PDA

View Full Version : electric motors

tehrah
24-03-2007, 10:01 PM
just wanting to know how well would a 54 lb electric motor push a 16 foot tinnie i am thinking of getting one for trolling i know it depends on conditions and
so forth but what would be the average speed and how many hours operation
before the battery goes flat.any advice appreciated

tehrah

NAGG
25-03-2007, 03:01 PM
just wanting to know how well would a 54 lb electric motor push a 16 foot tinnie i am thinking of getting one for trolling i know it depends on conditions and
so forth but what would be the average speed and how many hours operation
before the battery goes flat.any advice appreciated

tehrah ..... 16Ft tinnie covers a pretty broad range & weight !::) If it is a basic tinny , then the 54lb would be fine .... However if you have a barra / bass type boat & fish with a couple of mates ..... Then most definitely a 24 volt 74-80lb is the go ! (My 480 Hornet uses no more than) 25% for a 3-4 hour lure casting session)...... Batteries are the key ... go the biggest you can afford (120 AMP for a 12 Volt 54lb ...... 2 x 100amp , 120amp for a 74lb) ..... That will give you 4-5 hours continuous trolling at half throttle) :) NAGG

kingtin
25-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I have a 54lb on my 3.95 stacer. Judging by how it pushes that with just me in it, I wouldn't like to rate it on anything bigger with more people in it. Then again, I'm not sure just how much weight would be required to diminish it's performance. I'm quite happy with it on mine considering that I use it where there's tidal flow.

kev

Sniper
26-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I've got a 435 Hornet Trophy with a Riptide 55ld Bowmont on her. At full noise, full live well, water not fish :'( , it does 2.6 knots. On a bigger boat, I'd seriously be looking at a 24volt system, at least 70ish lb, preferable 80lb. The more gunt, the less trottle needed. Well thats my theory anyway. Have a talk to a few dealers and then make up your own mind. Also depends on your budget too.
Cheers
Billyboy

Bassjunky
27-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I run a 55lb riptide bowmount on a 435 Blue fin wildcat. Bare hull weighs over 300kg It works extremely well. If it a basic tinnie it should work fine but if its a side console with live wells etc I would probably look at going 70 to 80lb and If its only for trolling use aswell.
I would also grab atleast a 120 amp battery too.:)

NAGG
27-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I run a 55lb riptide bowmount on a 435 Blue fin wildcat. Bare hull weighs over 300kg It works extremely well. If it a basic tinnie it should work fine but if its a side console with live wells etc I would probably look at going 70 to 80lb and If its only for trolling use aswell.
I would also grab atleast a 120 amp battery too.:)
..... This is what I heard when I was looking at a leccy for my 480 Hornet ...... with this in mind , I moved up to 74lb (24 volt) & I could not be happier:) Go underpowered & you might as well throw your money away:( .... there is no such thing as overpowered when it come to leccys! .... you just end up with running less throttle & having longer battery life (both day to day & longevity) ....... The last thing you want is to drain your battery flat each time you go fishing !:P NAGG