PDA

View Full Version : Define a Charter

charleville
24-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I admit that I am just a slow talkin' country boy from western Queensland :-/ and have a simplistic view of life but I have always been confused by the term "Charter" as it applies to fishing charters.

To me, calling something a charter boat would imply that the whole boat is for charter not just one seat.

That is certainly what is meant when you see a bus going past with "Charter" showing in the destination box. Yet, I have paid my $ to go on charter boats as a solo entity amongst a bunch of other people. If that were not the case , how would they ever operate in tourist locations unless it were just to take groups of work-mates or clubs who charter the whole boat as a group.

Can anyone explain the origin and legal meaning of the term "charter boat" when used in the context of fishing charters, please?

Yes I am dumb but I do it very well. ;D

kingtin
24-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes I am dumb but I do it very well. ;D

I think not me Old Charlie :D

I think the word "charter" is loosely applied to activities that have some kind of legal binding (contract). "Charter" was originally used as a term to describe a "paper" (document detailing a contract) as in the Magna Carta, which if my memory serves was a contract between the sovereign and the people.

I suppose a charter boat or a chartered bus implies that there is a legally binding charter on those who contract to the deal, (passengers and owners). Both parties are then protected.

I'm guessing::) ;D

kev

charleville
26-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Kev. :)

Seems like you have the only thoughts on the matter. ;D

Very pleased to receive your thoughts. :)

rob tranter
26-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Charter-n.
1 a document granting rights,issued esp. by a sovereign or legislature. b written constitution or description of an organisation's functions etc.
2 contract to hire aircraft, ship, etc for a special purpose-v 1 grant a charterto. 2 hire (aircraft, ship, etc)
"Latin chartula:related to chart"

Now how's that for an answer
Now can you tell me what it all means;D

In relation to the boat, or fishing charter, you more than likely can hire the whole boat, but can you afford it?:)
Thats why you're fishing with a boat full of strangers, because you can't afforf to Charter the whole boat.
Oh yeh, it took me a fare while to type above from my Funcken wagnal.
Thats a Dictionary I think?;D
Rob8-)

theoldlegend
26-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Charlie,

See if you can wade through this:

"A ship's charter, or charter party, is the commercial lease of a vessel, or the principal part of a vessel, by the owner to another person, usually for the transportation of cargo. A voyage charter leases a vessel for a voyage, or series of voyages, to designated places, while a time charter leases a vessel for a specified period of time"

It's not much to go on and probably doesn't answer your question. I imagine if one were to sink while at sea with paying passengers on board, then the solicitors etc would quickly define the legal meaning of the term in the courts.

I guess that we could call container ships, bulk carriers and the like, as some type of "charter vessels", going by the description above.

TOL

Lucky_Phill
26-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Good question Charlie, and one for the lateral thinkers.

There are 2 types of ' fishing ' charters here.

1. Charter Boat
2. Fishing Guide

1. Charter boat is a Commercially Registered fishing vessel that offers a Fishing Service to the general public in return for money. These operators offer a whole boat charter or a seat charter.

The whole boat charter, IMO, is the best way to go as you will have an organized group with most likely a leader, and that person will be responsible for the group in relation to what gear will be used, collection of monies, liase' with the skipper etc.

The seat charter , being the ' cattle truck ' is made up of all-sorts and this leads to disaster, most times. Different people fishing with different gear, bad manners, no leadership, spewers and the like.

The Fishing Guide, is a personal service that will ( in 99% of cases ) return you a memorable day and fish too boot. This is usually one on one and obviously more expensive than getting together in a group, BUT, it definately has it's pluses.

But to answer your question, I believe you are ' chartering ' the SERVICE, not the boat. Once you make contact with the operator of that Boat, you then define the TYPE of Charter.

Hope this helps ::) :o 8-)

Phill

charleville
26-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys.

I think that Lucky Phil wins the prize so far with his reasoned perspective that makes some sort of logical sense to me. (Do you need another door, Phil? ;D )

Thanks for the other responses also. I wonder what a container ship would cost to charter for an afternoon's fishing, TOL? ;D Probably enough to make you go, "Funcken wagnal!!!" ;D ;D ;D

I agree with your views, Phil, about the disparate nature of the cattle truck charters. I have been on a charter and happy to use the big Alvey reel that they issued me for the trip but another couple of silly old f---ts were not happy unless they had overhead reels.

They got their overheads but it did not matter. They caught nuthin' anyway. ;D ;D ;D