PDA

View Full Version : Who serves real oysters?

the gecko
24-03-2007, 01:13 PM
After going to yet another seafood restuarant on the Gold Coast, and getting oysters that are NOT attached to the shell, we are getting really disappointed.
Is there some guy in the back of the kitchen that washed these oyster shells out and spoons them in from a jar? They taste like c$%p.

Maybe the collective wisdom of ausfish knows of a restuarant on the Gold Coast that prides itself on serving real oysters, still attached to the shell? If you do Mrs Gecko will be very thankful (no jokes pls).

I see a few guys here know a lot about the wholesale industry. MAybe you could point me to a good supplier, and I can ask who they retail thru. Is it an issue about transporting them alive from somewhere interstate? Just curious.

thx
Andrew

Heath
24-03-2007, 07:38 PM
The Marriott has fresh oysters & some shmuck, shucking them there n then as well.... at least they did last time I was there.

Dezzer
24-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Have had some good oysters at different places and they have always been detached. I presumed that the chef/cook does this for convenience.

Regards

first_mate
24-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Mate, I had fresh oysters at the Glen Hotel, Eight Mile Plains (south of Brisbane) on Monday.
They order them in, shuck them to order on the premises.

Angus

BAR UP
24-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Mate Ashmore Steak & Seafood, also Morgans Seafoods at Scarborough, they open them in front of you. I also have a secret spot where i eat them straight off the rocks (public lease). I have been doing this for years and if there is anyone else about i dont go anywhere near them. My little secret!::)

sarg
24-03-2007, 09:49 PM
If you want to get some yourself we used to get them from one of the retailers at straddie every xmas we'd place the order over the phone and then they would send them over on the taxi and pay COD. Haven't done it for a few years now but would expect they still do it and the oysters were fresh as and tasted the best.

Andrew

timddo
24-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I get mine from City Oysters, open fresh in front of you or you can buy them live adn open it yourself. They are always fresh,

SCOTTYGC
24-03-2007, 10:37 PM
most restuarants/resorts/hotels buy the oysters opened

places on the gold coast like chards oysters supply most of the coast and they open them fresh daily
they open them remove the oyster wash out the shell so you dont get any grit when you eat them and place the oyster back on its original shell

At some places i have worked they buy in fresh whole oysters and shuck them on site but you pay a premium for the service
but they still remove them from the shell and wash them
this is what most people want so thats what they serve

presently at work we are buying fresh opened plate size oysters (this is a trade size not the size of a plate) for around $8 a dozen, but we buy them by the 100 dozen
they come down from brisbane daily and he services a lot of 5 star hotels from the sunshine coast down to the tweed

if you want good fresh oysters still attached to the shell you mite have to buy some unopened and do it yourself

if you need any contacts send me a pm

cheers
scotty

keepitreel
25-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Sunshine Coast Oyster Service. they have the best oysters I have ever tasted. A few different varieties and at the right price.
Give them a ring.
(07) 54932942

rando
25-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Yep
I agree with previous posts , standard practice when preparing oysters is to loosen the oyster in the shell, ready to eat.

the gecko
25-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Thx for the education guys. I had no idea they were removing the oyster and washing them before serving them.

Perhaps I shoudl ask, why do some oysters taste better than others? Is it the species, or the way they are handled, or the length of time from harvesting to serving? many are pretty pooor in taste, while others are exceptional.

The best Ive had so far,were served to me at a little restuarant in Yamba near the bar, where they owned their own lease and harvested the oyster right next to the restaurant.

Thx for the tip on Ashmore, thats not far from us at Helensvale.
We will try that place next.

Andrew

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Mate Ashmore Steak & SeafoodI'll second that one, great place, also Tweed do some beautys, fresh as a daisy, just delish :)

Barraless
25-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Mate if you want oysters in Bris go to Sams Oysters (no connection to Sams seafoods) They are a wholsale company that will sell to the public. They are in Carindale

Cheers Matt.B.

Argle
26-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll have to check out the one at Carindale, there is no better oyster in the world than one cooked in its shell on the BBQ until it pops itself open then sluuuurrrrp down the hatch, washed down with a couple of XXXX golds! MMMMMM getting hungry already.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Noelm
26-03-2007, 10:30 AM
when oysters are opened (shucked) they DO remove the meat to wash, but a good opener does not need to do this, but they are turned over for presentation, as the Oyster looks far better with the "deep" side up, so that is why it is done, not just for washing, and good Oysters are not too hard to find, though some smaller shops do not have a big turn over and so the do "sit" around for a while, you can get your own of course, then you will have no problem with freshness.

snakecatcher
26-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Sunshine Coast Oyster Service. they have the best oysters I have ever tasted. A few different varieties and at the right price.
Give them a ring.
(07) 54932942

I was also going to suggest these guys - excellent oysters at great prices, Can't get fresher or better in my opinion. Long drive from the GC but if you are up here get stuck in - big coffin bay oysters are about $10/11 bucks a dozen.

the gecko
26-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Thx for the tip on serving them deep side up noel. That explains a bit about serving style.

Yes, I know I can get them from many good wholsalers and retail fishmongers.

Im asking why restuarants dont often serve good ones? Maybe they order them in weekly instead of daily? I see a few guys here know something about their preparation and resale.

Its amazing how much we can learn from ausfish. Im enjoying learning about oysters.

thx
Andrew

Noelm
26-03-2007, 03:40 PM
you are right MOST resturants will only get them once or twice a week, have you ever seen the air tools they use to open them? even a mug like me can open them in a jiffy, it is like a tiny "jackhammer" just hold the Oyster flat side up, put "tool" on the hinge and bbbzzz open, easy as, mind you a pro opener can do it just as fast, flip off the lid, turn meat over, put in tray "next please".