PDA

View Full Version : Reddies at blowering dam/ hume dam

brian steele
25-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone

I am researching the growth potential of 'reddies' Perch in Australian waters, I have already had some great help from two guys, has anyone else caught or witnessed large reddies being caught in the dams named or any Aussie waters.
Any pictures, loctions, baits, information would be really helpfull.

Many thanks already to Angry and Bobby j.

If anyone wants to know anything about successfull methods and baits that we use for catching them I will be only to happy to provide that information, who knows it may help you put that special fish on the bank.

clinker
14-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Brian

20 odd years ago i could go out to Rocklands and catch 100 Reddies in 1 hr, ranging from 3/4 lb for the majority, some nice ones in the 1 1/2 - 2 lb mark and then every now and then a 5 lb one could be caught.

Now days you are pushing too get 3/4 lb

Lake Hume present, you see then on the surface chasing insects maybe around 3 inches long. Catching then now most are about 1/2 lb. Even the reddies dont grow anymore.

Do you have any ideas on why. Some say its because they are so prevelant now in the water, but if their is so many why cant we catch them.

brian steele
17-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi Clinker

First of all thanks for the reply...

Your question is bigger than you think, I will try to make my answer as short as possible, it is based on opinion and experience.
Big 'Reddies' are a totally different creature than small ones, small redfin are fearless and bold, they will tackle anything, hence they are easy to catch. Big ones are a different proposition altogether, they have different feeding habits, behaviour.
Small reddies feed 'up' in the water, they are a social fish, so you will always find them in shoals of a similar size, Big Redies are territorial in the warmer (Summer months) they are usually alone or in pairs during this time, food is abundant and if you locate one and take it, you will have to wait until another moves into the area which could be weeks or even months. They lie up just off the shoals of small fish taking any stragglers that come close enough.
In the Winter the Bigger Reddies shoal up and move into the DEEPEST water, they stay in this area throughout the winter leaving large areas of the lake or Dam with No Reddies at all, they lie on the bottom and 'switch' off, they can stay like this for days or even weeks, when conditions are right (in winter this can be in the middle of a bright sunny day)they switch on again and feed, they move round as a group. When they move out on the feed they hunt through weed beds, structures and the like flushing prey out (we call this beating) The feeding spell may only last an hour or so, after it has finished they always return to the same 'resting' area.
When they are switched off you would have to drop a bait right on the money to tempt any response, a lure would have to be presented as close to the bottom as possible with the retrieve dead slow. On the other hand if you are lucky enough to find them when they are on the move you will be in for a big 'hit'.

If your water used to hold big Reddies, it will again (and probably does now) You will need to spend some time locating them, I won't go into detail of how I catch them but what I will say is, what brings success with small ones doesn't neccesarily interest the big ones, think of how a big cat hunts, do they rush in from yards away waisting valuable energy....

Good luck mate I hope you get a big one (and put it back) :o)

BEST REGARDS Brian

brian steele
17-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Let me know how you go on mate.