PDA

View Full Version : What are you bringing to the Rod Building Weekend

roz
24-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I was just wondering what everyone is bringing along to the RBW, and what they hope to achieve.

I will start the ball rolling.

I will be brining a blank made by Hastings. To be used for bottom fishing up north.

Challenger DHXURC60 HXF XFast 10-15kg 6'. Still havn't decided what fittings I want for the Butt section, I've almost made my mind up on guides, won't say until I have them, might just ask a few question first.

I would like to gain more experience & knowlege

roz

finga
24-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I know I'm definitely bringing a smoko (or 2) and lunch :D
I was atually thinking about bringing the outriggers to get some new thingamejigs put on. :)
Big brother is going to bring his beach rod our Pop made for him about 100 years ago to redo the bindings.
:)
Gees time goes slow when you want it to hurry up :(

Owen
24-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty keen on the Pacific Composites AF3102 spinning blank for the RBW weekend, but with the aussie dollar so good a Hastings USA C704DHX is looking pretty good. I'm basically looking at a beefy spin rod for reefies.
It's too much pressure :bomb:

If I were to look at it logically then I'd probably bring a clunker blank so I can try as many different ideas as possible over the weekend.
For me that's the beauty of it. Having so many people in one place putting their own slant on a task.
I'm never too proud to pinch a good idea ;)

PinHead
24-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I know I'm definitely bringing a smoko (or 2) and lunch :D
I was atually thinking about bringing the outriggers to get some new thingamejigs put on. :)
Big brother is going to bring his beach rod our Pop made for him about 100 years ago to redo the bindings.
:)
Gees time goes slow when you want it to hurry up :(

no need to bring any tucker..last year we lit the barbie for lunch...a few bucks to cover the costs of the food and then a few beers at the end of the day...check with roz re this...I think she is planning on the same set up as last year.

Poodroo
24-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll be sticking with my original plans and bringing the Snyder Glas rod to redo with Fuji guides. I also will bring another small Wilson boat rod which was a personal favourite for many years until the guides and reel seat decided that they were past their useby. The blank is good still so it may well be worth bringing along too. Will stick to the Snyder Glas rod to work on for the RBW and maybe with my new found knowledge will do the Wilson up at a later date at home if you guys think it is worth spending the money on it. Really looking forward to the RBW. Can't wait!

Poodroo

Stuart
24-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Roz

Stick with the Fuji Heavy duty reel seat it helps keep the weight down. Try and get Hypolon grips instead of the crap EVA. As for guides, get Fuji HNSG and a UST top. Looking forward to the weekend.

Stu

roz
24-03-2007, 09:20 PM
no need to bring any tucker..last year we lit the barbie for lunch...a few bucks to cover the costs of the food and then a few beers at the end of the day...check with roz re this...I think she is planning on the same set up as last year.

Yes,

We will do the same as last year, worked perfectly & $5.00 covered everything.

There will be (hopefully) an urn for a cuppa when ever you feel like making yourself one.

If you wish to bring your own cup feel free, or it's just the styrene cups provided.

Only a little over a month to go now. I will PM everyone with a list of items you will need to bring... mainly things you will probably have around the house anyway, so don't panic.

roz.

blaze
24-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Hope you all put the butts on the wrong end and the eyes upside down :)
wish I could be at this one:(
have fun guys and girls
cheers
blaze

grave41
24-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Roz
Maybe the Albagraph 5 or the 2 McGinn spin Sticks or the graphcast 1.Not sure just yet. Got some different thread coming from the states.
Graham

finga
27-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Hope you all put the butts on the wrong end and the eyes upside down :)
wish I could be at this one:(
have fun guys and girls
cheers
blaze
Hop on a plane and make the trip up for a few days or week
Bed, feed and taxi at my house :)
Then your words may bite you on your bum....eyes up side down ;D

blaze
27-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi Finga
The thought had crossed my mind but WA in aug for 3-4 weeks and 1770 in oct for 9 days, kitchen renos ATM, in betwwen all that I has better do a bit of work to fund it all.
AND I still havnt got a blank (been playing with an old kids rod)
cheers
blaze

sandyd
28-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I had all plans of bring a GUSA 703DHX 10-17LB, with Pacific Bay TV TIGOLD guides. When placing the order I came across these IM6 Graphite Spin/Cast Blanks on special and ended up ordering 6, the dearest being $19 US.

So as this is going to be a first for me I now think I will bring one of those
el-cheapo blanks to practice on and leave the GUSA for when I can get all the components I want and I have a little more experience up my sleeve.

After seeing the end result of Finga's wood rod handles I would love to have one of those on the GUSA so it looks like wood turning classes is now on my list to do. Beautifully work Finga.

But first I need to learn to crawl.

finga
28-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Gees looks like a butt building day or two coming up eh :)
It's a pity I can't bung the lathe in Wally the wagon to bring on the RB M&G :(

Poodroo
28-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Attention everyone. New venue proposal. The RBW should be moved to scotty's place. ;D ;D ::)

Poodroo

blaze
28-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Poodroo
dont let little things like that worry ya, have it on good authorty that mail order will be available early next week. Just dont know wether authorty agrees with me
:D
cheers
blaze
ps
only jealous i wont be there, I will try my best to make ever thing go backwards

2DKnBJ
28-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a couple of Ugly Sticks that are looking a bit worse for wear so looks like one of them will be getting a new lease of life at the RBW.

Cheers Dazza

roz
28-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a couple of Ugly Sticks that are looking a bit worse for wear so looks like one of them will be getting a new lease of life at the RBW.

Cheers Dazza

I did a reno on one of my old ugly sticks, just new guides and binding but huge difference, will bring it along and show you.

r.

roz
28-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Roz
Maybe the Albagraph 5 or the 2 McGinn spin Sticks or the graphcast 1.Not sure just yet. Got some different thread coming from the states.
Graham

what ever you do Graham, don't show me those "different threads", I have to control my 'must have' impulse, which is very difficult around fishing tackle and related items. I've got more self control in a shop full of stilletos on special....not kidding!!!

r.

sandyd
29-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Roz
Graham

Graham

What brand of thread are you getting? I have been experimenting with embroidery threads mainly for weaving and having had some success but won't really know how successful till I put on the color stay ect. Can't seem to find enough colors though.

Sandra

sandyd
29-03-2007, 05:08 AM

Don't need to learn how to build on my butt Scott can do that by myself :-/ , now a day or two in wood turning rod handles, that is a different matter. ::)

Sandra

roz
29-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Don't need to learn how to build on my butt Scott can do that by myself :-/ , now a day or two in wood turning rod handles, that is a different matter. ::)

Sandra

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Owen
29-03-2007, 10:04 PM
There's just no way I can get involved in this conversation and live :-X

Just as important as the rods IMO is the tools etc that people have found useful to do the job.
I'm looking forward to seeing what magic gizmos people have invented and/or use.

After all, it's only recently I learned that the best thing for cleaning a V8 rocker cover is the dish washer!

finga
30-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Your right about the last few posts...ain't no way a bloke could comment and survive. :smash:

I'm working on some rollers at the moment matey. :)

Looking forward to see your software personally so you can tell me how it all works and what it all means :D
I reckon you're going to save a lot of people a lot of time with it and we're going to see a lot of different pictures on rods :)

Owen
30-03-2007, 02:11 PM
If I can find the time to get it done, I was planning to bring a home made lathe I'm working on. Uses parts out of a dead MIG welder for the motor and motor control circuit.
I had planned on using some nice alloy extrusion, but that's impossible to come by here in any range, so the bed may end up as timber.

Anyone at the RBW will receive a copy of the software if they want it.
So far I'm underwhelmed by the feedback on it though.
A few people are downloading it, but not many offering any suggestions or requests. I was hoping that by getting people involved in the very early stages I could build a better mousetrap, but it appears people don't understand the concept of Beta software. It is incomplete and often full of bugs.
Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread with that.

roz
30-03-2007, 08:50 PM
There's just no way I can get involved in this conversation and live :-X

Just as important as the rods IMO is the tools etc that people have found useful to do the job.
I'm looking forward to seeing what magic gizmos people have invented and/or use.

After all, it's only recently I learned that the best thing for cleaning a V8 rocker cover is the dish washer!

Owen,

You will be just soooo impressed by my hi tech lathe gadget thingo!!!

finga
30-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Owen,

You will be just soooo impressed by my hi tech lathe gadget thingo!!!
Is that the same you-beaut gismo that you sent the pictures of to me??
::)

roz
30-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Is that the same you-beaut gismo that you sent the pictures of to me??
::)

Can't remember what pics I sent you..... but if there was a right one and a left one & they can be used for things other than rod building, could be what you are talking about.

r

finga
31-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Yep. And they're made in sweat shops :D

thedeckie
02-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Think I may pop over and check out this rod building turnout!!!!:P

I will be bringing the following............

1) Myself 8-)

2) 6 pack of something ;D

3) Bad Attitude :-*

4) And just to p!ss everyone off,have arranged to collect TOL on the way;D ;D

Cheers

Paul

Lucky_Phill
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
MMM,

I'll bring along a Hastings Pioneer Challenger P-URC60H-F ( 15-24kg )

Matching it up to some MNSG guides, ( or ALPS S/S guides ) Hypalon grips, Lock-Down reel seat and Perfection gimble.

Not too sure on the colours for binding yet, but something simple and effective is the plan.

OH, I'll bring the " Good Attitude ". ;), healthy appetite and a Thirst !!!

Phill

PinHead
02-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Think I may pop over and check out this rod building turnout!!!!:P

I will be bringing the following............

1) Myself 8-)

2) 6 pack of something ;D

3) Bad Attitude :-*

4) And just to p!ss everyone off,have arranged to collect TOL on the way;D ;D

Cheers

Paul

not a problem paul...will give the ridgeback something to chase..you and TOL...hehe

roz
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
not a problem paul...will give the ridgeback something to chase..you and TOL...hehe

Greg, he's just in training for the October M&G.

Once you get to know him you will understand::), we just don't say anything.

r.

thedeckie
03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Greg, he's just in training for the October M&G.

Once you get to know him you will understand::), we just don't say anything.

r.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Love you too Roz.....xxxx

sid_fishes
25-04-2007, 07:40 PM
well i picked up my blank today, a calstar gf700xl, matching it with fuji gimble/ reel seat, fugi mnst tip, svsg guides and hypalon grips , so i,m now looking forward to the brw. now i just have to get the reel cheers ian

Stuart
25-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I will bring my linisher so we can shape some grips and grind guide feet.

Stu

roz
25-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Did i say I was bringing my super/duper/wizzbang Hastings Blank that will catch everything from vermin to marlin!!!!

r.

finga
26-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Did i say I was bringing my super/duper/wizzbang Hastings Blank that will catch everything from vermin to marlin!!!!

r.
I'll be interested in that final result as I have the same blank sitting in the rod rack just waiting to be operated on.:)

roz
26-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I'll be interested in that final result as I have the same blank sitting in the rod rack just waiting to be operated on.:)

I've just finished the cross wrapping on this blank... bloody hope I've put it in the right spot, or that's three days work down the tubes.

Doesn't bare thinking about:'(

r.

sid_fishes
26-04-2007, 06:54 PM
geez everybody knows you are bringing your super doper whiz bang hastings blank roz have fun with it hey ian

sid_fishes
26-04-2007, 06:55 PM
oh and where are the pics girl hmmmmmm

finga
26-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I will bring my linisher so we can shape some grips and grind guide feet.

Stu
I have one as well Stuart and also one of those power files. Would they be handy to take??

finga
26-04-2007, 08:10 PM
How are you off for tables (or work platforms) Greg??

sandyd
27-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Looks like our order is not going to turn up on time, we do have two weeks left but I am one of these people who has there fuel tank half full when going to the super market and leave nothing to chance.

So urgent order going in today to mo's. Asked Owen to pic something cheap for now just to play with, anyone who wants to have a go at explaining cheap to him please do. :-/

I have been thinking of getting cork rings for the grip, but was wondering will there be enough time to construct a grip from these or will I run out of time? Is there someone who will be able to show the best way to do this?

PinHead
27-04-2007, 11:59 AM
How are you off for tables (or work platforms) Greg??

last year I hired a few trestle tables and some chairs..will do the same this year.

PinHead
27-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Looks like our order is not going to turn up on time, we do have two weeks left but I am one of these people who has there fuel tank half full when going to the super market and leave nothing to chance.

So urgent order going in today to mo's. Asked Owen to pic something cheap for now just to play with, anyone who wants to have a go at explaining cheap to him please do. :-/

I have been thinking of getting cork rings for the grip, but was wondering will there be enough time to construct a grip from these or will I run out of time? Is there someone who will be able to show the best way to do this?

definition of cheap...anything between $200 and $1000...hehe

sandyd
27-04-2007, 05:35 PM
definition of cheap...anything between $200 and $1000...hehe

Beer for the next few months or a cheap blank, decisions decision's, :end:

finga
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Got some necessities made up for the RB week-end.
I've got the rollers for big brother and myself made now.
I've built one dryer setup for BB (microwave plate turner motor) and now working on the variable speed/reversible setup for me.
I was going to use a battery drill motor but the Festo battery drill I saved for the project is cactus so looking for another under the house now. Still thinking about what I can do with the clutch setup and keyless chuck
The Dewalt is looking good as a donor if I can't find a motor by tomorrow.

grave41
07-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Roz & Sandyd,
Thread is sunline.Holland & holland and some others. Pick up some more this week. I"ll bring a cork grip clamp along to give people ideas " ROZ",some rings to play with. Roz what diameter hole is that u beaut blank so i can bring the right ones plus other bits for grips. Still havent decided on the blank yet.
Sorry about the late reply.I havent been near the computer for a while.
Graham

Roy McGraw
26-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Hay Folks I need 4 open Runners For my old Sticks, Help Me Roy ,,ijrluresak@yahoo.com. in the US. wishing i were there From Alaska Roy

Roy McGraw
26-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Hay Folks give an old Irish Boy a hand i need 4 Open runners Thanks Roy