something.

Splash
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mowerman.

When u say "well", do u mean footwell at helm?

Is Alex hills in Cairns?

Splash

mowerman
08-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Sorry mate.
About 2 days drive away from Cairns.

The tank runs nearly the length of the floor. and in the bilge area is another 50 litre aux tank. Ill take some pics toomorrow and post them..

Splash
08-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Mower.

Why tank in bilge area? I thought this was a no-no- due to weight and closing up bilge area for excess water?

Splash

mowerman
09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
There is plenty of room in front of the transom for water.

Here are the pics.
The first one is the aux tank. The rest are a progression from carpet to tank.

Hope this helps.

Splash
09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Mower - great pics.

Q1 - Did you cut a lateral stringer in the middle to attain the length? If so, what structural comprises are there (if any?)

Q2 - Cost of the SS tank in bilge?

Splash

mowerman
09-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Splash

The previous owner did all the work. The tank is sitting on a flat subfloor.
Over the stringers? Im not sure.

Wouldnt have a clue as to what the SS tank cost.

Sorry

2DKnBJ
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Splash
Sorry it has taken a while for a response.Been busy and havn't been near the puta.
I will take some more pics on the weekend and put them up for you.
Where are you lacated.

Cheers Dazza

Splash
11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks Dazza.

I am in Cairns and Gove (FIFO).

Splash

Brejen
27-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Thought i'd better get a pic of the MISTRESS on.

Am about to do a bit of mod work on her real soon.

As Skippa said the HAINES DAY OUT was held by a few of us and what a great time we had ;and have had since; as well. Been a few of them now but havent had one for a while now......

Brett

Brejen
27-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Heres another one of the HAINES day outs... Up at the Bedrooms in the Broadie.

Brett

Brejen
27-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Some of the toys.

One of the best things i did was remove the Pedastool seats and made the seat boxes. I can now store the large takle boxes under them with storage in the front of them as well..IMO i reckon this has given me more room in her

Brett

Ketchitdave
28-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi 100,

I am waiting on a quote for a new stainless steel Targa from Mr T's Tinnes at Capalaba, a suburb of Brisbane, to go onto my 17L. (Sat 2/6/2007). I will post a update on how much it will cost.

Has anyone had new "V" bunk cusions made recently? I am trying to have a set made the same as the original ones but at $1125 a set I might have to change my mind.

I have had my white on red, HH 17L for 12 years now and just in the process of giving her a major makeover, so far new trailer, 115hp Johno with interior and Targa to come.

BREJEN; I was very interested in the comment posted about of replacing the pedstal seats. Can I ask what material did you use for the new cabinets that support the seat.

Great to find a bunch of HH17 owners.

Cheers

Dave

Brejen
29-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Dave
mate the seat boxes are made out of 12mm Ply that was fully sealed twice then marine grade carpet stuck on it as well . I used heavy duty Alli angle to attach them to the floor. The only thing is i used the cheaper seat bases and they arent all that great, will be replacing them when i do the pod extension.

I made them high enough to sit at while drivimg but also good height to lean on while standing when really under way. I made them really to fit the big tackle boxes but still have enough room to slide the ice box up the middle when at rest. Also made a shelf in it to store other stuff in the front.

Easy as to make mate one Sunday and few beers. Let me know if you want some measurements only to happy to help..........

Maybe another HAines Day Out again soon; might just have to be arranged.

Brett

Near fell off the chair when i saw what sorta $$$$ for the bunk cusions

skippa
29-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey Brett,

u reckon a little ol southwind could join ur next Haines Day Out???

good work on the seats too btw.

Cheers,
Tony

Ketchitdave
29-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Brett,

Thanks heaps for the pics and offer to help with the seat boxes... I like a beer or two as well. If you have the measurement that would be great.

Mate, I would be very interested in Haines day out...I will setup the email notification to make sure I don't miss out. Do you usually have them in Moreton Bay or somewhere else?

Cheers

Dave

HH17L
29-05-2007, 10:34 PM
A Haines day out sounds good to me:D

Andrew.:)

davez104
30-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Sounds like a bloody good idea, but most of you guy's are long way from Central Qld, never mind.

Brett, that boat of yours looks as good as new, has she had work done on her or just very well looked after? I like the canopy and launcher setup. I would like something similar, but not sure if something like that would be the go or a short hardtop like Andrew has on his. I am leaning toward a hardtop and clears, but not sure if it will affect its on road manners, I tow it a fair way. So many things I want to do to the old girl, little time or $$$ to devote to it all. Just finished tidying up her electrics, what a job!! All part of owning a boat and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dave.

Crestcutter
30-05-2007, 06:00 PM
She's a real well looked after Mistress Dave. I have been in Bretts boat many a time and lots of others too but nothing compares to The Mistress i must say.

Maybe when i get my 213c goin it might ride close to his. No point me using mine anyways, Brett has all the good marks. Lmao.

Darryl.

Ps, i pulled a triangle sort of shape fuel tank out of a v16c Cabin area when i owned one briefly. I have since sold the boat and the tank is still in the garage. Anyone interested in it just give me a pm.

Pedro Jnr
30-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Guys,
Great to see the old V17's still getting about, I fished in a V17C for years out of Mooloolaba it was my old boys boat, he upgraded several times when he was pro fishing, but those early years must have stuck with me because I own a 530F, these rigs were based on the old 17 footers, great boat as well

Darren

Brejen
02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
well finally got five mins to post back on here...........

Skipp well mate what can i say , sure you can bring that southwind ( Haineswannabe ), seeing as how you ARE the President of the HAines Day out Committee ;D , be great to get together again...

Ketchitdave ; Dave ;mate the measurements that i made mine are 560mm deep x 390mmwide x 600mm high... I made mine as i said to suit me so you could if you wanted change it to suit what you are after.

Andrew lets get one orginized then hey... I'm real busy at work again now so if someone wants to start with a date and go from there i'll do my best to be there. Sundays are the best days for me as working 6days again now till Chrissy..

davez104; Ta mate for the words about the Mistress. I have put a lot of time and blood into her, but have to say pulled her out of the shed today to get her ready for a trip in the morn and mate she was feral, bloody dusty sirt from top to bottom, god it's dry here but didnt really now just how dusty etc till now. Dave i have to tow mine around 55k's to the ramp as well, (not as far as you but still a haul), mines not the hard top and i just roll up the front windows and let the draft thru, it doesnt seem to make to mcuh difference in towing it i dont think.... I have tow her a couple 100k's as well and tows the same, as long as the front clears are open is all... Maybe a rather big Haines day out might be on the cards and all tow nrth and somewhere in between:o ............I'M KEEN::)

Darr mate what can i say but when we going out again bro..... What about those marks mate i'm sure ive given them all to you::) . Lets get strated on the seat boxes for ur's shortly hey.......

Brett

HH17L
02-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Brett, This could be interesting, but i'm willing to have a go at organising another "Haines day out". Thinking maybe meet somewhere around the Bribie area, sort of in the middle of the two coasts. Have a little fish early in the day then arrange somewhere nice to pull up for lunch & a chat. Sunday would be the best day for me as well, i'm working 6 days a week too. I'll start a new thread when i get time over the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Andrew.:)

Ketchitdave
03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
well finally got five mins to post back on here...........

Skipp well mate what can i say , sure you can bring that southwind ( Haineswannabe ), seeing as how you ARE the President of the HAines Day out Committee ;D , be great to get together again...

Ketchitdave ; Dave ;mate the measurements that i made mine are 560mm deep x 390mmwide x 600mm high... I made mine as i said to suit me so you could if you wanted change it to suit what you are after.

Andrew lets get one orginized then hey... I'm real busy at work again now so if someone wants to start with a date and go from there i'll do my best to be there. Sundays are the best days for me as working 6days again now till Chrissy..

davez104; Ta mate for the words about the Mistress. I have put a lot of time and blood into her, but have to say pulled her out of the shed today to get her ready for a trip in the morn and mate she was feral, bloody dusty sirt from top to bottom, god it's dry here but didnt really now just how dusty etc till now. Dave i have to tow mine around 55k's to the ramp as well, (not as far as you but still a haul), mines not the hard top and i just roll up the front windows and let the draft thru, it doesnt seem to make to mcuh difference in towing it i dont think.... I have tow her a couple 100k's as well and tows the same, as long as the front clears are open is all... Maybe a rather big Haines day out might be on the cards and all tow nrth and somewhere in between:o ............I'M KEEN::)

Darr mate what can i say but when we going out again bro..... What about those marks mate i'm sure ive given them all to you::) . Lets get strated on the seat boxes for ur's shortly hey.......

Brett

Brejen; Brett, Mate thanks again for the seat box photos and now the measurements.

Ketchitdave; Dave

fish-freak
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi all, this is my haines 17L pictured at peel is. I just love her to death!! cheers Darren.

skippa
03-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Southwind ... Haineswannabe ... you'll keep ;D

Ketchitdave
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

Yet another on one those HH17L's before she has a new Targa and Bimini fitted this week.

Hi 100, In response to your question on cost, a new Targa $2K, Bimini $800 and a T Top, same as HH17L $4k, not cheap!!!!

Brett; A new seat box is now in construction, just have to get it to look as good as yours... that's going to be a challenge.

HH Day out ...Bribie Island, great news

Cheers

Dave.

2DKnBJ
04-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Will have to keep my eye on this thread .Another HDO would be great.Catch up with a few guys i have not seen for a while and meet a few more keen fisho's

Cheers Dazza

captain rednut
04-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey Death Ship I Beleive Thats The Best Looken 17 Haines So Far Man! More Photos And Info Please And I Think I Seen You Recently Out On The Water ? Take Care Cr

death_ship
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
yo capn rednut
you may have seen me me at the cape area or caloundra wide or mud or tangalooma, i get around, I see you have a haines patriot, what a weapon, you gettin any snapper yet? i will post some pics of the rig soon, you should put pics of your big girl on here for us 17 owners to drool over. anytime you wanna go to caloundra wide for the night let me know, iam a good deckie.
catch ya
Bretto

captain rednut
05-06-2007, 08:02 PM
hey death ship heres my photo of my rig and yes it was you we saw at tempest the other week, ill keep an eye out cheers cr

Ketchitdave
26-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi All,

Yet another on one those HH17L's before she has a new Targa and Bimini fitted this week.

Hi 100, In response to your question on cost, a new Targa $2K, Bimini $800 and a T Top, same as HH17L $4k, not cheap!!!!

Brett; A new seat box is now in construction, just have to get it to look as good as yours... that's going to be a challenge.

HH Day out ...Bribie Island, great news

Cheers

Dave.

New Targa now fitted, a really great job, excellent craftmanship....what do you reckon?

fish-freak
26-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Dave, yeah that targa really sets her off!! Nice rig mate!!
cheers
dazza...

Brejen
29-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Looks the goods Dave.

How's the seat boxes mate get them done yet.

Brett

Ketchitdave
29-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks the goods Dave.

How's the seat boxes mate get them done yet.

Brett

Hi Brett,

Thanks mate, bit like you the job has kept me very busy over the past couple of weeks, hope to complete the seat boxes the following weekend. I have made up some templates based on your measurements, so far their looking pretty good.

Dave

the Master Baiter
26-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Heres Mine.;) Had a few mods.70864 70865By the way. Its for sale.

maru222
26-08-2011, 01:47 PM
very nice job!

Fast Break
27-08-2011, 05:01 PM
This is my V17C. It has a 115 Johnson on the back of it and it has a 90 litre in floor fuel tank.

A couple of years ago I had the transom, stringers and bunks completely stripped and rebuilt so she is now stronger than the original boat so i should have her for many years to come.

I was going to get the outside resprayed but the cost put me off, especially as I see her as a fishing boat not a luxury vessel.

Great in choppy seas and is perfect for estuary, bay and offshore fishing which I try to do as often as I can. Also great for overnight trips with my 10 and 11 year old sons.

Plenty of good times for sure.

The_Tub
27-08-2011, 05:20 PM
there a great hull the haines,when i was young the grand father had the 16r with a 90 jonno it got on the plane quick.was wondering what is the maximum hp for 17r?
acouple of years ago at a port stephens spearfishing comp there was a 17r with a 225 on it

South Aussie
14-01-2012, 04:11 PM
The compliance plate on my V17R says 175 hp is the max. I have just re-powered with a Merc 150 and by jingoes it bloody goes. I doubt that you would need to put anything bigger than that on it. I am just finishing off a few things and thought I might post a few pics of my rejuvenated V17R. It is, as you say a great hull and when my old Mariner 140 gave up the ghost I didnt have the heart to sell it off, so I did it up and am REALLY pleased with it. Cheers.